Not too many Acoustic Signature owners here?

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia
Today I spent some hours with my Invictus jr MkII, as the ordered additional arm bases were waiting for their installation.

I decided to go for the 2 part assembly version of the tonearmbases, as for future changes it is more easy to get the update.

And as I learned during fitting, with the 2 parts it is much more easy to fit tonearms with central fitting nut in a proper way.

The 4 bases do change the appearance of the Invictus jr a lot, and to my taste for the better.

Even currently only using 2 tonearms, I will stick to 4 bases fitted, just because it looks better :)

attached I like to share some pictures of the beautiful handcrafted tone arm bases plus some pictures of the turntable completed

View attachment 118372 View attachment 118373 View attachment 118375 View attachment 118377 View attachment 118378 View attachment 118379 View attachment 118380 View attachment 118381
Splendid! I think you should stick exclusively to coloured vinyl.

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Hi shakti,

Congratulations, looks awesome!

Okay, so there was a choice to make you say…? Could you’ve decide to have choosen a one piece armboard instead, if you would have liked to?

This two piece armbase feels more logic though. If you like to change armboard between 9” - 12” arms, you just change the top plate now.. yes?!

Totally agree about the looks of the whole turntable - looks a lot more massive with all four armbases. I’m happy for you man.. very nice indeed;)!

/ Jk

theaudiogeek

Apr 4, 2018
Today I spent some hours with my Invictus jr MkII, as the ordered additional arm bases were waiting for their installation.

I decided to go for the 2 part assembly version of the tonearmbases, as for future changes it is more easy to get the update.

And as I learned during fitting, with the 2 parts it is much more easy to fit tonearms with central fitting nut in a proper way.

The 4 bases do change the appearance of the Invictus jr a lot, and to my taste for the better.

Even currently only using 2 tonearms, I will stick to 4 bases fitted, just because it looks better :)

attached I like to share some pictures of the beautiful handcrafted tone arm bases plus some pictures of the turntable completed

View attachment 118372 View attachment 118373 View attachment 118375 View attachment 118377 View attachment 118378 View attachment 118379 View attachment 118380 View attachment 118381
That table looks futuristic..I like it. :)

Reactions: Johan K

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Okay, so there was a choice to make you say…? Could you’ve decide to have choosen a one piece armboard instead, if you would have liked to?

This two piece armbase feels more logic though. If you like to change armboard between 9” - 12” arms, you just change the top plate now.. yes?!

/ Jk
AS offers both tonearmbases, but to my understanding recommends one or the other version, depending on the chosen tonearm.
For instance it is nearly impossible to fix the central lock nut for Ikeda or Glanz with the single part version.

I am going to order in the future more of the top plates, to accommodate more different tonearms,
this will work between 9 and 12" tonearms.

Reactions: Johan K

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
The difference is mostly in the details ;-)

Solid Steel screws are used in many turntables, which does not mean, that they sound good.
But they are cheap and easy available.

You can find many Solid Steel screws uses in the Acoustic Signature products :)

As close as possible to the tonearm and the cartridge are the 2 M5 55mm screws to mount the tonearmbase.

Additional I do not like the solid steel look in this position, adding another metal look.

So I changed the screws with Titan M5 55mm in gold.

To my eyes it looks better, so it might also sound better, at least I hear a difference.

IMG_2999.jpg

ationg

Aug 7, 2016
The difference is mostly in the details ;-)

Solid Steel screws are used in many turntables, which does not mean, that they sound good.
But they are cheap and easy available.

You can find many Solid Steel screws uses in the Acoustic Signature products :)

As close as possible to the tonearm and the cartridge are the 2 M5 55mm screws to mount the tonearmbase.

Additional I do not like the solid steel look in this position, adding another metal look.

So I changed the screws with Titan M5 55mm in gold.

To my eyes it looks better, so it might also sound better, at least I hear a difference.

View attachment 119015
Beautiful turntable! I believe there is a neo version. What is the difference with your MkII version?

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Beautiful turntable! I believe there is a neo version. What is the difference with your MkII version?
Neo has more integrated tonearm bases and not longer DC motors, Neo runs with AC motors.

I prefer the sculptural Design of the older Invictus jr tonarmbases.

But they were expensive to build, so I can understand the design change to Neo level

Reactions: Johan K and ationg

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
I'll say again, this is all the Acoustic Signature needs to work perfectly - a tonearm pod like the Kuzma XL's (that's in the back rear corner with the gauge on it.)

XL_AIR_FRONT_LR.jpg

No physical connection means no transmission of vibration (it doesn't go out through the feet to the surface), no motor rumble.

For that matter it would also solve what you hear with your TA-5000.

VPI was going to make one before they shut down for COVID and never revisited it:

117393101_10157243486005918_8563512982825812083_n.jpg

Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
I'll say again, this is all the Acoustic Signature needs to work perfectly - a tonearm pod like the Kuzma XL's (that's in the back rear corner with the gauge on it.)

View attachment 122999

No physical connection means no transmission of vibration (it doesn't go out through the feet to the surface), no motor rumble.

For that matter it would also solve what you hear with your TA-5000.

VPI was going to make one before they shut down for COVID and never revisited it:

View attachment 123000
That's one of the reasons (along with many others) I love about my Kuzma XL DC.
Any vibrations coming from the TT motor are completely isolated from the Platter.

Another love for my XL DC is the very accurate tonearm height adjustment with the Tonearm Tower and the digital height gauge fitted to the Tower was invaluable that allows me to accurately set up and dial in the dynamic VTA and SRA of my cartridge very accurately along with the other important setting up parameters for the Tonearm and cartridge.

For me the Kuzma XL DC is just a fantastic TT period !

Odd Harry

May 31, 2022

Cristian

Dec 26, 2019
That's one of the reasons (along with many others) I love about my Kuzma XL DC.
Any vibrations coming from the TT motor are completely isolated from the Platter.

Another love for my XL DC is the very accurate tonearm height adjustment with the Tonearm Tower and the digital height gauge fitted to the Tower was invaluable that allows me to accurately set up and dial in the dynamic VTA and SRA of my cartridge very accurately along with the other important setting up parameters for the Tonearm and cartridge.

For me the Kuzma XL DC is just a fantastic TT period !
Hello!

One question: how do you level the XL DC turntable?

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Reactions: BillK and Cristian

Cristian

Dec 26, 2019
The platform that my XL DC is mounted on is perfectly level !
Did you check the platter level too? I’m just curious.

And what platform do you own? In case I’ll upgrade to XL DC, I’m thinking about Kuzma Platis.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Did you check the platter level too? I’m just curious.

And what platform do you own? In case I’ll upgrade to XL DC, I’m thinking about Kuzma Platis.
Yes of course and the top of the Tonearm Tower and Motor Pod too.

I built my own high mass platform shelf and mounted it directly to two high mass load bearing brick walls with four very large heavy duty steel brackets. I used metal packing shims between the bottom surface of the platform shelf and the top of the wall brackets to get it and the TT perfectly level.
I calculated that the installed shelf assembly can hold well above the weight of my XL DC with two Tonearm Towers (which is approx. 100 ish kg).

Note that the Kuzma Platis is does not have adjustable feet for height adjustment !

Reactions: Cristian

Cristian

Dec 26, 2019
Yes of course and the top of the Tonearm Tower and Motor Pod too.

I built my own high mass platform shelf and mounted it directly to two high mass load bearing brick walls with four very large heavy duty steel brackets. I used metal packing shims between the bottom surface of the platform shelf and the top of the wall brackets to get it and the TT perfectly level.
I calculated that the installed shelf assembly can hold well above the weight of my XL DC with two Tonearm Towers (which is approx. 100 ish kg).

Note that the Kuzma Platis is does not have adjustable feet for height adjustment !
Kuzma says adjustable feet on their Platis page.

Sorry for spoiling the Acousting Signature thread!

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Kuzma says adjustable feet on their Platis page.

Sorry for spoiling the Acousting Signature thread!
I believe the 'adjustable feet' on the Kuzma Platis is for position adjustment not height / levelling adjustment (see the Alan Sircom hifi+ review, 2nd page, first paragraph, 6th & 7th line 'There is no levelling adjustment in these Dampers, although the cup has a rubber ring inserted to minimise slipping and this can be removed.' !

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
I believe the 'adjustable feet' on the Kuzma Platis is for position adjustment not height / levelling adjustment (see the Alan Sircom hifi+ review, 2nd page, first paragraph, 6th & 7th line 'There is no levelling adjustment in these Dampers, although the cup has a rubber ring inserted to minimise slipping and this can be removed.' !
Looks like Alan Sircom's review is not correct regarding his hif+ review on the Kuzma Platis as it states in Kuzma's brochure that the feet are adjustable for levelling (as well as positioning with the Platis platform); https://www.kuzma.si/media/uploads/files/BRICHURE PLATIS WEB.pdf (1st page, 4th paragraph - 'The PLATIS has leveling feet which allow precise horizontal leveling as well as acting as spikes which provide initial noise filtering and give stability to the platform').

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Apologies All for derailing this thread with discussing the Kuzma XL DC TT and the Kuzma Platis with 'Cristian' on the last few posts !

Reactions: BillK

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing