Posting a Video Recording of Your System Playing

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
@Rensselaer @PeterA

The system in the videos was playing digital. :)
So, Peter A says the Samsung sounds more digital, the iPhone more analogue. You say the system was digital, so does that mean that the Samsung was better in portraying the resolution as it was, does it sound closest to what you heard when present during the recording; or does the iPhone better match what was heard by you when you were recording, and his use of "digital" sound actually his label for what are abhorrent distortions from the Samsung?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
When compared (using Dragonfly Cobalt USB DAC and Audeze in-ear planar magnetic earphones for review) the Samsung sounds to me more real, better presence and even better PRAT (though how that can be confuses). So, in light of your point Tango, which phone records/plays more closely to what what the recorder heard when recording? Which phone gives a truer rendition?
Samsung. iPhone smoothen sound when record. This is also why some people when listened PeterA's system videos think they sounds round off. While Peter insist his system in real does not lack highs. Peter was using iPhone.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
So, Peter A says the Samsung sounds more digital, the iPhone more analogue. You say the system was digital, so does that mean that the Samsung was better in portraying the resolution as it was, does it sound closest to what you heard when present during the recording; or does the iPhone better match what was heard by you when you were recording, and his use of "digital" sound actually his label for what are abhorrent distortions from the Samsung?
That video sounded more digital not because it was recorded by Samsung. It should sound digital because the system was playing digital. Samsung showed it. Asked the owner of that system and two other persons in the room, they all agreed Samsung recorded sound closer to real than iPhone.

I am in a chat group that a/b gears everyday and exchange videos to group members to hear difference, people who use iPhone have also Samsung just to record and stick to the same format.

Reactions: Rensselaer

dsnyder0cnn

Mar 6, 2017
San Jose, CA
blog.dsnyder.ws-e.com
I've read most of this thread, and I'm surprised that no one mentioned using binaural mics. When you use them, you just have to ask listeners/watchers to put on a decent pair of headphones to get a good 15% or so sense of what it's like to be in the room.

While a Neumann KU 100 dummy head mic is probably the best way to go, I've had acceptable results with these Sound Professionals binaural mics. They are over $8k less expensive, but for that cost savings, YOU must provide the "dummy head". LOL. The hardest part is sitting still and being quiet during the recording.

This mic is a condenser, so it requires power from the recorder. You can't just plug it into a smartphone. I use the Zoom H4n Pro, which can provide the necessary power and does a reasonable job of recording the audio. When I'm sharing the recordings as videos, I usually just take a still photo so that I don't have to worry about holding the camera still while I'm also trying to sit still.

Here's an example, shot from an earlier incarnation of my room. I should make an updated one since just about everything has changed. Feel free to judge me as much as you want. LOL.

Reactions: Happily Trying

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing