Optical Fibre Cable for Finisar FTLF1324

RikkiPoo

Nov 4, 2020
The 1318 is their newer version of the 1324. To my ears it comes very close to the 1324, but can be a bit more forward. It also takes some time to settle in.

Checks eBay for both. That’s how I found mine.
I installed 1324's last night replacing 1318's and the difference is easily heard. Much smoother, mellower but with loads of detail and texture. I agree the 1318 is more forward and I experienced sibilance on some tracks.

I tried the Sonore brand multimode fiber and SFP's and wasn't pleased, they were too dark.

I was using Startech SFP's before and they sounded good until I clocked the Etherregen and SOtM sNH 10G. The extra detail and lower noise floor revealed edginess that I did not recognize before.

Reactions: slai and kennyb123

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I received the two Finisar 1318 and the Phoenix Contact GlassFiber which replaced Ubiquiti MM transceivers between the two Melco S100 switches.

The difference was substantial, more musical with lots of detail and super highs !!!! Combination rocks !
I have tried Glass Fiber some years ago with my Emm Labs Dac back then and the results were excellent compared to PVC Fiber
I'm trying to understand the difference between "Glass" and "PVC" fiber.

Is that not referring only to the outside sheathing? Isn't all fiber optic light passing through a glass tube?

What do you attribute your experience of better sound quality to -- the lack of PVC on the outside?

It appears glass fiber, like the Phoenix, are very rare and much more expensive.

Any clarification on this appreciated! Thanks

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I ordered the Finisar 1318 combined with Glassfiber cable, will report comparison with Ubiquiti transceiver
MelcoS100 -> Fiber -> Melco S100 -> wireworld & Sablon -> Nucleus+ - Melco N10 -> Stealth T USB -> MSB Diamond V
Econom, Are you using 2 Melco switches in your set up? Or, are you going fiber in and fiber out of the same switch? I ask because I haven't been able to get my S100 take fiber in/out -- only one or the other.

econom

Apr 2, 2020
Wil, I am using 2 Melco switches so I am connecting the two with the optical

MichaelC

Apr 13, 2021
Thx for Sharing your experience. Do I understand correctly that the Finisar 1324 SFP Module is preferred? If yes, what Type are you using? Finisar FTLF1324P2BTL or FTLF1324P2BTV? A friend has recommended the Finisar FTLX1471D3BCF, which is More expensive. Would appreciate your advice!

in Addition, there are multiple Variation of Glass Fiber cables? Which Type can be used with above transceivers?

Thx so much! Michael

RikkiPoo

Nov 4, 2020

Duckworp

Oct 14, 2018
I have recommended the Finisar a number of times. A few people have thanked me and said that the Finisar sound better than the SFPs that Sonore provides. I think Sonore would prefer that you use their own SFPs so they don't receive questions about incompatibilities with other brands. I will say though that the Finisar 1324 is the best of the 4-5 different SFPs I've tried. Highly recommended.

Note that SFP is based on standard. Any SFP adhering to that standard should work in the OM.
@kennyb123 please would you advise me what switch or converter you are using with your Finisar 1324? I have bought 4 of these after your and Rikipoo recommended them but unfortunately my Cisco switch will not recognise the SFP. I have a Cisco switch at one end and an EtherREGEN at the other. rikiPoo uses an ER so hence I know it is the Cisco and not the ER which is the issue. Thanks.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
@kennyb123 please would you advise me what switch or converter you are using with your Finisar 1324? I have bought 4 of these after your and Rikipoo recommended them but unfortunately my Cisco switch will not recognise the SFP. I have a Cisco switch at one end and an EtherREGEN at the other. rikiPoo uses an ER so hence I know it is the Cisco and not the ER which is the issue. Thanks.

I can highly recommend using a Sonore opticalModule on the upstream side of the EtherRegen. It brought about a more organic and less mechanical sound to my network with no harshness that I could detect - and did this even with the supplied SMPS.

Reactions: diaZ and Duckworp

diaZ

Dec 30, 2019
I also like the sonore optical module for my finisar 1324 sfp. Sonore offers now a little bigger deluxe version, with better heat dissipation, easier to connect with all connections on the same side, not much more expensive, and to my ears even a bit better sounding.

aubreyBobb

Apr 22, 2021
Just been through the process of upgrading my optical connections. Afterdark Audio in Hong Kong is a great resource. Enough focus (its confusing initially) and study on their website will leave you with a good understanding of the issues. Their recommendations work and they sell end to end packages of what they recommend, so its not even necessary to fully understand everything. Prices very reasonable. I got a set of the best finnisar sfp+ units and the connecting cable to connect my SOTM to Regen for USD 300/- including 3 day DHL delivery to India. Lovely improvement from the primitive system I was using.

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
I wonder how we can distinguish between the core material being used, most fiberoptic cables do bot clearly specify if the core is PVC or glass?

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
The st optical cables supplied by emm labs are highly directional - meaning they sound drastically different depending on which direction they are being connected.

Has anyone checked that these optical cables with LC termination being used in the function of transmitting data packages are directional as well...?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing