Pls kindly recommend which combo could be better?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
SO in your ways of doing things what should he do? Listen to every single combination possible? Ok!

or your advice is no advice .. As simple .. as possible :)

I would start listening just to the amplification in my current system with the source that is going to be used. But we must consider we do not have any details about the OP, his preferences or motivations - we are just debating our old divergences, adding some recent findings!

Andrew Stenhouse

Feb 14, 2016
Sydney, Australia
OP - go and listen and make up your own mind.

Everyone else - stop feud'n.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
David says the Speaker is the most important, so I am very hesitant.

wilson audio alexia + Gryphon Diablo 300 or sasha2+Boulder 1010 1060

I wonder which combo should be my first choice if they have the same budget.Thank you.

Boodokhan,

Both can be great systems. And "all" good advice above. I think the amplifier choice, while both are top notch, will yield a different sound. Also your room size and sources/cables maybe should be factored in. You might be better off with Sasha 2's, Gyphon Diablo + better(or keep your existing if good) cables/sources. The Sasha's are killer good....sure you can always get better. Just depends are you on the upgrade path down the road or you want it best now and that's it.

What's your room like? This can have a impact as well...wish it was a easy answer !

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Andrew Stenhouse

Feb 14, 2016
Sydney, Australia
Why? This is not "La Classe de danse" ... ;) It is an audio forum!

Because it is off topic, vulgar, gauche, tedious and childish.

Now back to topic, I wonder if the OP has anything to contribute at this point by way of update.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
OP - go and listen and make up your own mind.

Everyone else - stop feud'n.

Because it is off topic, vulgar, gauche, tedious and childish.

Now back to topic, I wonder if the OP has anything to contribute at this point by way of update.

I can not find any of these characteristic in any of the posts in this thread. As you, I asked for more details and IMHO the debate was intrinsically related to the OP. WBF become a great forum in the past just because it was a place where we could debate these divergent subjects openly, most of the time slightly off topic, but triggered by a related subject.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I can not find any of these characteristic in any of the posts in this thread. As you, I asked for more details and IMHO the debate was intrinsically related to the OP. WBF become a great forum in the past just because it was a place where we could debate these divergent subjects openly, most of the time slightly off topic, but triggered by a related subject.

I agree. I could not see any pattern of the adjectives used either.

Andrew Stenhouse

Feb 14, 2016
Sydney, Australia

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
That is a worry.

Why? I cannot find any of these characteristics either.

As for the OP, he should not be surprised if he gets a complicated answer to his question. High-End is indeed complicated.

Down Under

Jun 26, 2014
David says the Speaker is the most important, so I am very hesitant.

wilson audio alexia + Gryphon Diablo 300 or sasha2+Boulder 1010 1060

I wonder which combo should be my first choice if they have the same budget.Thank you.

Direct answer to direct question-if the room is right I would choose the Alexia and Diablo 300.
Permutation for my money-Sasha 2 with Diablo 300.
If you can hear it- Gryphon Pantheon with Diablo 300.

boodokhan

Dec 7, 2015
Boodokhan,

Both can be great systems. And "all" good advice above. I think the amplifier choice, while both are top notch, will yield a different sound. Also your room size and sources/cables maybe should be factored in. You might be better off with Sasha 2's, Gyphon Diablo + better(or keep your existing if good) cables/sources. The Sasha's are killer good....sure you can always get better. Just depends are you on the upgrade path down the road or you want it best now and that's it.

What's your room like? This can have a impact as well...wish it was a easy answer !

Thank you all of your suggestion. My CD is ARC CD9, and my room is about 25?. While I'd rather tend to alexia and Gyphon Diablo300, I don't know whether my thinking is right or not?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thank you all of your suggestion. My CD is ARC CD9, and my room is about 25?. While I'd rather tend to alexia and Gyphon Diablo300, I don't know whether my thinking is right or not?

The matching between the Audio Research CD9 and the amplification will be a factor to be considered. I have owned the CD9 just before moving to the Metronome's and it is an excellent CD but it is a tubed unit with capacitor coupling. It sounds much better than can be expected for the price when partnered with an ARC preamplifier, and prefers an high input impedance in the preamplifier - the Boulder (100 kohm balanced ) seems perfect. The CD9 has better bass definition than older ARC tube CD players and will perfectly control the bass of both speakers.

I recently listened to an all ARC system with the CD9 incorporating the new Sabrina and was really impressed. It does not have the scale of the Alexia's or Sasha's, but the system was really bewitching. Voices sounded natural and the acoustic spaces was displayed with a sense of freedom we seldom experience in reproduced music. I would have not believed that the CD player was a CD9 if I had not seen it!

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
So there have been quite a few votes for the Diablo300 Alexia pairing. Glad to hear that but I still think the diablo 300 has been shortchanged here. The old diablo happily ate high end pre/power combos for breakfast. It does not take great insight to see the 300 is not going to be a step down from that....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing