Peaches: Organic Versus Non-Organic

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Is it my imagination, or do non-organic peaches taste yummier and last longer than organic peaches?

Seriously I bought both organic peaches and non-organic peaches at Whole Foods a couple of weeks ago to conduct this little test. I felt that the non-organic peaches tasted better and were juicier and yummier than the organic peaches, and that the organic peaches rotted faster than the non-organic peaches.

Who among our members knowledgeable on this matter would be peachy-keen to opine?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Is it my imagination, or do non-organic peaches taste yummier and last longer than organic peaches?

Seriously I bought both organic peaches and non-organic peaches at Whole Foods a couple of weeks ago to conduct this little test. I felt that the non-organic peaches tasted better and were juicier and yummier than the organic peaches, and that the organic peaches rotted faster than the non-organic peaches.

Who among our members knowledgeable on this matter would be peachy-keen to opine?
Do you know if the non organic peaches are genetically modified in some manner?

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane

My brother was an organic farmer for a long time and he thought that organic farming generally required a much higher quality soil structure (organic material, essential minerals etc) to improve resistance against bugs and disease and that led to the better flavours rather than the absence of pesticides etc. Made sense to me.
Of course breed of plant made a difference as well and I have tasted plenty of awful organic tomatoes :)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have not found tasty fruits in whole foods. In fact I am quite disappointed with the taste of fruits in general in the U.K and the US as compared to India and Dubai.

Reactions: adamaley and Folsom

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Generally agree, Bonzo75. Often same with farmer's markets where it tastes like it came from a Waitrose or someplace else...just more expensive. Not always but often unfortunately.

If you are near High Street Ken or Marylebone, try Green Valley which is a Middle Eastern food store. Their fruits can be good. No, not going to beat locally grown Southeast Asia, South America or India perhaps, but we do some of their fruits are good.

Reactions: bonzo75

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Organic peaches are better under the right circumstances. The problem is that store bought peaches are always shit. The non-organic ones could be treated with something to make them last longer. The mention of bananas is similar in that they pick them not ripe, and the organic ones are probably even less ripe than the other ones.

If you want good peaches you go to an orchard. There is no other way. There you will find them to be delicious. If they make stuff with them, also delicious. We have an area here where it's a thing to go to the orchards in summer time. They often play live music and stuff on weekends as well.

There is good fruit in US, but not so much at most supermarkets. Pineapple? Eh... But pineapple in Hawaii from farmers market? ORGASMIC. It's really sad how much we ship fruits around just for bottom dollar line, when it's not that hard to grow them locally.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
We make a fantastic peach, ham, and burrata salad at home

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Ron Resnick

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Do you know if the non organic peaches are genetically modified in some manner?
I have no idea. Honestly, I have enough trouble figuring out what gluten is.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
The peaches we get along with tomato’s from a local farm are organic and are phenomenal. The peaches do not last as long but that flavor.

I went and picked some and you could just snack on them and they're super good. No they didn't last long. Made stuff with them to preserve them but you realize how short their life is uncooked unless they're filled with who knows that.

almsthere

Sep 28, 2015
MANITOBA CANADA
Agree with all of the above.
Fruits are bred and picked (unripe) to travel undamaged.
Some of the best tasting varieties are locally grown.
Non - organic apples, peaches, pears, grapes, cherries are part of the Environmental Working Group (EWG) “dirty dozen” list i.e. loaded with pesticides.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
The real issue with stone fruits and fruit in general is when they pick the fruit and how long it has been in cold storage.

The closer to being ripe, picked, sold and eaten the better any fruit will taste, organic or non organic.

Nowadays thou, so many fruits are picked green, put into cold storage and ripened at the store. Bad for the consumer, great for the retailer.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing