Power cord comparison: Nordost Odin Gold vs CrystalConnect da Vinci vs Argento Audio EE

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Odin 2 can sound a little harsh in some system, Odin is a lot more forgiving. In general, Odin series characteristic sound is detailed and high resolution. Odin Gold clearly shows the maturity of the series. It is giving more resolution and dynamics without sounding harsh. It is very refined.
I think if you find Odin a bit harsh you might want to avoid Nordost all together and go for an all copper cable?

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
Anybody listen to the Gobel A/C Power cord , and did any comparisons to the other list of heavy hitters?

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Anybody listen to the Gobel A/C Power cord , and did any comparisons to the other list of heavy hitters?
I have two of them on my preamp and find them pretty good. They imparted a slightly darker flavour than my Crystal Cable cords and they were a little thicker sounding too which is what I like. They are a complete pain to handle though as they are very heavy.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Michael and Amy from Nordost/USA visited Rhapsody last week. They brought the full loom of Odin Gold to try out in my systems.

I have a few Odin/Odin2 customers that are interested in Odin Gold and were interested to hear the differences between Odin 2 and Odin Gold.

Initially the system was set up with all Odin 2. (IC's, PCs and sp. cables)

We then started with replacing the Odin2 PC's with the Odin Gold PCs. Then we replaced the Odin 2 ICs with Odin Gold and finally the speakers cables.

The people in attendance felt the PC's made the most significant difference. Then the Sp. cables, finally the ICs.

I found that, taking $$$ into account, that I REALLY liked the sound in my system with leaving my Odin 2 PC's and IC's installed and I am initially replacing the Odin2 speakers cables with Odin Gold speaker cables. The Odin Gold sp. cables will be delivered in January.

Down the road I will add a few of the Odin Gold Power cords. Although right now IN MY SYSTEMS AND TO MY EARS I really like the Odin Gold speaker cables with Odin 2 everywhere else. I will be a happy camper with this set up for the first part of '22.

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
Stage 3 Concepts ... Kraken A/C power cords , and Proteus power cords.... have them both.

TLi

May 27, 2016
Michael and Amy from Nordost/USA visited Rhapsody last week. They brought the full loom of Odin Gold to try out in my systems.

I have a few Odin/Odin2 customers that are interested in Odin Gold and were interested to hear the differences between Odin 2 and Odin Gold.

Initially the system was set up with all Odin 2. (IC's, PCs and sp. cables)

We then started with replacing the Odin2 PC's with the Odin Gold PCs. Then we replaced the Odin 2 ICs with Odin Gold and finally the speakers cables.

The people in attendance felt the PC's made the most significant difference. Then the Sp. cables, finally the ICs.

I found that, taking $$$ into account, that I REALLY liked the sound in my system with leaving my Odin 2 PC's and IC's installed and I am initially replacing the Odin2 speakers cables with Odin Gold speaker cables. The Odin Gold sp. cables will be delivered in January.

Down the road I will add a few of the Odin Gold Power cords. Although right now IN MY SYSTEMS AND TO MY EARS I really like the Odin Gold speaker cables with Odin 2 everywhere else. I will be a happy camper with this set up for the first part of '22.
It takes a few weeks for Odin Gold power cord to burn in and really performs to its best.
I agree PC is most influential, SC to follow then IC.
Most systems only use one pair of SC, it is the most “cost effective” way of upgrade. It takes a lot more power cords to fully loaded up a system.
I just ordered some more PC but Nordost is now very slow in its production due to supply chain and logistics, expect more than 4 to 8 weeks for delivery

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
It takes a few weeks for Odin Gold power cord to burn in and really performs to its best.
I agree PC is most influential, SC to follow then IC.
Most systems only use one pair of SC, it is the most “cost effective” way of upgrade. It takes a lot more power cords to fully loaded up a system.
I just ordered some more PC but Nordost is now very slow in its production due to supply chain and logistics, expect more than 4 to 8 weeks for delivery
Luckily the all of the Odin Gold were already broken in when I heard them. Understood about the deliveries. I'm getting used to waiting a bit longer for EVERYTHING these days, although anticipation is fun as well, especially after you have already had the opportunity to listen to what you are waiting for.

TLi

May 27, 2016
Luckily the all of the Odin Gold were already broken in when I heard them. Understood about the deliveries. I'm getting used to waiting a bit longer for EVERYTHING these days, although anticipation is fun as well, especially after you have already had the opportunity to listen to what you are waiting for.
They can burn in the cables with Vidar II but not for power cords. It requires them to be connected on a equipment and play for a few weeks.

Most dealers can’t burn in PC enough before demo. I know that from my personal experience. That’s why I bring it up to remind you. The Gold PC is better than what you have heard.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
They can burn in the cables with Vidar II but not for power cords. It requires them to be connected on a equipment and play for a few weeks.

Most dealers can’t burn in PC enough before demo. I know that from my personal experience. That’s why I bring it up to remind you. The Gold PC is better than what you have heard.
And that’s a good thing!

Reactions: Pokey77

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
What does that say about connector plating and the sound of rhodium vs. gold? About conductor metallurgy?
I know I'm an outlier in this group so no need to beat me up, but why anyone thinks rhodium sounds good (with some noteworthy exceptions such as AC connectors for subwoofers) is still a mystery to me.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
I know I'm an outlier in this group so no need to beat me up, but why anyone thinks rhodium sounds good (with some noteworthy exceptions such as AC connectors for subwoofers) is still a mystery to me.
Me too - hate the amusical sound of rhodium and have deliberately purged it from my system.

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
Replace Rhodium with Gold? Didn't Furutech first tried Gold , then end up with Rhodium ?

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Replace Rhodium with Gold? Didn't Furutech first tried Gold , then end up with Rhodium ?
I don't know, but I see that Furutech recently added a gold plated connector version of their highly regarded Flux 50 NCF filter, and that the WBF poster who compared the rhodium and gold versions preferred the latter. Furutech must have gotten some feedback to make them release the gold plated version several years later.

TLi

May 27, 2016
I don't know, but I see that Furutech recently added a gold plated connector version of their highly regarded Flux 50 NCF filter, and that the WBF poster who compared the rhodium and gold versions preferred the latter. Furutech must have gotten some feedback to make them release the gold plated version several years later.
Gold has a warmer sound, no doubt about it. The problem with gold on the connector is the durability. After a few insertions, the gold plating will wear away. The only way to enhance the durability is to make sure the connectors on both sides are gold plated, but it will still wear away after a couple more times.

Rhodium has a brighter sound which in most systems will give an impression of higher resolution. It does not wear away that easily, so you can use it many times and still retain the effect.

There is no best material in this aspect, just choose the one that suits you most.

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
Yes, I did hear that Furutech is using Gold again. We did the Pepsi challenge years back on the FI-09 IEC A/C inlet plug, Gold VS Rhodium . Some preferred the Gold, others liked the Rhodium. As of right now , The group that liked the Gold now , are really sold on the sound of the FI- 09 Rhodium with NCF.

koalakoala

Aug 10, 2017
Rhodium price rocketed to us$27000 per ounce 6 months ago. Even now it is like $12000 which is 7 times higher than gold. Rhodium plating will be really rare now.

Voltrix

Apr 5, 2020
Anyone considering a purchase of Odin 2 / Odin 2 Gold should definitely try the Ansuz Supreme cable range. The Odin 2 cables was originally co-designed by Lars Kristensen who later teamed up with Michael Borresen to start Ansuz. While the Odin 2 has a reasonably low inductance, it has a very low mechanical stability which is the main drawback of the Nordost design. The Ansuz cable has extremely low inductance while delivering a much greater mechanical stability and better shielding which results in a more natural and considerably more dynamic presentation with blacker backgrounds and more precisely layered soundstage. I made the comparison in my system and the differences were easily audible. Coming back to the Odin 2 loom was rather challenging after trying the Ansuz cables. This is just my opinion based on personal experience so please treat as such!

Reactions: Hansen

Nascimento

Aug 12, 2016
Brasil
While the Odin 2 has a reasonably low inductance, it has a very low mechanical stability which is the main drawback of the Nordost design.
Could you please describe to me what you consider to be a very low mechanical stability in the Odin power cable?

Voltrix

Apr 5, 2020
Could you please describe to me what you consider to be a very low mechanical stability in the Odin power cable?
Mechanical stability is linked to how susceptible the cable is to the influence of microphonic distortion. For more detail, please reach out to Lars Kristensen. He is the co-designer of Nordost Odin and will be more than happy to elaborate fully on any questions you may have. As far as I am concerned, give the Ansuz DTC Supreme cables a try. You will not be looking back... it is that simple :). The proof is in the listening as they say.

Voltrix

Apr 5, 2020
Coincidentally, there was a High-end Munich report by Absolute Sound that mentions a shootout between entry-level Ansuz cables ( A2 and C2) and Odin 2 loom, which apparently Ansuz won quite easily: " As a sideshow, Raidho’s Michael Borresen and Lars Kristensen did a shootout between their affordable Ansuz A2 and C2 cables and a $20k+ loom of Nordost Odin 2, which the Ansuz won quite handily." You can find the link here: https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/munich-high-end-2017-loudspeakers

FYI, the Ansuz DTC Supreme is in a completely different league than the A2 or the C2. Not much else to add really.

Reactions: Nascimento

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing