Phono Preamp to match with Spectral Gear

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Just a quick update on the XP-25... with the Reference Recordings LPs, I find the resolution as high and timbre as pure as I heard it from the Q7/DMA-400 driven by the 4000SL and the same HDCD material - at least in the operating range of the panels.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Just a quick update on the XP-25... with the Reference Recordings LPs, I find the resolution as high and timbre as pure as I heard it from the Q7/DMA-400 driven by the 4000SL and the same HDCD material - at least in the operating range of the panels.

Wow, Ack, a cone speaker sounding as high in resolution as your panels? That's quite something. So you are comparing your analog with the VPI and Pass XP-25 to Goodwin's super system with the Spectral digital player and HDCD disks. Thanks for the update on the XP-25. Do you feel it is now fully broken in? Are you pleased overall, enough to keep it, and have you identified any weaknesses?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Wow, Ack, a cone speaker sounding as high in resolution as your panels? That's quite something. So you are comparing your analog with the VPI and Pass XP-25 to Goodwin's super system with the Spectral digital player and HDCD disks. Thanks for the update on the XP-25. Do you feel it is now fully broken in? Are you pleased overall, enough to keep it, and have you identified any weaknesses?

Caution, I discussed *only* these two attributes, don't go wild; but yes, in the past I've called the Q7 an electrostatic that can do it just about all. I don't think the XP-25 is fully broken in yet, but so far so good. But it is so good that you shouldn't expect a heavy discount from me on it :D Especially when I am getting 85% of the Ayre's purchase price as a trade allowance, after 4 years of use, mind you... so you know where this is going :cool:

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Peter, I just put on the Sheffield Drum Record - I can unequivocally tell you your system is far superior with drums (not necessarily cymbals or the gong), so I would suggest you listen before you "upgrade". This is a classic case where stats fall far short in terms of dynamic contrasts especially against the very fast Magico woofer/mid, and is the reason I was hoping the Q3s would have worked in my room. I tried a number of things, including removing all isolation material I have on the table. You will hear for yourself when we meet in the fall.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Peter, I just put on the Sheffield Drum Record - I can unequivocally tell you your system is far superior with drums (not necessarily cymbals or the gong), so I would suggest you listen before you "upgrade". This is a classic case where stats fall far short in terms of dynamic contrasts especially against the very fast Magico woofer/mid, and is the reason I was hoping the Q3s would have worked in my room. I tried a number of things, including removing all isolation material I have on the table. You will hear for yourself when we meet in the fall.

Hi Ack,
So you found your Drum Record. It is really quite something and I view this LP as one of the "acid tests" when I audition new stuff. I don't want to hijack this thread, so I am going to start another on the subject of isolating those speaker cable network boxes. I've been experimenting and I listened to the Sheffield Drum Record today, in fact, at high volumes to make some more conclusions. Isolation makes a difference on the networks.

I'm glad you like the XP-25 and look forward to reading more of your impressions as it continues to break in.

Boy, Mark is giving you a great trade in allowance on that Ayre piece.

Last edited:

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
I'm glad you like the XP-25 and look forward to reading more of your impressions as it continues to break in.

Yes I look forward to reading more of Ack's impressions too. It sounds like he's really enjoying himself.

Wonderful systems you guys have.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I have just started another thread in the Speaker forum entitled "Vibrations and cable network boxes". I don't know how to create a link, but if anyone is interested in reading my findings and continuing the discussion that was started in this thread above, please go to that new thread.

Sorry Ack to have distracted from your original topic.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
So the XP-25 is a keeper. I started playing with the loading, and this was an eye opener and what really tipped the scale... at 30ohms, there is a trough in the entire midrange with the A90 (4ohms internal impedance); at 50ohms (where I had it all the time), things were fine; at 100ohms things really came alive, and the Drum Record takes on a new life, vibrancy, attack, presence, and the bass is actually faster and tighter; at 160ohms things seem to be just right with every recording I have tried; at 250ohms the sound is too bright. I think I am going to settle on either 100 or 160 depending on the recording - would be interested to hear what Christian set his to. I have come to really appreciate the ability to easily change loading. Next up will be capacitance - though most claim it has no effect on MC cartridges, I fail to see how this could be: capacitance applied to the input is like affecting the inherent capacitance of the phono cable and the cartridge's own coils' capacitance, so it has to have some effect, even if minor.

I think the XP-25 makes a clear and convincing case, and its performance is really a tribute to all those heritage tube recordings. I would agree it's a bargain.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
So the XP-25 is a keeper. I started playing with the loading, and this was an eye opener and what really tipped the scale... at 30ohms, there is a trough in the entire midrange with the A90 (4ohms internal impedance); at 50ohms (where I had it all the time), things were fine; at 100ohms things really came alive, and the Drum Record takes on a new life, vibrancy, attack, presence, and the bass is actually faster and tighter; at 160ohms things seem to be just right with every recording I have tried; at 250ohms the sound is too bright. I think I am going to settle on either 100 or 160 depending on the recording - would be interested to hear what Christian set his to. I have come to really appreciate the ability to easily change loading. Next up will be capacitance - though most claim it has no effect on MC cartridges, I fail to see how this could be: capacitance applied to the input is like affecting the inherent capacitance of the phono cable and the cartridge's own coils' capacitance, so it has to have some effect, even if minor.

I think the XP-25 makes a clear and convincing case, and its performance is really a tribute to all those heritage tube recordings. I would agree it's a bargain.

Congratulations, Ack. I have also come to appreciate hearing the effect of different loading on my Pass Xono, though it is very tedious to remove the cover each time to adjust the dip switches. The front panel dials are a great feature for convenience. The Xono has something like 200 different loading options, though I find a setting around 84 to be right for my AirTight Supreme.

I believe the XP-25 manual states that the capacitance settings do make a difference for MC cartridges. I also suggest you experiment with the gain settings. This really made a difference with my Xono. The TAS XP-25 review talks a bit about the effect of higher versus lower gain from the phone section.

Could you also discuss a bit about noise, distortion and transparency compared to other phono stages you have had, now that the unit is more broken in?

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
It's a very good phono amp. I've been very happy with mine for the past 14 months or so. I did play with the capacitance setting a bit but didn't really notice much of a difference with my Goldfinger Statement. Now, put some Stillpoints under both pieces and tell me what you hear. Or, substitute a different power cord. I use a Shunyata Anaconda Zitron. Excellent results.

I think the XP25 and XP30 preamp from Pass don't get the respect they deserve when the very best phono amps and preamps are being discussed.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
It's a very good phono amp. I've been very happy with mine for the past 14 months or so. I did play with the capacitance setting a bit but didn't really notice much of a difference with my Goldfinger Statement. Now, put some Stillpoints under both pieces and tell me what you hear. Or, substitute a different power cord. I use a Shunyata Anaconda Zitron. Excellent results.

I think the XP25 and XP30 preamp from Pass don't get the respect they deserve when the very best phono amps and preamps are being discussed.

I actually never used the stock cord, only my Shunyata CX; and I placed my usual sorbothane/Isodamp combo underneath it from the start. RE: capacitance - I can hear some minute differences at the two extreme settings, but so far only if I stick my ear to the panel.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

I haven't used the A90 for a while, but when I did, I loaded it at 160, sometimes 250. For my Koetsu Coralstone and Tiger Eye carts, 320 or 500 ohms on my XP-25.

DRPye

Sep 18, 2011
Has anyone compared the new favorably rated Zanden 120 phono preamp to the Pass XP-25?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing