Please explain why I would choose one over the other?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I've heard of single-ended and push-pull, but haven't a clue as to what the differences are and why one would need one over the other.

Can someone explain the differences between these two ...preferably in a not too technical manner.

Thanks.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
John-You don’t “need” one over the other, it’s a choice based on preference. The vast majority of single-ended amplifiers on the market are vacuum tube amplifiers. Nelson Pass has made a few SS single-ended amps and they are fairly low-power.

As Tom tried to explain in a non-confusing but yet still confusing way, a single-ended amplifier typically only uses one device to amplify both halves of the music signal. A push-pull amp has a minimum of one device for each half of the waveform. Think about the Dynaco ST-70 for example. It is a push-pull amplifier and it uses two EL-34 tubes for each channel. If the ST-70 was a single-ended amplifier, it would only have one EL-34 per channel.

A big benefit claimed for single-ended amplifiers is that you don’t have any cross-over distortion and you have probably heard that term before. Since you only have one device amplifying both halves of the music signal, it doesn’t have to “hand-off” the signal to another device. The drawback to single-ended is much higher second harmonic distortion which some people actually love until the sound gets so wooly they think they are wearing a blanket. Push-pull tube amps combine the signal in the output transformer and it cancels out even order harmonics.

Single-ended amps usually tend to be very low power. The main exception to that is parallel single-ended amps which I won’t talk about in order to keep this as non-technical as I can per your request.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Hmmm... Had a longer post but lost it, and decided it wasn't worth it.

Single-ended can be class A, B, C, whatever. A differential design ideally cancels even-order harmonics, leaving odds dominate. This provides lower distortion, but odd harmonics generally sound "raspier" to us so in fact a SE design with distortion dominated by the second-order term may sound better even though it actually has higher distortion. SE designs are most often biased class A (I am not sure I have seen an audio design that was not), meaning "full" current flows through the device always.

Push-pull I have seen used two ways. In the first, and the way I use it, it describes an output stage that typically uses complementary (or two out of phase) devices so one sources current (pushes) and one sinks it (pulls). Again, these can be biased in class A, AB, B, C, whatever. Because currrent flow switches from one device to the other, there can be distortion as the signal crosses over from say the source (+) to sink (-) device. For this reason you rarely find class B audio amps (and never class C IME); they are usually AB so a small amount of current always flows through both devices to reduce crossover distortion.

The other way I have seen push-pull used is to describe a differential circuit, but that was not how I was taught/weaned.

I don't think any of this disagrees with previous descriptions but I did not read closely; different ways to describe the same thing.

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
A big benefit claimed for single-ended amplifiers is that you don’t have any cross-over distortion and you have probably heard that term before. Since you only have one device amplifying both halves of the music signal, it doesn’t have to “hand-off” the signal to another device. The drawback to single-ended is much higher second harmonic distortion which some people actually love until the sound gets so wooly they think they are wearing a blanket. Push-pull tube amps combine the signal in the output transformer and it cancels out even order harmonics.

All SET isn't "wooly"---for example, never heard Lamm sound that way. I like push-pull as well---though some are sounding more ss by the day. For instance, the new Vac gear sounded just like my big Mac SS monos.

It really is dependent on your speaker sensitivity as to which way you go. And there are good and bad examples of all topologies.

adanny

Mar 13, 2012
If you go to the Pass Labs website, you will see several great technical papers by Nelson pass on these topics. https://passlabs.com/technical-articles
No one article describes it all, and they are written so that understanding all of it without 1st year college physics is hard, but give it a shot

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing