Outboard tape head pre-amplifier

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Good afternoon all,

Is anyone using an outboard pre amp wired from the playback tape heads of your tape deck? If so, which model pre amp (tube-solid state-DIY)? Were you able to wire it so that you could continue use of the internal electronics? If so how did you accomplish that feat? What was your experience regarding the final sound? And finally, does anyone here use Tascam tape decks? Any feedback will be very much appreciated.

jazzbo

Saturntube

Industry Expert
Feb 8, 2011
Austin Texas
www.SadurniAcoustics.com
Outboard electronics, they are ussually better than most comercial stuff that come inside the machine, but maybe not the top machines.
There are a few makers I know that do tape preamps, Bottlehead and King Cello come to mind...
You just wire the heads directly to the preamp. RCA connectors of course.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I have yet to hear an outboard preamp better than the stock electronics I'm using. I have a switch that was built by Ki to facilitate the use of either internal or external electronics.

As well as the aboved mentioned pres, the other outboard unit I've used is the dehaviland Model 222.

Last edited:

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Thanks much everyone. A switch sounds like the way to go regarding using an outboard pre amp as well as the internal electronics in a tape deck. I would guess that the signal coming off the tape heads is similar to the signal from a moving coil cart. I wonder what effect a switch would have on such a tiny signal as it passed though the switch then down 24inch cables to the pre amp? I wonder if there would be any signal degradation? Do you have any suggestions regarding a particular kind or model of switch?

jazzbo:)

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Good afternoon all,

Is anyone using an outboard pre amp wired from the playback tape heads of your tape deck? If so, which model pre amp (tube-solid state-DIY)? Were you able to wire it so that you could continue use of the internal electronics? If so how did you accomplish that feat? What was your experience regarding the final sound? And finally, does anyone here use Tascam tape decks? Any feedback will be very much appreciated.

jazzbo
Hi Jazzbo
I am a DIYER so I like to modify the stock more than to put a outside one, the simple way is bypass all the switches and volume control will give you more transparency sound. also the best way is to change out put stage into tube gear and keep the first stage , EQ stage, adjust stage, in stock. because that design is for their heads. and the cost will less than to buy a new one. I always to have a switch for select back in compare to make sure what it's difference
tony ma

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Thanks much everyone. A switch sounds like the way to go regarding using an outboard pre amp as well as the internal electronics in a tape deck. I would guess that the signal coming off the tape heads is similar to the signal from a moving coil cart. I wonder what effect a switch would have on such a tiny signal as it passed though the switch then down 24inch cables to the pre amp? I wonder if there would be any signal degradation? Do you have any suggestions regarding a particular kind or model of switch?

jazzbo:)

That's why bypassed the switch in my Technics deck :) I can only play two track but I really don't play any commercial prerecorded 4 track tapes.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I have a Bottlehead tape pre attached to my Technics 1506. I got the tape deck from Bottlehead already modified. It bypasses all the Technics electronics, even the tape counter, which they said added a little noise to the playback. I can only playback with the system, though I can still use the 2 tr, 4 tr switch and play both kinds of tapes. It also only plays 15ips and 7.5ips tapes. There are dummy erase heads installed also. Finally, what is very nice is that there is a remote to control all the playback functions from my listening seat. Larry

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Hello Larry,

Sounds like you've got a nice tape setup. Your (Tape Project) modified deck is indeed very nice and sounds great playing the most recent pre-recorded tapes. I had a Technics 1506 which I purchased from a gentleman who posted an ad in the Washington DC Post newspaper. I sold it on Ebay much later. I wanted a tape deck that was closer to professional. I finally located a Tascam 42B recently which does many things plus spooling/library wind. I am very happy with this deck and it's built like a very heavy rock.

At my age (I am retired) I did not want an Ampex or Studer studio machine because I wanted to be able to get it to the shop if there was any repairs required and you just can't grab one of these 150 plus pound decks and take it in without assistance. Presently, I can handle this 70 pound beast. Plus, my music room/space will not house anything other than one or two portable/desktop tape decks.

I am not sure if the playback heads on my Tascam are moderate or low output so I am going to look for a pre amp that is adjustable if possible. Although the tape heads shows "Tascam/Teac" I think they might just be "Nortronics". I've done some research but can't find info on them. There is no real info in the owner's manuals.

The tech that works on stuff for me says he will design his own tape head pre amp. We will see what happens.

bob

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
We can add this tubed one from germany .
I use it as a tapebuffer stage in my system between the tapemachine audiocards and the pre amp , but after reading the product description more closely , it seems it functions as a tape pre amplifier as well for a direct " heads out "tape machine
In any case to be sure you can contact Eternal arts in germany , its a very nice company to deal with.
I own it for about 2 years now and it operates and sounds perfectly .

1642855814229.png

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
If it is actually the case this could very well be my next HIFI purchase .
It would make a nice modern combination , the Ballfinger has a separate external pôwer supply to reduce the s/n ratio .

1642856392840.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Salectric

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing