Photos of the SW1X DAC V

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
Is this DAC intended to be operated without cover?

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Beautiful, Joe!

Joe Cohen

Industry Expert
Jun 10, 2012
You can see that the main board is Bakelite with point to point wiring. What you cannot see is that it is treated with a custom lacquer designed by Slawa Roschkow.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
You can see that the main board is Bakelite with point to point wiring. What you cannot see is that it is treated with a custom lacquer designed by Slawa Roschkow.

Hi Joe,

What is the purpose of the custom lacquer?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I wonder as well...dampen mechanical mini-vibrations? shielding emi?

Exactly. Both of those you highlighted can be achieved well with a custom lacquer.

I would have been inclined to have made that top PCB quite a lot thicker myself as it will incur the vertical forces of people pushing valves in and out. Audio Note have moved to using a sheet of Panzerholz on their top models - this would be quite a good choice here too.

Joe Cohen

Industry Expert
Jun 10, 2012
If you enlarge the second photo you can see that the board looks to be about 1/2” thick, which is quite substantial. The way the edge is in shadow makes it appear thinner than it actually is..

The lacquer will treat for vibrations.
Exactly. Both of those you highlighted can be achieved well with a custom lacquer.

I would have been inclined to have made that top PCB quite a lot thicker myself as it will incur the vertical forces of people pushing valves in and out. Audio Note have moved to using a sheet of Panzerholz on their top models - this would be quite a good choice here too.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
If you enlarge the second photo you can see that the board looks to be about 1/2” thick, which is quite substantial. The way the edge is in shadow makes it appear thinner than it actually is..

The lacquer will treat for vibrations.

Ah yes it looks super thin at the other angle.

analogsa

Apr 15, 2017
Cascais
This is a dac? Yet the digital parts appear very camera shy. Not as photogenic as the tubes and transformers?

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
Joe, may I ask which version of the DAC V is being used in the videos on your website - Special or Limited Series? Also, which if any of the available options are incorporated in that particular DAC?

Joe Cohen

Industry Expert
Jun 10, 2012
Here's another view of a different DAC V. The digital portion is on the lower board. I haven't found photos of it alone. DAC V.jpg

Joe Cohen

Industry Expert
Jun 10, 2012
Joe, may I ask which version of the DAC V is being used in the videos on your website - Special or Limited Series? Also, which if any of the available options are incorporated in that particular DAC?
That DAC V is the equivalent of what is now a DAC V Special with Pure Silver wound signal output transformers.

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee

gerihifi

Sep 5, 2022
Germany, Hamburg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing