OCD Hi-Fi Guy

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I just happened across this Hi-Fi guy on YouTube. I'll say one thing, he is funny. And not a shrinking violet. His description of what he likes or doesn't like in a DAC is right up the Natural Sound alley, though I think he manages to avoid saying the word "natural." Kudos on that!

caesar

May 30, 2010
Good Lord! And I thought I was opinionated! :)

I know they guy like Playback Designs. But I hope this guy hears the Lampizator, Aries Cerat, and TotalDAC. When Playback Designs up-calculates the signal to DSD, there is a loss of dynamics and a fake smoothness, but the brands I mention have the similar soul he mentions but sound more alive.

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
If the MSB dac sounds analytical and not musical its the system not the dac. I do not get that kind of sound at my place. I have heard the Lapmizator and Total dac and also the best Nagra dac which also is a 2XDSD dac. The Bricasti Dac I had at the time was better than the others. I did like the Lampizator, but did not like the Total Dac or the Nagra which sounded like you put a blanket over the speakers. I think the MSB is the best dac so far that I ever heard. I just listened to Yes Fragile on a 24/96 download that sounded amazing no brightness at all. Listen to John Lee Hooker or Muddy Water The Folk Singer and wow it takes you emotionally to another place.

Reactions: Lee

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
So I have just ventured into the world of MSB DACs. I have a premier coming in the next week or so and after watching the video will I become a digital bitch? I am currently using a Denafrips Terminator Plus.

• Haha
Reactions: CKKeung and tima

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
So I have just ventured into the world of MSB DACs. I have a premier coming in the next week or so and after watching the video will I become a digital bitch? I am currently using a Denafrips Terminator Plus.
Congrats on your Premier. I'm breaking in a MSB Premier currently. One sweet unit to my ears.

Reactions: CKKeung

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
Good Lord! And I thought I was opinionated! :)

I know they guy like Playback Designs. But I hope this guy hears the Lampizator, Aries Cerat, and TotalDAC. When Playback Designs up-calculates the signal to DSD, there is a loss of dynamics and a fake smoothness, but the brands I mention have the similar soul he mentions but sound more alive.
Which Playback Designs models are you talking about? And what was the rest of the rig? There is no loss of dynamics or "fake smoothness" with my Playback Designs MPT8/MPD8, Boulder 3060 amp and YG Sonja XV speakers. I heard the Lampizator and TotalDAC, don't recall the models, at shows in 2018, before choosing PD. Easily the best digital I have heard.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Hey I saw the title and was a little offended about the OCD and the theft of my moniker, but I am both so Rock on!

Reactions: skids929

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Which Playback Designs models are you talking about? And what was the rest of the rig? There is no loss of dynamics or "fake smoothness" with my Playback Designs MPT8/MPD8, Boulder 3060 amp and YG Sonja XV speakers. I heard the Lampizator and TotalDAC, don't recall the models, at shows in 2018, before choosing PD. Easily the best digital I have heard.
at shows on different speakers in different rooms?

Reactions: PeterA

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I think he manages to avoid saying the word "natural." Kudos on that!

natural natural natural :p

try 1:01 - 1:06

"the humanity of digital to analog conversion" !

"the [topmost] products are made to laugh at the people who buy them"

"a parody of musicality" <snip>

What hoot!

I'd never seen this guy until now but I bet he's listened to some records in his day.

Reactions: D.Duttilleux

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I enjoyed that guys comparison. It reminds me very much of two cables I heard in a friend system a couple weeks ago. One sounded really natural where the instruments were all arranged on a stage and performed as a group with their sounds overlapping and filling the space while the other sounded very much like this guys Christmas tree ornament analogy. The instruments were these self-contained sounds in these orbs and had no relationship to each other.

I dare say the former cable sounded much more natural and the latter sounded analytical. One was about the music the other was about the sound but only one reminding me of the real thing.

I didn’t know that MSB Stands for the most significant bit. Is that like the FirstWatt?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I just happened across this Hi-Fi guy on YouTube. I'll say one thing, he is funny. And not a shrinking violet. His description of what he likes or doesn't like in a DAC is right up the Natural Sound alley, though I think he manages to avoid saying the word "natural." Kudos on that!

Wil, The guy uses the word natural twice in the very beginning of the comparison. I found the way he describes the respective DACs to be quite refreshing. Right to the point with no mumbo-jumbo.

Reactions: wil

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
What a bunch of schlock. I think most people on this forum know that system context is crucial. If your system is not up to the task of hosting an honest source, you're going to get something that sounds analytical. I get that not everyone wants to hear everything on a recording - or simply prefer a more editorialized version but to advise people to buy Playback Designs (like it's the only other choice) is laughable.

I enjoyed that guys comparison. It reminds me very much of two cables I heard in a friend system a couple weeks ago. One sounded really natural where the instruments were all arranged on a stage and performed as a group with their sounds overlapping and filling the space while the other sounded very much like this guys Christmas tree ornament analogy. The instruments were these self-contained sounds in these orbs and had no relationship to each other.

I dare say the former cable sounded much more natural and the latter sounded analytical. One was about the music the other was about the sound but only one reminding me of the real thing.

I have to shake my head at the definitiveness of your statement, Peter (since I'm the friend you're referring to). In my opinion there was no contest between those two cables in terms of musicality - the one you thought sounded analytical provided me with a much more realistic portrayal of instruments in space - but more importantly, conveyed the timbre of the instruments - whereas the one you preferred made everything to my ears sound 'gray' and somewhat congealed to the point it was difficult to identify which (wind) instruments were being played.

But that only goes to show that we all value different aspects of a music playback system and the audiophile market is diverse for this reason. What sounds 'natural' to you is not what sounds natural to me and we both cite live music as our reference.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Wil, The guy uses the word natural twice in the very beginning of the comparison.
I stand corrected!

Below is an excellent verbalization from Hi-Fi Guy on what is high fidelity sound. (you have to endure the first lame 50 sec, though).

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
What a bunch of schlock. I think most people on this forum know that system context is crucial. If your system is not up to the task of hosting an honest source, you're going to get something that sounds analytical. I get that not everyone wants to hear everything on a recording - or simply prefer a more editorialized version but to advise people to buy Playback Designs (like it's the only other choice) is laughable.

Indeed.

I have to shake my head at the definitiveness of your statement, Peter (since I'm the friend you're referring to). In my opinion there was no contest between those two cables in terms of musicality - the one you thought sounded analytical provided me with a much more realistic portrayal of instruments in space - but more importantly, conveyed the timbre of the instruments - whereas the one you preferred made everything to my ears sound 'gray' and somewhat congealed to the point it was difficult to identify which (wind) instruments were being played.

I have also, on two occasions, heard this cable comparison in your system, Ian, and I have to shake my head at Peter's assessment as well. I totally agree with how you describe the cable difference.

But that only goes to show that we all value different aspects of a music playback system and the audiophile market is diverse for this reason. What sounds 'natural' to you is not what sounds natural to me and we both cite live music as our reference.

Yes, this is why we all have different system approaches -- even if we can value each others' sounds (which is not always the case either). I always find it utterly laughable when someone on WBF proclaims one particular system approach as "the best" or the "most natural sounding", and they think everyone would agree if they only had the chance to properly hear those systems or system approaches. Unfortunately, this happens quite often.

Reactions: VLS and MadFloyd

wil

Jul 22, 2015
he also sells Playback...and drives a YT channel based on controversy.
Absolutely. Any time, Anyone, is selling something, take it with a grain of salt. The one time I heard an MSB DAC, I didn't think it sounded analytical. System dependent, no doubt. I don't know if I would say his channel is necessarily driven by controversy. I do think he makes some legitimate criticisms of the high end audio industry.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing