Power cable newbie

Cheech86

Jul 26, 2022
Morning fellas first post and first time trying power cables. Still have that skepticism but want to try and experience it for my self and have my own conclusions. So with your guys help and knowledge help me out. Going to be putting my own cables together power cable using will be

FP-S032N Nano AuAg​

Connectors I’m looking at will be

FI-50M NCF(R) Or FI-46M NCF (G)​

Can you let me know if these might be a good combo or have better idea or info to help me along with my choice.

I’m new to all this my first high end system at least to me
Revel f228be
Aurender 100h
Ps audio BHK 250 upgraded tubes
Ps Audio DSD Dac.
morgami XLR
Wireworld usb cable.

thanks guys.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017

FP-S032N Nano AuAg​

Connectors I’m looking at will be

FI-50M NCF(R)​

This is the combo I would go with. I'm a fan of the FI-50M NCF(R) connectors.

Given that you are building your own cables I would purchase both and give them a listen.

Reactions: Cheech86

Cheech86

Jul 26, 2022
This is the combo I would go with. I'm a fan of the FI-50M NCF(R) connectors.

Given that you are building your own cables I would purchase both and give them a listen.
Just want to warm my system up. I feel the revels sometimes on the top end can be a little shrill. Want a little more give. Rhodium might Exaggerate that more? Correct me if I’m wrong. Gold NCF might do the trick?

John T

Feb 15, 2022
I had a pair of Brand New AudioQuest Dragon 1m HC, didn't like them on the Gryphon Mephisto. Sold one to a buddy with a Vitus. One left, PM me if anyone is interested.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Just want to warm my system up. I feel the revels sometimes on the top end can be a little shrill. Want a little more give. Rhodium might Exaggerate that more? Correct me if I’m wrong. Gold NCF might do the trick?
I would avoid Rhodium plating altogether (I have banished it from my system) which to my ears is "cool" and analytical. If you are making your own power cables go with the gold plated ETI Legato AC connectors which are better constructed than all Furutech, more neutral than the FI-46M NCF (G), but not analytical like the FI-50M NCF (R). NCF makes a difference but you can get it in other ways without Rhodium (e.g., the NCF Clear Lines).

FYI: https://eti-research.com/legato-ac-connectors/

Last edited:

Cheech86

Jul 26, 2022
I would avoid Rhodium plating altogether which to my ears is "cool" and analytical. If you are making your own power cables go with the gold plated ETI Legato AC connectors which are better constructed than all Furutech, more neutral than the FI-46M NCF (G), but not analytical like the FI-50M NCF (R). NCF makes a difference but you can get it in other ways without Rhodium (e.g., the NCF Clear Lines).

Thank you will check them out.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I would avoid Rhodium plating altogether which to my ears is "cool" and analytical. If you are making your own power cables go with the gold plated ETI Legato AC connectors which are better constructed than all Furutech, more neutral than the FI-46M NCF (G), but not analytical like the FI-50M NCF (R). NCF makes a difference but you can get it in other ways without Rhodium (e.g., the NCF Clear Lines).

I strongly disagree. Rhodium works extremely well in my system. All my ZenWave power cables have rhodium connectors (often FI-50 NCF (R)). It will depend on the system context how it sounds. For example, introduction of a 609 Furutech 6-way distributor into my system gave lots of rhodium on rhodium contact with the plugged in power cables (same-metal contact is good), and the sound became less aggressive, less shouty, more resolved, more calm. This on top of just the power cables which, compared with stock cords, had given the same effect; it was just made even stronger with the distributor.

I like the natural resolution of rhodium in my system. I don't like to "warm up" sound with cables or connectors, you may easily lose resolution. For modification of tonal balance I prefer to use active devices, such as tube amplification. I have recently replaced the KT150 tubes in my power amp with KT120 tubes, for a fuller, thicker sound, with no loss of resolution of fine timbral detail and of separation of instruments.

Reactions: John T

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
I strongly disagree. Rhodium works extremely well in my system. All my ZenWave power cables have rhodium connectors (often FI-50 NCF (R)). It will depend on the system context how it sounds. For example, introduction of a 609 Furutech 6-way distributor into my system gave lots of rhodium on rhodium contact with the plugged in power cables (same-metal contact is good), and the sound became less aggressive, less shouty, more resolved, more calm. This on top of just the power cables which, compared with stock cords, had given the same effect; it was just made even stronger with the distributor.

I like the natural resolution of rhodium in my system. I don't like to "warm up" sound with cables or connectors, you may easily lose resolution. For modification of tonal balance I prefer to use active devices, such as tube amplification. I have recently replaced the KT150 tubes in my power amp with KT120 tubes, for a fuller, thicker sound, with no loss of resolution of fine timbral detail and of separation of instruments.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
When I ordered my power conditioner I had it outfitted with four Furutech GTX-D Rhodium and four Furutech GTX-D gold outlets so I could do a head to head comparison. All of my components are tubed including my sacd player. Found the Rhodium outlets to have a cool, clinical sonic signature like many other cables I've heard with Rhodium plated connectors. The gold outlets were much more natural sounding and musical, and I didn't lose a spec of Resolution.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
I use all Furutech rhodium NCF, both connectors and receptacles. The Mephisto is as neutral and transparent an amp around. I'm not looking to counteract. The DPS 4.1 with said connectors on the Mephisto work fine together, as well as with the Pandora. I've heard from others who are adamant about not liking rhodium. Lots of variables that can determine final results. I expect everything to Gel well when the Horizon arrives too.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Thank you will check them out.
I also like the Oyaide Armored (platinum and palladium over copper) AP-004 and AC-004 which I put on my Echole Omnia PC. Forum member CKKeung pointed out on this forum that Hong Kong audiophiles who use Furutech NCF Rhodium AC connectors sometimes add these Oyaide plugs to their systems to offset the cool sonic signature of the Rhodium Furutech plugs. Note that this Oyaide model was never distributed in the USA.

FYI: https://singaporehifi.blogspot.com/2017/12/oyaide-armored-series-iec-ac-plugs.html

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC

Of course your Zenwave cables have Furutech connectors - Zenwave is a Furutech dealer. When you start to look at the world's top tier cables - e.g., the seven brands that Audio Exotics sells, the connector/plating picture is a lot more diverse. FYI: https://www.audioexotics.com/brands/

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
When I ordered my power conditioner I had it outfitted with four Furutech GTX-D Rhodium and four Furutech GTX-D gold outlets so I could do a head to head comparison. All of my components are tubed including my sacd player. Found the Rhodium outlets to have a cool, clinical sonic signature like many other cables I've heard with Rhodium plated connectors. The gold outlets were much more natural sounding and musical, and I didn't lose a spec of Resolution.

Obviously, this debate will not be resolved on the internet. I would suggest to the original poster, Cheech86, or to any other interested reader to audition some power cables from ZenWave, owned by DaveC, a poster on WBF:

Just send Dave a PM, he will probably be happy to send out demo samples, as he did upon my request. Possibly he even has the same cable with rhodium- and gold-plated connectors for comparison.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Obviously, this debate will not be resolved on the internet. I would suggest to the original poster, Cheech86, or to any other interested reader to audition some power cables from ZenWave, owned by DaveC, a poster on WBF:

Just send Dave a PM, he will probably be happy to send out demo samples, as he did upon my request. Possibly he even has the same cable with rhodium- and gold-plated connectors for comparison.
The relevant comparison is between the two top of the line connectors - Furutech FI-50M NCF (R) and the ETI Legato, and possibly also the Oyaide Armored AP004/AC004. The FI-46M NCF (G) is a lesser connector which (unlike the ETI Legato gold) is known to be warm. Obviously you are a fan of Zenwave cables but recall that this poster started out saying he intended to construct his own PC's. If he is interested in buying completed power cords I have several recommendtions for him.

Last edited:

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
I would avoid Rhodium plating altogether (I have banished it from my system) which to my ears is "cool" and analytical. If you are making your own power cables go with the gold plated ETI Legato AC connectors which are better constructed than all Furutech, more neutral than the FI-46M NCF (G), but not analytical like the FI-50M NCF (R). NCF makes a difference but you can get it in other ways without Rhodium (e.g., the NCF Clear Lines).

Note that I am not alone on this forum in disliking the sound of Rhodium:

FYI: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/going-rhodium-free.27555/#post-561028

Note also that my years of listening experience do not support Dave C's comments on the subject.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012

I recently replaced several Fi-50 NCF (R) connectors with ETI Legato Gold, and my findings are exactly the same as @Cellcbern. The FI-50 connectors are indeed cool and analytical. The Legato Gold connectors are, to my ears and in my system, more natural and more neutral. They are the first gold-plated connectors I have used that do not sound too warm and too soft in the highs. An unexpected bonus is the Legato Golds are actually more detailed in the midrange and more dynamic overall. The connectors in question are all on Audio Note ISIS mains cable.

I do have a question for @Cellcbern. Have you tried the Legato Rhodium connectors? My experience with Rhodium is limited to Furutech.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
I recently replaced several Fi-50 NCF (R) connectors with ETI Legato Gold, and my findings are exactly the same as @Cellcbern. The FI-50 connectors are indeed cool and analytical. The Legato Gold connectors are, to my ears and in my system, more natural and more neutral. They are the first gold-plated connectors I have used that do not sound too warm and too soft in the highs. An unexpected bonus is the Legato Golds are actually more detailed in the midrange and more dynamic overall. The connectors in question are all on Audio Note ISIS mains cable.

I do have a question for @Cellcbern. Have you tried the Legato Rhodium connectors? My experience with Rhodium is limited to Furutech.
I seriously believe power cables are beyond a doubt system dependent. I have all FI-50 (R) connecters into NCF rhodium receptacles. I also realize many do not like rhodium. I find that curious? I did go with Furutech Gold Plated for my Extreme into Furutech Gold plated receptacle. I use all individual circuits with the exception of my Pandora Line Stage. Both the Mephisto/Pandora require dual power cables. I mentioned this before I demoed AQ Dragon HC for the Mephisto and did not like them. Let your ears decide.

Last edited:

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
I agree that power cables seem to be more system dependent than most other cables, and I would add more room or house dependent as well. I moved several months ago to a new house in a different part of the state and I have been trying ever since then to get my system sounding as good as it did in the previous home. Experimenting with different cables and connectors has been part of that process.

Prior to the move, I used FI-50 connectors on nearly all of my power cords and I was, by and large, happy with the sound. I had selected the FI-50s after a number of years of trying different connectors on various power cords. I certainly could hear colorations in the FI-50s but their positive qualities outweighed any concerns. In my new room, the colorations are more annoying. Hence the Legato trial.

Reactions: John T

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing