Official Tron Legacy Trailer

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Loved the original movie. Michael Fremer has a fascinating article about doing the sound for the first film. The Wendy Williams soundtrack for the original was also quite good. I was surprised that the original Tron was considered a "flop,", I saw it a couple of times and liked it every time.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Steve, I just looked up the Tron soundtrack at Amazon and found this interesting review:

The U.S. release of this CD is missing a total of 9 tracks. That's almost 25 minutes of missing music. There is a much better limited 2-CD release available from Amazon.uk and Amazon.ca that includes 5 bonus tracks not available here in the States:

Encom Part 1 (3:53)
Encom Part 2 (2:18)
Round One (1:41)
Castor (2:19)
Reflections (2:42)

Additionally there are 2 bonus tracks available exclusively only from iTunes:

Father and Son (3:12)
Outlands Part II (2:53)

Also...

Sea of Simulation (2:41) is available to download in lossy mp3 format exclusively from Amazon.

Sunrise Prelude (2:50) is available exclusively to download from Nokia Ovi.

Unfortunately, if you want the complete soundtrack (legally) you have to import the more expensive 2-CD album and the only way to get the other four missing bonus tracks is to purchase them from iTunes AND get the 8th track from Amazon and 9th track from Nokia so keep in mind that you are NOT getting all of the really great memorable music from the film on the single disc 22 track domestic album. It also does not include the two retro 80's songs "Separate Ways (World's Apart)" by Journey and the Eurythmic's "Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)" that were both featured in Flynn's Arcade.

As for the score itself, it's absolutely mind-blowing. Daft Punk have created a sonic masterpiece worthy of the legacy of Tron. Their brilliant layering of ambient electronica with orchestral symphonics is every bit as avant garde in creating atmospheric digital soundscapes as Wendy Carlos' score was for the original Tron. I only wish that they had incorporated some more of Wendy's memorable themes. You can kind of hear a few familiar notes that recalls Tron's theme in "Adagio For Tron" but that's pretty much the only hat tip to Wendy's vintage score. Like the film itself, Daft Punk have taken the music of Tron to a whole new aesthetic level by incorporating their unique style of techno synthpop along with their influences of electronic film composers like Vangelis on "Arrival" to the ominous Carpenter-esque "C.L.U." and synthesizing them with traditional orchestral composers like Bernard Hermann and Max Steiner.

Thomas Bangalter and Guy-Manuel de Homen-Christo demonstrate they have the musical talents to command the accompaniment of a full symphony orchestra and can score unforgettable music for blockbuster films. When I heard Daft Punk were scoring the film, I admit I initially had my doubts that they could pull it off but they have and by far their score for Tron Legacy is one of the best and most inspirationally thrilling movie soundtracks of the modern age and deserves a complete 2-disc release and not scattered all over the Grid.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
^^^ Was just there....

John

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
It is a shame. Those are pretty nice tracks, especially the first one. Wonder why they took this path and whether they will under pressure release them in US now.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Loved the original movie. Michael Fremer has a fascinating article about doing the sound for the first film. The Wendy Williams soundtrack for the original was also quite good. I was surprised that the original Tron was considered a "flop,", I saw it a couple of times and liked it every time.

I never got the original flick. Maybe should see it again :)

For Fremer:

http://www.wendycarlos.com/other/PDF-Files/KbdOnTRON*.pdf

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Saw the IMAX 3D movie today. Visually fantastic, I sat up front. Also, good story. I like the Daft Punk soundtrack, very grandiose in a good way, but still have a soft spot for the original Wendy Carlos score.
Avatar was visually stunning with a cheesy story, Tron Legacy was visually stunning with a very good story, more than worthy successor to the original with unbelievably advanced effects.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing