Official Thread to Report Bugs, Concerns or Suggestions With The New Site Platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Has anyone else been experiencing slowness with the web site over the past several days? I have, and I have seen 503 errors as well.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Has anyone else been experiencing slowness with the web site over the past several days? I have, and I have seen 503 errors as well.
Not at my end

503 errors IIRC mean the server has timed out

I have found occasionally when I have logged on when our web host is doing a server back up or other server issues I have gotten the same error

We still are behind the DDoS block and I don't think any of us know for certain what ramifications come with that

I did get a message this morning from a member who got the following message and wanted to know if anyone else has seen this message...

When I went to the site this morning through Firefox I got a security warning not to proceed because of potential security risk
The details say it is only registered for sucuri.net and not WBF.

I am uncertain but wonder if our DDoS block is through sucuri.net

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

I had, I think the latest 503 error I saw was couple days ago.
And @ times recently the site was also sluggish for me, so you aren't alone.

I'm replying to you because you are correct in your observation.
I did not bother mentioning it myself as it was brief and inconsequential.

Yesterday I deleted all my browsing history so I couldn't locate the exact time of my few last 503 errors. But I remember two days ago for sure. Yesterday I wasn't active enough to notice any slowness if present.

Cheers,

Reactions: dminches

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
same here. and I produced some double and triple postings because of that flakey response

Reactions: dminches

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I had a 503 error about 2 hours ago

I feel we can eliminate these recurring issues but if we go that route we could be saying good bye to our members from Hong Kong unless they use a VPN
I’ve had several over the past couple of days too, but only for a moment.
david

accwai

Jul 26, 2012
It may very well be. A trace route from my machine to WBF ends at a sucuri.net address.
Don't even need a traceroute actually. Check this out:
$ nslookup whatsbestforum.com
[...]
Non-authoritative answer:
Name: whatsbestforum.com
Address: 192.124.249.110

$ nslookup 192.124.249.110
110.249.124.192.in-addr.arpa name = cloudproxy10110.sucuri.net.

Authoritative answers can be found from:
249.124.192.in-addr.arpa nameserver = 11.sucuridns.com.
[...]
So WBF is fronted by a Sucuri gateway, period.

As for HTTP 503, don't believe I have seen that at all. It's an error response that usually mean the plumbing of the website is clogged somewhere. It could be in Sucuri's edge location, but it's far more likely to the in WBF infrastructure itself. But at least things aren't swamped enough that it couldn't even tell you it's swamped.

What I have seen a lot though is connection timeout. This happens suddenly during normal website navigation. And once started, it will persist for 10-15min and suddenly comes back. I've always suspected it's Sucuri that's cutting me off. My practice is not to log onto a website unless I'm posting something. And once in a while during WBF login, I got a page saying my IP address has been temporarily black listed because of security concern, if that's a mistake please open a support ticket with Sucuri blah blah blah. This reinforces my hunch that Sucuri has been messing with my interaction with WBF. And for fun I tried opening the support ticket and was asked a customer userid and password. Ummm... Yeah.

As for my IP address, I don't normally obfuscate my IP at all so a quick geolocation lookup would put me right in Toronto, Canada. Security concern? Things usually come back in a short while so I just let it be, until yesterday. I was cut off all day yesterday from first thing in the morning to late at night before going to bed. In the afternoon, just for fun I tried coming in with an obfuscated IP address through Tor. And guess what? It worked. Ironic eh? Didn't stick around too much but this positively confirmed that Sucuri's been messing with me. I can understand the desire to block attacks, but I'm curious about the process that marks me as attacker. Must be rather fascinating...

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
The last few days have been slow or no response for me. Slow like 5 min to display or just times out. If someone can recommend a way to trouble shoot let me know. All other websites/my internet connection etc seem to just just fine. Thanks

Steve Williams

The site has been slow for me as well the past few days

In fact Julian was changing the forum home page today and was locked out 3 times and he is in Spain

we have submitted a ticket and we are contemplating removing the DDoS block as that seems always to be where the problem lies

Steve Williams

there is no question that in order two help solve a problem (instituting the DDoS Block) we have created another problem with the site running slowly to the extent that we are looking into the ramifications if we remove the block

djsina2

May 30, 2019
You should find out exactly what type of DDoS was causing the problems before and then specifically solve for that.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I hope it can be sorted out without incurring slow response times for members. I told Steve I have no issue with using a VPN if that helps solve the issue but I obviously don’t speak for everyone who might get blocked after removal of the block.

Reactions: Steve Williams

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I've had no access for about 16 hours until just now. Browser says timeout, server is busy.

Wow!

Personally for the last seven days (or more) I experienced zero issues.
It's true too that I don't hang around as much as I used to, so perhaps that comes into play, I just don't know.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I haven’t had any issues using Comcast in CA. Knock on wood. :)

Steve Williams

I've had no access for about 16 hours until just now. Browser says timeout, server is busy.

Tim

I forwarded your IP address to our webhost as he requested.

If any others have been shut out can you post here so I have your IP address

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
So why are US ip addresses being locked out? I fully admit to not understanding any of the jargon though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing