Pass XS-150's

Thanks Christian,

I guess that means your happy :)

Sounds awesome! I hope you are feeling better.

Update:...No hint of any distortion...like each musical element having it's own power source. Nothing in the musical presentation takes away from other elements in the music presentation...QUOTE]

That is very, very difficult to find. Congrats. It is one thing for electronics to be able to keep every single instrumental line in complex music separated...that is tough enough. But further being able to give each instrument/musical line its own dynamic range...to be able to keep a pianissimo 'ting' going alongside a forte 'gong' and each be perfectly distinguished, part of a musical whole but also each being appreciated as their own notes...is far rarer in my personal experience...and it is tremendous when you hear it done well. Usually, if a system is going to be able to do that...it is probably not going to strain to do it...and effortlessness has its own amazing effect on musical presentation.

Sit back and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!

Bump for Xs amp updates ... :D

Still a little early for me Joe. I'm breaking in the 300s along with the XP30 and XP25. Plus I plugged in the upgraded Audience Ar6TSS conditioner I got back today. The system does sound fantastic already though. I had been listening to the XP30 with both the ARC Ref 610s and the Pass XA100.5. What I'm listening to right now has already surpassed by a wide margin previous configurations. Including when I had the ARC Anniversary preamp installed. Across the board, clarity, focus, imaging, air, space, bass definition. I find it hard to believe it's still going to get better! Lucky me!

Still a little early for me Joe. I'm breaking in the 300s along with the XP30 and XP25. Plus I plugged in the upgraded Audience Ar6TSS conditioner I got back today. The system does sound fantastic already though. I had been listening to the XP30 with both the ARC Ref 610s and the Pass XA100.5. What I'm listening to right now has already surpassed by a wide margin previous configurations. Including when I had the ARC Anniversary preamp installed. Across the board, clarity, focus, imaging, air, space, bass definition. I find it hard to believe it's still going to get better! Lucky me!

Frank,

I am very happy for you. I was just going to "settle" for the XA100.5's (or XA160.5's) but have to believe the Xs-150 will be head and shoulders above them. What do you think? Wait for the Xs-150's? I absolutely love my XP-30 preamp.

Frank,

I am very happy for you. I was just going to "settle" for the XA100.5's (or XA160.5's) but have to believe the Xs-150 will be head and shoulders above them. What do you think? Wait for the Xs-150's? I absolutely love my XP-30 preamp.

The XA100.5 is a great amp. The XS is in another league all together. But it should be for the price!! XS=excess

By the way, Christian mentioned it but I can't stress it enough, these things are huge! The xs300s are the equivalent in size of 4 xa200.5's. And the heat they throw off has to be considered. You need space for these monsters!

It might be tough, but I'll squeeze them in somehow. :) I probably can do it until next year anyway unless I sell my 911's.

XS300 Update

The amps and preamp have been running 24/7 for the past 8 days. I've spent most waking hours running vinyl through the phono amp. The XP25 now has about 68 hours on it. Until last night I was extremely disappointed. Finally it started to smooth out a bit and I heard some bass for the first time in a week yesterday. Today is a different story all together. It is starting to get really exciting!!

It will all come together seamlessly Frank. It has in my system. Glad things are improving. It's got to be tough breaking in so many new components at once.

Break in is a tough ride, glad everything is improving.

I'm going from hearsay, but I understand that one area of significant improvement in the XS over the XA100.5 is in the area of noise reduction. Compared to the XA.5 line, the XS has vanishingly low levels of noise and grain. As a result, everything is easier to hear and music sounds much more natural. Is this what Frank and Christian are hearing? Owning the XA160.5, I'm having trouble imagining that it can get much better. I'm not sure I want to hear the new amps. My friend described his experience comparing the XP-30 to my XP-20 as follows: "You don't know what you are missing until you hear it." I know what he means, and I'm afraid to have that experience knowing I won't be able to afford them. You guys are lucky, and I'm really envious. Congratulations again.

These amps are incredibly quiet and every detail is heard, many I haven't heard before on familiar recordings. They are truly an incredible listening experience.

I'm going from hearsay, but I understand that one area of significant improvement in the XS over the XA100.5 is in the area of noise reduction. Compared to the XA.5 line, the XS has vanishingly low levels of noise and grain. As a result, everything is easier to hear and music sounds much more natural. Is this what Frank and Christian are hearing? Owning the XA160.5, I'm having trouble imagining that it can get much better. I'm not sure I want to hear the new amps. My friend described his experience comparing the XP-30 to my XP-20 as follows: "You don't know what you are missing until you hear it." I know what he means, and I'm afraid to have that experience knowing I won't be able to afford them. You guys are lucky, and I'm really envious. Congratulations again.

I don't want to be accused of hyperbole but I've had the xp20 and xp30 side by side. The xs/xa comparison is no xp20/xp30 scenario. Unbelievably to me, the delta in performance between amps is staggering! I can't believe what has happened in my listening room just since my last post. I'm not quite sure what I was expecting but I didn't think what I'm hearing right now was remotely possible. You really have to hear it for yourself.

So my left channel stack is going back to Pass....what a drag. When I turn the amps to full power and even with the preamp volume at zero, I hear a tube like sputtering white noise sound. Initially it would go away in 15 seconds, now it's started intermittently making that sound when listening. Talk about inconvenience..
At least I still have a Mark Levinson 27.5 to tie me over until the amp comes back.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing