Not too many Acoustic Signature owners here?

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Several AS TT owners have successfully used Synergistc Research’s TT mat including myself. It did improve the sound
Thanx for the hint, but unfortunately Synergistic Research is currently without a distributor in Germany,
will find another source within the EU, but will take some time.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Hi Shakti,

How do you find your new turntable? Do you like it? How do you find the sound from Invictus jr alone? In compare with your other TT’s… where do you place this one? Many questions at once, but I’m very exited to hear your reaction.

/ Jk
The Invictus jr is just landed, so it will take some time to write my impressions.
First thing to do is to fit a better tonearm!, Sorane is fine, but is not my first choice for the Invictus jr.

The current placement on Artesania Exoteryc with CMS Base support is a compromise to start, finally the CMS base will be replaced with my Accurion i4L active base, still being in use to support my TechDAS AF3P.

The Accurion i4L needs an update in the factory to be modified for the specified load range to work with the Invictus jr.

But there is already a first impression, which is very good. The Invictus jr replaced a Basis Debut Gold (with Krell psu) on the same shelf and the Invictus jr gives a much higher level if detail and quietness into the music .

The performance of the Invictus jr, using Phasemation EA-1200 phono stage is already better, than TechDAS AF3P using Phasemation EA-2000 Phono stage (same cart, different arms)

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
The Invictus jr is just landed, so it will take some time to write my impressions.
First thing to do is to fit a better tonearm!, Sorane is fine, but is not my first choice for the Invictus jr.

The current placement on Artesania Exoteryc with CMS Base support is a compromise to start, finally the CMS base will be replaced with my Accurion i4L active base, still being in use to support my TechDAS AF3P.

The Accurion i4L needs an update in the factory to be modified for the specified load range to work with the Invictus jr.

But there is already a first impression, which is very good. The Invictus jr replaced a Basis Debut Gold (with Krell psu) on the same shelf and the Invictus jr gives a much higher level if detail and quietness into the music .

The performance of the Invictus jr, using Phasemation EA-1200 phono stage is already better, than TechDAS AF3P using Phasemation EA-2000 Phono stage (same cart, different arms)
Thank you for that quick respons. Very interesting so early into the project. I’m glad you already find the Invictus jr at this level of performance.. very cool indeed. When you have fixed everything with the right weight of the base, install your prefered tonearm and cartridge - I think you are in for a blast. I’m looking forward to follow your progression.

Once again, congratulations to one of the worlds coolest turntables ;).

/ Jk

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Yesterday evening I had the chance to listen to music with the OMA Graphite platter mat, against my so far favorite Audio Technica ceramic platter mat. Fortunately both are relatively thick (6mm), so I had not to readjust VTA.

The white AT Ceramic platter mat (very similar to the blue Kenwood Ceramic mat ) play threight forward with a lot of energy, but compared to my reference in tonal balance, my former TechDAS AF3P, the sound was sometime a little bit crisp and edgy.

Using the OMA graphite mat, the energy over the frequency band becomes better balanced.

As an example, listening to the Original Source Brahms record from Deutsche Grammophone, the piano on AT Ceramic mat has a strong dynamic, but the piano sounds not well integrated to the orchestra. Listening to the OMA mat integrates the tough played piano much better into the presentation.

So I will keep the OMA until the next better candidate will come up.
(also, because the OMA mat fits perfectly in diameter)

(I found a source for the synergistic mat, will take some days)

As platterweight I tried also several candidates, specially heavy ones, but the black light weight from HRS is so far my favorite)

IMG_2441.jpg IMG_2442.jpg IMG_2445.jpg IMG_2444.jpg

hogen

May 15, 2018
Oslo, Norway
Yesterday evening I had the chance to listen to music with the OMA Graphite platter mat, against my so far favorite Audio Technica ceramic platter mat. Fortunately both are relatively thick (6mm), so I had not to readjust VTA.

The white AT Ceramic platter mat (very similar to the blue Kenwood Ceramic mat ) play threight forward with a lot of energy, but compared to my reference in tonal balance, my former TechDAS AF3P, the sound was sometime a little bit crisp and edgy.

Using the OMA graphite mat, the energy over the frequency band becomes better balanced.

As an example, listening to the Original Source Brahms record from Deutsche Grammophone, the piano on AT Ceramic mat has a strong dynamic, but the piano sounds not well integrated to the orchestra. Listening to the OMA mat integrates the tough played piano much better into the presentation.

So I will keep the OMA until the next better candidate will come up.
(also, because the OMA mat fits perfectly in diameter)

(I found a source for the synergistic mat, will take some days)

As platterweight I tried also several candidates, specially heavy ones, but the black light weight from HRS is so far my favorite)

View attachment 116437 View attachment 116438 View attachment 116439 View attachment 116436
Very interesting. Did you compare with the standard Acoustic Signature mat also?

Reactions: Johan K

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Very interesting. Did you compare with the standard Acoustic Signature mat also?
Sure, I like the original leather mat, this is a well made compromise, reflecting the design of the turntable.

I have tried 3 different Harmonix mats (incl the heavy metal one), 2 mats from Oyaide, AT and Kenwood Ceramic, Ringmat, Zanden, Micro Seiki Copper and the brown thin leather, SAEC metal, and some more.

Waiting for Synergistic Research. As this company seem to own an AS Ascona turntable, they might have developed their mat exactly on the same platter design the Invictus or Invictus jr.

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Hey you all’

Small input: I have never changed my original carbon mat on my Ascona, just to try a different sound… hmm.. maybe I should, but I haven’t. The single biggest reason for that is I really like the look of it.. To me it’s darn pretty, and I really like the sound from it. Would it enhance the sound further at my place - I can’t tell at this point - but maybe I shoud try something out… Shakti, you may be my guide here, and I will follow your progress in the mat changing world.

However: to push the boundaries beyond the Plutonium platter with the integrated carbon mat might be a hard nut to crack, hehe?:D !

/ Jk
Glowing.jpeg

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
I have never changed my original carbon mat on my Ascona, just to try a different sound…
My Invictus jr came with a thick black leather mat (incl all the holes to show the brass cylinders). To my experience leather is always a good compromise, but not the last word for a platter mat.

A thin mat, like carbon, can be better. To my knowledge (from the web) the Synergistic Research mat is also Carbon based.

Ed.P

Mar 12, 2018
@shakti did you try the OMA mat without a weight? I prefer mine without. I'm interested in trying a graphite weight though.

Reactions: shakti

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
My Invictus jr came with a thick black leather mat (incl all the holes to show the brass cylinders). To my experience leather is always a good compromise, but not the last word for a platter mat.

A thin mat, like carbon, can be better. To my knowledge (from the web) the Synergistic Research mat is also Carbon based.
I agree, the Typhoon and the Montana I had here before, had that leather mat, but that was not something I did fancy. The Ascona came original with the carbon mat I currently using and I’am very satisfied with this one. I’m looking forward to see how you will find the Synergistic mat when you have used it for a while. Maybe it’s worth trying the Acoustic Signature original carbon mat as well. You might like it as much as I do.. just saying ;) !

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
@shakti did you try the OMA mat without a weight? I prefer mine without. I'm interested in trying a graphite weight though.
The OMA mat was indeed very sensible to weights, the most just kill the performance of the mat. For what ever reason the black HRS weight works in the direction I like.

A graphite weight is on my wishlist as well. I sold 3 years ago an Audio Tekne weight, would love to have it onside now.

Reactions: Ed.P and Johan K

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA

You might also want to consider the SPEC AP-UD1a mat as an additional option. This is the updated one that has the center recessed to accommodate the record label. It's diameter or circumference , if I remember correctly is also just slightly less than the original AP-UD1to allow you to remove the record while still spinning so that you do not lift the platter mat off along with the record.

Here is a link regarding the SPEC AP-UD1a that is made in Japan. https://spec-corp.jp/audio/AP-UD1a/index.html
Here is a link for one for sale https://audiotweaks.nl/product/spec-ap-ud1a/

Here is a link of Jeff Day commenting on the original SPEC AP-UD1. The AP-UD1a is the updated mat and is what you would want to have.
https://jeffsplace.positive-feedback.com/todays-fresh-catch-the-spec-ap-ud1-analog-disc-sheet/

I happen to have two of the AP-UD1a mats. I had ordered one, and simultaneously, my wife ordered me one as a present, not knowing I had already order it myself. I only have one turntable, so if anyone is interested in buying my second unused mat, let me know. I paid $350 ( it came to $372 with tax and shipping ). Make me a reasonable offer and it's yours :)

Best wishes,
Don

Last edited:

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
I am still waiting for Acoustic Signature to deliver my ordererd Tonearm Bases,
so time enough to play around on other areas of the turntable.

My last turntable with 4x DC Motor was the huge Sikora Reference.
I updated to a better LPSU and later on to better Oyaide / Gotham DC cables.

To my surprise the different DC cables were easy audible and the difference was bigger than expected.

The Acoustic Signature Invictus jr has 2 connection cables between the external PSU/MotorController and the turntable as such.

This 2 cables are very basic standard 2m CAT6 LAN cables and they do the job absolutely satisfying.

But I have a lot of LAN cables in a box, due to an extensive cable search for my digital chain.
Changing the LAN cables is easily and fast done and the sonic differences are audible as well.

Now I am using two of the 3m long red Wireworld Starlight 8 copper LAN cables.

There might be even better matching LAN cables out there, too many alternatives are existing.

If your Acoustic Signature turntable is using LAN cables as well, give better cables a try,
you might like the little performance upgrade as well :)

hogen

May 15, 2018
Oslo, Norway
I am still waiting for Acoustic Signature to deliver my ordererd Tonearm Bases,
so time enough to play around on other areas of the turntable.

My last turntable with 4x DC Motor was the huge Sikora Reference.
I updated to a better LPSU and later on to better Oyaide / Gotham DC cables.

To my surprise the different DC cables were easy audible and the difference was bigger than expected.

The Acoustic Signature Invictus jr has 2 connection cables between the external PSU/MotorController and the turntable as such.

This 2 cables are very basic standard 2m CAT6 LAN cables and they do the job absolutely satisfying.

But I have a lot of LAN cables in a box, due to an extensive cable search for my digital chain.
Changing the LAN cables is easily and fast done and the sonic differences are audible as well.

Now I am using two of the 3m long red Wireworld Starlight 8 copper LAN cables.

There might be even better matching LAN cables out there, too many alternatives are existing.

If your Acoustic Signature turntable is using LAN cables as well, give better cables a try,
you might like the little performance upgrade as well :)
That is very interesting news, I am going to try that also for sure. Thank you:)

Odd Harry

May 31, 2022
That is very interesting news, I am going to try that also for sure. Thank you:)
I am allso interested in this , keep us posted

OHS

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Today I spent some hours with my Invictus jr MkII, as the ordered additional arm bases were waiting for their installation.

I decided to go for the 2 part assembly version of the tonearmbases, as for future changes it is more easy to get the update.

And as I learned during fitting, with the 2 parts it is much more easy to fit tonearms with central fitting nut in a proper way.

The 4 bases do change the appearance of the Invictus jr a lot, and to my taste for the better.

Even currently only using 2 tonearms, I will stick to 4 bases fitted, just because it looks better :)

attached I like to share some pictures of the beautiful handcrafted tone arm bases plus some pictures of the turntable completed

IMG_2808.jpg IMG_2807.jpg IMG_2793.jpg IMG_2799.jpg IMG_2795.jpg IMG_2800.jpg IMG_2797.jpg IMG_2796.jpg

Odd Harry

May 31, 2022
Today I spent some hours with my Invictus jr MkII, as the ordered additional arm bases were waiting for their installation.

I decided to go for the 2 part assembly version of the tonearmbases, as for future changes it is more easy to get the update.

And as I learned during fitting, with the 2 parts it is much more easy to fit tonearms with central fitting nut in a proper way.

The 4 bases do change the appearance of the Invictus jr a lot, and to my taste for the better.

Even currently only using 2 tonearms, I will stick to 4 bases fitted, just because it looks better :)

attached I like to share some pictures of the beautiful handcrafted tone arm bases plus some pictures of the turntable completed

View attachment 118372 View attachment 118373 View attachment 118375 View attachment 118377 View attachment 118378 View attachment 118379 View attachment 118380 View attachment 118381

The Invictus jr MkII look's great

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing