OCD Hi-Fi Guy

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
Absolutely. Any time, Anyone, is selling something, take it with a grain of salt. The one time I heard an MSB DAC, I didn't think it sounded analytical. System dependent, no doubt. I don't know if I would say his channel is necessarily driven by controversy. I do think he makes some legitimate criticisms of the high end audio industry.
He used to be the US distributor and retailer for Denafrips, endlessly praising their build quality, performance and value in his videos. Then the relationship was ended and he started bad mouthing the company and their products as being inferior, completely the opposite of his previous claims and obviously a case of sour grapes. So while he's repeatedly shown his biases many times, that doesn't mean that all of his observations are without merit.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
He used to be the US distributor and retailer for Denafrips, endlessly praising their build quality, performance and value in his videos. Then the relationship was ended and he started bad mouthing the company and their products as being inferior, completely the opposite of his previous claims and obviously a case of sour grapes.

Interesting, thanks for that backstory.

So while he's repeatedly shown his biases many times, that doesn't mean that all of his observations are without merit.

That's a balanced view that sums it up nicely.

Reactions: MadFloyd

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
He did some videos with Jay on YT, the most entertaining was discussing a comparison of the Playback Designs and MSB. Jay owns an $80K MSB so of course Jay took the MSB side. And Jay did his own videos comparing them.

Reactions: Hmart

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
He did some videos with Jay on YT, the most entertaining was discussing a comparison of the Playback Designs and MSB. Jay owns an $80K MSB so of course Jay took the MSB side. And Jay did his own videos comparing them.
Of course both of them feel their gear is best. Is Jay's MSB worth 80K? Is OCD's PB worth 20K? To the person buying it the answer is yes.

Reactions: Pokey77

caesar

May 30, 2010
If the MSB dac sounds analytical and not musical its the system not the dac. I do not get that kind of sound at my place. I have heard the Lapmizator and Total dac and also the best Nagra dac which also is a 2XDSD dac. The Bricasti Dac I had at the time was better than the others. I did like the Lampizator, but did not like the Total Dac or the Nagra which sounded like you put a blanket over the speakers. I think the MSB is the best dac so far that I ever heard. I just listened to Yes Fragile on a 24/96 download that sounded amazing no brightness at all. Listen to John Lee Hooker or Muddy Water The Folk Singer and wow it takes you emotionally to another place.
Hi Jeffy,
We all have different tastes and perceptions. And furthermore, we all get acclimated to certain tastes. I have heard dCS and MSB in multiple systems , at times in my 4 systems and in friends' systems who have very similar systems and never liked them, as it lacks emotion - just as the guy says. But I am glad you find it enjoyable.

caesar

May 30, 2010
What a bunch of schlock. I think most people on this forum know that system context is crucial. If your system is not up to the task of hosting an honest source, you're going to get something that sounds analytical. I get that not everyone wants to hear everything on a recording - or simply prefer a more editorialized version but to advise people to buy Playback Designs (like it's the only other choice) is laughable.
Hi Madfloyd,
I respectfully disagree with you. Yes, system context is crucial. And some guys can spend 6 months optimizing the setup. But personal preference trumps system context: one man's honest source is another man's analytical source or colored source...

And furthermore, everything is editorialized in this hobby.. just depends on your point of reference or what you have been acclimated to.

Reactions: louawalters

caesar

May 30, 2010
Absolutely. Any time, Anyone, is selling something, take it with a grain of salt.

Hi Wil,
If we are all being intellectually honest, all of us are "selling something"... we are all pushing our tastes and trying to influence others when we comment on gear.

I happen to think it's a huge fallacy committed by so many audiophiles to assume that the way they see reality is the TRUTH, while everyone else wrong.

So many people in this hobby believe they see the world as it actually is, rather from their own perspective. But it's just their subjective opinion of the stereo illusion.

Behavioral psychologists have a name for this fallacy: Naïve Realism.

Reactions: battles and Solypsa

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I had never heard of this guy and watched the video. I only commented because his analogy with the Christmas tree ornaments resonated with me as did his language and the way he described the differences between the two DACs. I have heard just such a presentation, but very interestingly, the others did not.

We all have our own things we focus on and pay attention to. We also have our own preferences which I think strongly override everything else. Three people who all use live music as a reference, can't agree on how something sounds. They can agree that something is dynamic, but not on what sounds natural. Systems and component choices then reflect their perception of reality and their preferences. It's why there are so many variations in audio. It is also why it is so rare to fully agree with someone else about how something sounds. In the end, what you like is the only thing that matters to you, and it should not really matter to others.

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
I had never heard of this guy and watched the video. I only commented because his analogy with the Christmas tree ornaments resonated with me as did his language and the way he described the differences between the two DACs. I have heard just such a presentation, but very interestingly, the others did not.

Peter great observation of the video with the Christmas ornament analogy. Going off track a bit and expanding on having someone visualize imaging this young audiophile on YouTube I think does a great job articulating it with books and stuffed animals. I like to see youth getting excited about high end audio!!

Reactions: louawalters

caesar

May 30, 2010
Including behavioral psychologists.
everyone. it's human nature. Read Cialdini's book on influence. He's the world's most reknown expert on influence and he freely admits how he gets hooked.... And that's why when some guys claim something is "neutral" or "colored" is kind of humorous - we need comparisons. And we should listen to all points of view and then allocate our precious time to audition by what may appeal to us

Reactions: tima

Al Stewart

May 14, 2017
I follow both OCD guy and Jay's Audio Lab on YT. They are clearly attempting to cross-pollinate their subscribers by appearing in videos together. OCD guy is selling gear--though says he is doing it honestly. Jay is selling his ultra hi-end experiences--listen to this combo--now listen to that combo--and giving his honest opinion on the gear he buys. He then sells the gear into the used marketplace. The common denominator is they both trade on "unvarnished opinions."

OCD guy is Mike Powell and he is behind Verastarr cables and 11Stereo. He sells Jeff Rowland, NAT, Verastarr, Playback Designs and a few other brands.

VLS

Mar 7, 2019
Boston, MA
MEDIA=youtube]UN4OxqtOVfo[/MEDIA]

I thought my MSB Reference DAC was amazingly organic and supremely natural sounding, but a man on the Internet strongly asserted otherwise, so I will have to get rid of it.

In the future I will clearly need to pay closer attention to his incisive, well informed, and deeply reasoned analysis, and hope to make better choices.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I usually do not see youtube videos except when I need to find a fast way to fix something or fitting new cartridges to the printer ... However, if I know that a video related to the high-end from a reliable source will probably help increasing my listening bias, incrementing the enjoyment of my music, sometimes I can' t resist.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I usually do not see youtube videos except when I need to find a fast way to fix something or fitting new cartridges to the printer ... However, if I know that a video related to the high-end from a reliable source will probably help increasing my listening bias, incrementing the enjoyment of my music, sometimes I can' t resist.

It is futile to resist. Even people who hate system videos and say they suck, cannot help themselves so they watch them and then comment on them.

I don’t think these guys’ system videos actually sound very good. However, there’s no denying that they have a growing following and people are paying attention.

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
Both future industry experts I wonder if any of the ones here started out that way. give a person a microphone and boom expert

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
It is futile to resist. Even people who hate system videos and say they suck, cannot help themselves so they watch them and then comment on them. I don’t think these guys’ system videos actually sound very good.
However, there’s no denying that they have a growing following and people are paying attention.

Since long I resist to system videos. Just checked a few with spectral tools and confirmed how misleading they can be. But surely they are a good form of sharing and communication between audiophiles with similar interests.

Reactions: PeterA

Al Stewart

May 14, 2017
YT, Instagram, Tic Toc, etc-- these are the leading edge of mass communication today. I agree with @K3RMIT that starting a YT channel doesn't make an expert--but it can attract crowds--and crowds crown their own experts.

Both OCD guy and Jay's Audio are growing subscribers to grow ad revenue. Simple business model--keep loading new content that subscribers indicate interests them. They share it--we talk about it--more of us subscribe.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing