Notes from AXPONA 2019

Al Stewart

May 14, 2017
Alex: I heard LZ in your room on the Galder/Odin rig. It was terrific. Then you played Dire Straits' Reid Across the River and that was great too. Your room excelled at letting folks request music and you delivering it either via LP or through the Innous Statement. BTW the Statement is seriously good.
Kudos
Al

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Thanks, Al!
I had more goodies planned, but only one of my LP crates came... But we had the Innuos there for greater diversity :)
I'm back at the store, and I seriously miss the Statement, as ours is making its way back from Chicago...

cheers,
Alex

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
"but why listen to a half million-dollar rig when you can listen to a million-dollar rig?"

Heh, Heh! LOL!

caesar

May 30, 2010
Marty,
Great writing! It takes talent and time. Thank you for doing it.

As an interesting note: the woman guitar player you refer to, thought that the big Avantgarde system at the last year's show was the best system there - by far. Everything sounded as slow as molasses in comparison. Maybe it has changed now and she prefers Gryphon now, but I would be surprised. Nevertheless, it's interesting what musicians like...

As for me, I also liked the Avantgarde system for its dynamics and immediacy and MBL for its 3D and smoothness. Adjusting to box speakers after hearing horns wasn't easy.

I also heard the Magnepan 30.7 driven by Boulder at a dealer after-show party, and thought it bested anything and everything at the show. I am sure people who heard their favorite flavors disagree, as Magico fans who heard the M6 system in open space (I guess they couldn't get a room), in 95 db noise thought it sounded great. Go figure.

Cheers

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Did anyone hear the Sadurni Acoustics Staccato GT horns?
At $33k for a system that runs big lower mids/upper bass horns for 1/3 cost of AG Trios, and a proper worked out tapped horns solution for low bass, this might be the only spkr alternative that sways me from my Zus.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Thanks, guys!
We have been getting such great sound of the Bergmann here in the store that we felt we should show it at AXPONA, if only to make more people aware of it.

cheers,
Alex

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Hi Alex,
Any comments on the Macchina firmware upgrade for the Aqua Formula now it’s out in the open. I believe the official launch is Munich.
Cheers
Blue58

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Nothing, I believe they have just wrapped it up. I do know these guys never stop developing, and they have a cool device coming later this year too, perhaps to be announced in Munich as well. We'll see :)
I'm trying to work out a factory visit too, while I'm in Europe...

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Thanks Alex, enjoy Europe.

AudioAnalyst

Industry Expert
On Saturday night Greg Weaver spun some disks for VSA in the Ultra 11 room just after the Leif reset the VTA for probably at least the 5th time, not because there was something wrong with the arm or cartridge, but because someone kept changing it verified by pictures.

Russ, thanks for coming by. It is always great to see you, and I'm glad you had as much fun as seemingly everyone else in attendance.

However, VTA was changed at MY direction after playing one of my LPs to test... Bass was lean and had little impact, dynamics were compressed, and most notable, mids were harsh and edgy. The arm was too high at the pivot point. We dropped it -- over two lowerings -- until the bass impact and definition came back and the voices sounded corporal again!

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Nothing, I believe they have just wrapped it up. I do know these guys never stop developing, and they have a cool device coming later this year too, perhaps to be announced in Munich as well. We'll see :)
I'm trying to work out a factory visit too, while I'm in Europe...
I just sent my DAC sent to Italy and had it upgraded to xHD, now they roll out another upgrade!? ;-) Any idea if this requires shipping back to Italy?

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
I just sent my DAC sent to Italy and had it upgraded to xHD, now they roll out another upgrade!? ;-) Any idea if this requires shipping back to Italy?
I understand it’s a user replaceable board with new firmware so shouldn’t require a RTM.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

The Munich announcement I was talking about is the new, outboard device, the LinQ. It's basically their take on adding network capability to their DACs. I thought it was interesting, as it interfaces with the Aqua DACs via I2S.
I will ask about board changes/firmware...

cheers,
Alex

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing