Pink Floyd: We have some news!

I didn't know there was a 25th. I have the 20th Anniversary Edition in XRCD and it is terrific

I have the version that Doug Sax remastered. There were pictures of him holding the master tape as he was getting ready to spool the tape up. I thought it was the 25th version.

Seems DSOTM has been released quite a few times.

DSOTM

You can click on each release and then click on 'Credits'.

Looks like on the 20th Anniversary Ed. , James Guthrie has "Remastering Supervisor" credits.

Soooo, do we have reason to believe Messrs. Guthrie and Jackson will do the best possible mastering job?QUOTE]

Someone I consider a friend may have teched some of these sessions if they were worked on in Lake Tahoe...perhaps, he can offer us some insights :cool:

Seems DSOTM has been released quite a few times.

DSOTM

You can click on each release and then click on 'Credits'.

Looks like on the 20th Anniversary Ed. , James Guthrie has "Remastering Supervisor" credits.

I preferred the 20th Anniversary edition in XRCD to the SACD version released several years later

From Wikipedia:

Reissues and remastering

The Mobile
Fidelity
CD Ultradisc release of the album

In 1979, The Dark Side of the Moon was released as a remastered LP
by Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab,[90] and
in April 1988 on their "Ultradisc" gold CD format.[91] The
album was released by EMI on the then-new compact disc format in 1984,
and eight years later it was re-released as a remastered CD in the box set Shine On.[92] This
version was re-released as a 20th-anniversary box set edition with postcards the
following year. Cover design was by Storm Thorgerson, designer of the original
1973 cover.[93] Some
have suggested that on later CD pressings a faintly audible orchestral version
of The Beatles's "Ticket to Ride" can be heard
after "Eclipse", over the album's closing heartbeats. This may have been the
consequence of a remastering error,[48] and
is not audible on the original vinyl.

The original quadraphonic mix,[nb 10]
though commissioned by EMI, was never endorsed by the band,[30] but
to celebrate the album's 30th anniversary an updated surround version was
released in 2003. Some surprise was expressed when the band elected not to use
Parsons' quadraphonic mix (done shortly after the original release), and instead
chose to have their current engineer James Guthrie create a new 5.1 channel surround sound mix on the SACD format.[30][94]
Guthrie has worked with the band since co-producing and engineering their 1979
release, The Wall, and had
previously worked on surround versions of The Wall for DVD-video, and
Waters's In the Flesh for SACD. Speaking in 2003, Alan Parsons expressed
some disappointment with Guthrie's SACD mix, suggesting that Guthrie was
"possibly a little too true to the original mix", but was generally
complimentary to the release.[30]

Referring to "On the Run", Parsons said: "After hearing his mix for a while,
I think I'm hearing stereo with a bit of surround." He praised the mix for other
songs, particularly "The Great Gig in the Sky": "I tip my hat to James for
sorting out the correct bits of Clare's vocals. And he has improved on the
stereo mix, which is a bit wishy-washy. The stereo is heavy on the Hammond
organ, and Clare's a little too far down. In my quad mix, the Hammond is barely
there, which shows you I really wasn't being faithful to the stereo mix. The
quad sounds pretty good, but James still has the edge. His mix is definitely
cleaner, and he's brought Clare out a bit more."[95] This
30th-anniversary edition won four Surround Music Awards in 2003,[96] and
has since sold more than 800,000 copies.[97] The
cover image was created by a team of designers that again included Storm
Thorgerson. The image is a photograph of a custom-made stained glass window, built to
match the exact dimensions and proportions of the original prism design.
Transparent glass, held in place by strips of lead, was used in place of the
opaque colours of the original. The idea is derived from the "sense of purity in
the sound quality, being 5.1 surround sound ..." The image was created out of a
desire to be "the same but different, such that the design was clearly DSoM,
still the recognisable prism design, but was different and hence new".[93]

The Dark Side of the Moon was also re-released in 2003 on 180-gram
virgin vinyl (mastered by Kevin Gray at AcousTech Mastering) and included
slightly different versions of the original posters and stickers that came with
the original vinyl release, along with a new 30th anniversary poster
.[98] In
2007 the album was included in Oh, by the Way, a box set
celebrating the 40th anniversary of Pink Floyd,[99] and
a DRM-free version was released on the iTunes Store.[97]

I have the original DSOTM pressing/release of the 5.1 SACD Hybrid disc; it is dated 2003 so I guess it is the 30th Anniversary

Rich

That's the one I have, and it is the 30th Anniversay remaster mixed and mastered by Doug Sax and James Guthrie

Wow, the first thread I read and it's news about the Floyd! It will be great to have more of their catalog updated sonically and the thought of more surround mixes makes me giddy. I have both of the DSOTM formats, but haven't ever compared and critiqued them a la Parsons has done in an interview.

Has anybody done song-by-song comparisons?

Jeff

I had no idea that Waters and Gilmour had reconciled and were performing together, but someone I sent the PF Why? link to found videos on Yourtube of a 12, May O2 Arena concert. The song was The Wall ... I haven't checked to see if Gilmour was on that song only ....

OK, I have checked... it was a Waters' concert performance of The Wall and Gilmour "sat in" on "Comfortably Numb." Yeee-HAH!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...r-reunite-14-000-delirious-fans-O2-Arena.html

Jeff

It has also been reported that Nick Mason joined in on the last song of the concert.

I read that as well. Too back Rick Wright was not around for the "reunion." :(

Indeed. I'm glad I have the David Gilmour: Live in Gdansk LP Boxset, which was his last live performance.

Any idea how the Gdansk concert compares to "Remember That Night" at the Royal Albert Hall? The songs with Crosby/Nash on are great and I'm surprised I haven't blown speakers ...

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I can't really say as the Royal Albert Hall concert was not released on vinyl. I do have the Blu-ray of said concert and it's outstanding. The PQ leaves a bit to be desired, but that doesn't bother me as I buy Blu-ray concerts for the Audio first and foremost.

I like both to be honest and am hesitant to pick one over the other. It's a shame that Crosby & Nash, David Bowie and Robert Wyatt didn't travel to Poland for this remarkable show, because it is outstanding. The inclusion of the Baltic Symphony Orchestra however was a nice change however, and gave the concert a different feel. A very enjoyable one I might add.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, David's version on the Gdansk LP of ECHOES is the best version ever done. It runs 25:25 and is mesmerising!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing