Passive Preamps

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Is a passive preamp the audio equivalent of non-alcoholic beer? You know, it sort of tastes like beer but you know something funny is going on.

rce

Jan 18, 2011
Perth, Western Australia
I am currently using the well regarded (at least in Europe) Yamaha YPC-1 passive attenuator. Sounds very transparent in my system. Anyone had any experiance with the YPC-1 and passive versus active in general?

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
Sources are designed for active pre-amps. Most if not all lack the drive to handle the load that these pre-amps put on them. The dynamics suffer the most and distortion increases.

Well I don't know; my Wadia S7i is designed for direct connection; whilst I am not going into the ongoing and neverending discussion about preamp or no preamp, I can definitely say, that putting the Audio Consulting Silver Rock TVC is the best solution for me yet; comparisons are Berning ZOTL Pre, Audiopax Model 5 or an Accuphase 2400. FWIW

Tom1356

Oct 16, 2011
I have been using a S&B silver wire transformer based preamp for five years now.
I would adjust all the other components in the system to keep the passive pre.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
We have a passive preamp on our product line up although I haven't seen it in the flesh much less heard it. The cute thing is that it is powered but just for the leds and remote control operation.

I call it the Passive for Passives :D

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Which preamp is that Jack? - I tried my Accuphase DAC directly to the ML 333 and liking it!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Hi Flez,

It's this one

http://www.townshendaudio.com/revie...bury Pre 1 vol5 no 3 HIFICritic Hi Res.pdf

We also got an email from Max that he's developed another one at a more reasonable price (~1,900GBP vs ~9,000GBP for the Glastonbury) sans bells and whistles. It's called the Allegri. It should be on the website in a week or two.
The Glastongury has had some great reviews here in UK, well respected preamp.
Have you managed to compare it to Musical First reference passive preamp?
That is also well received here in UK.
Still, I doubt you will change from the Glastonbury as I read it is meant to be that good :)

Cheers
Orb

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
Hi Flez,

It's this one

http://www.townshendaudio.com/revie...bury Pre 1 vol5 no 3 HIFICritic Hi Res.pdf

We also got an email from Max that he's developed another one at a more reasonable price (~1,900GBP vs ~9,000GBP for the Glastonbury) sans bells and whistles. It's called the Allegri. It should be on the website in a week or two.

I read that link, thanks - I own an Audio Consulting silver rock and can't help wondering who thought of it first, even though I own a Rock TT ;-)
what's your take on that?
e

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The Glastonbury Pre is in our lineup but we haven't ordered it or it's upcoming little brother the Allegri yet. I run two sets of 12m interconnects so I'm a bit apprehensive about using passives. I rotate between the Lamm L2 Reference and a Valvet Soulshine with a prototype all SS power supply or the usual VUPPS solid state/tube rectified selectable PS.

I got the Rock 7 recently it is one heck of a table for the price. Less expansive stage than the TW but it makes up for that with loads of midrange density. The strike I have against the Excalibur tonearm is that the tapered headshell won't accept round bodied cartridges. Fit and finish could also be better. I wonder how much better the older cost no object Rocks like the 3 and 5 might be when compared.

I haven't heard the Musical Reference yet either and just learned about the Audio Consulting and Ypsilon from you guys, right here on this thread :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing