NORTH AMERICAN PUBLIC DEBUT OF TECHDAS AIR FORCE ZERO AND WILSON AUDIO MASTER CHRONOSONIC/SUBSONIC

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
It’s tough to refute your argument Keith but having said that the fact that this pushes the envelope and is the crowning glory of one man’s desire to produce the best of his life’s work. One would expect sone trickle down technology showing up in future generations of TechDAS turntables

I also have no doubt in my mind that all of the Zeros will sell out very quickly.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
It’s tough to refute your argument Keith but having said that the fact that this pushes the envelope and is the crowning glory of one man’s desire to produce the best of his life’s work. One would expect sone trickle down technology showing up in future generations of TechDAS turntables

I also have no doubt in my mind that all of the Zeros will sell out very quickly.
Nishikawa San is the boss of Zephyrn and Stellavox in Japan.
He is very wealthy.
He doesn't really care about whether the 50 sets of AF Zero can learn money or not.
He doesn't need any N Am reviews to push the sale.
AF Zero is instead, as Steve has mentioned, representing the crown of Nishikawa San's life of work.
This is definitely NOT a "wasted opportunity".

Nishikawa San and his team visit Hong Kong very often and I talked with them several times.
They are humble and nice and possess every virtues of traditional Japan people.
I give Nishikawa San my highest respect.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
What I would love to know is how many who bought the Zero also own the Wilson Chronosonics and what electronics are they using

The WA Chronosonics demo in Hong Kong last year was mediocre.
I am sure this had adversely affected its sale in HK.

Steve Williams

me too

The times that I have talked with him, he is indeed a kind and gentle man who possesses decades of knowledge on TT design

TBH I really don't think that the only reason the Zero is making its way across the USA is not for reviewers' write ups but to showcase the TT in strategic parts of the USA where sales might originate

I also agree about the net worth of Nishikawa San from Stellavox and Zephyrn

To me he is showing the world the crowning touch of his life's achievement

FWIW when the Chronosonics launched the only place anyone could hear it was in Dave Wilson's living room

I was also told that every person who had an interest in the speaker and heard it at Dave's house all came away having purchased the speaker and I understand they were all sold. I expect the same from the Zero

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I personally agree with both Mike and Keith. They are saying quite different things, which are not in conflict, and I agree with both of them.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
There is only one thing that disappointed me, personally, about the all out, price no object, design assault on vinyl playback represented by the AF0. I have always loved both the design and the look of a turntable the feet of which sit on top of legs which visually and physically extend the turntable all the way to the floor on its own integrated stand. In other words with an integrated floor-standing stand designed for its own turntable, I like the way the feet of the turntable and the legs of the stand look like long continuous tubes, protruding from the bottom of the turntable and extending all the way to the floor. I find this a very elegant design which keeps the turntable and stand looking as of one piece. Examples of this include the Acoustic Signature Invictus and Ascona, the upper-end Transrotor tables, the Basis Audio Work of Art, the upper end Triangle Art turntables, and the Vyger.

For $400,000 I wish Nishijawa-san had designed a truly integrated and matching stand rather than adapting an Artesiana stand for this purpose. Because he is adapting an existing stand, the stand structure below the turntable looks quite complicated and “busy” and somewhat incongruous with the AF0 itself.

The large diameter stainless steel feet of the turntable should have matching legs extending down from right below them to achieve the continuous design look I am talking about. Instead, in the present design, there are thin, spindly little stainless steel stand legs that are right below the AF0 plinth. It doesn’t look right.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

For $400,000 I wish Nishijawa-san had designed a truly integrated and matching stand rather than adapting an Artesiana stand for this purpose. Because he is adapting an existing stand, the stand structure below the turntable looks quite complicated and somewhat incongruous with the AF0 itself.

Probably the biggest reason is Stellavox is the Artesania distributor in Japan

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I personally agree with both AMike and Keith. They are saying quite different things, which are not in conflict, and I agree with both of them.
Probably the biggest reason is Stellavox is the Artesania distributor in Japan

That may be true, but for a cost-no-object, design-no-object turntable I don’t think that should’ve been a factor at all.

Steve Williams

That may be true, but for a cost-no-object, design-no-object turntable I don’t think that should’ve been a factor at all.
I’m not disagreeing one bit. I agree with you. However it’s called economies of scale

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Nishikawa San is the boss of Zephyrn and Stellavox in Japan.
He is very wealthy.
He doesn't really care about whether the 50 sets of AF Zero can learn money or not.
He doesn't need any N Am reviews to push the sale.
AF Zero is instead, as Steve has mentioned, representing the crown of Nishikawa San's life of work.
This is definitely NOT a "wasted opportunity".

Nishikawa San and his team visit Hong Kong very often and I talked with them several times.
They are humble and nice and possess every virtues of traditional Japan people.

The same here. In the years I've gotten to know the man, never, never, did he utter a single word against his competitors. It has always been about his goals, ideas and values. Like Dave Wilson with the WAMM or Albert with the 111XS,, I am deeply happy that Nishikawa-san was able to realize his ultimate dream. I'm even more happy that there are people out there that appreciate the value of his life's work.

At some point in any hobby a few go past simple utility. I believe that for every hard working man, there should be a prize to work towards. At some point I believe we all need self administered pat on the back to motivate us to keep pushing forward. For those that see the value in this I laud you equally as anybody who's said, maybe I deserve to treat myself. Good on you guys, may you have a lifetime of enjoyment.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
There is only one thing that disappointed me, personally, about the all out, price no object, design assault on vinyl playback represented by the AF0. I have always loved both the design and the look of a turntable the feet of which sit on top of legs which visually and physically extend the turntable all the way to the floor on its own integrated stand. In other words with an integrated floor-standing stand designed for its own turntable, I like the way the feet of the turntable and the legs of the stand look like long continuous tubes, protruding from the bottom of the turntable and extending all the way to the floor. I find this a very elegant design which keeps the turntable and stand looking as of one piece. Examples of this include the Acoustic Signature Invictus and Ascona, the upper-end Transrotor tables, the Basis Audio Work of Art, the upper end Triangle Art turntables, and the Vyger.

For $400,000 I wish Nishijawa-san had designed a truly integrated and matching stand rather than adapting an Artesiana stand for this purpose. Because he is adapting an existing stand, the stand structure below the turntable looks quite complicated and “busy” and somewhat incongruous with the AF0 itself.

The large diameter stainless steel feet of the turntable should have matching legs extending down from right below them to achieve the continuous design look I am talking about. Instead, in the present design, there are thin, spindly little stainless steel stand legs that are right below the AF0 plinth. It doesn’t look right.

Agreed Ron. I had the exact same conversation with Marc on text about 5 hours ago.

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
I don't think being critical of design is really that big a deal. And when you charge $400,000 for it, should be a natural consideration especially with the forum's interest (and excitement) in the AS-2000 and other high priced TTs.

None of this belies any listening to the unit - but with only 50 of them being made, and 90% probably going to Asia - most of us will never even get the opportunity.

That's the entire point for me - its a wasted opportunity by a famous designer to advance the high end.
Hello KR,

I understand that there is still a Zero spot available...

AS2000, mine went to Dallas, there are a few more of the limited run here in the States; well Ron’s is still on-the-way. Asia, Tang and a friend picked up 1 and 2, and a chap in Taiwan picked up 2. Maybe there where more in Asia; however, I think that there was a limited run of 10, or so...
Agreed Ron. I had the exact same conversation with Marc on text about 5 hours ago.
...you three make me chuckle and giggle...

Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: XV-1

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I don't think being critical of design is really that big a deal. And when you charge $400,000 for it, should be a natural consideration especially with the forum's interest (and excitement) in the AS-2000 and other high priced TTs.

None of this belies any listening to the unit - but with only 50 of them being made, and 90% probably going to Asia - most of us will never even get the opportunity.

That's the entire point for me - its a wasted opportunity by a famous designer to advance the high end.

What is your point?

Anyone who can afford the entry point for the Zero would have either arranged a demo in Japan or wherever was suitable, or would have just bought one.

Then Mike L says maybe Jacob H might be getting one after his TAS observations. You said you could care less.

Are you in the market for this table?

Please explain how this is a wasted opportunity by a world famous designer?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Asia, Tang and a friend picked up 1 and 2,

Actually there are three AS2000 in Bangkok. Two of them will be standing next to the coming AF0. I expect the AF0 to have a grand exciting sound stage exceed that of AS2000. If the AFO does nuances as well or better than the AS 2000 then it would really be the ultimate tt.

Kind regards,
Tang

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
"Here in Australia, TechDas is distributed by Pure Music Group. Warwick Freemantle, of PMG, says that he's taking orders for the Air Force Zero now, with deliveries scheduled for September 2019. 'I am informed that only 40 turntables will be built,' he said, 'and that in addition to the tungsten platter option, you can also option in tungsten tonearm bases instead of the supplied titanium bases.' Due to its price and limited availabilty, Pure Music Group will be stocking the Air Force Zero as 'pre-order-only' item, but it does currently have in stock the TechDas AF-2, TechDas AF-3 Premium and TechDas AF-5."
_____

And (50 or less) ...
https://www.phileweb.com/sp/news/audio/201903/16/20685.html

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I also heard from TLi that although the original plan was 50, it had now been revised to "40+".

The reasons are difficult production and some of them/parts will be for self use or as backups.

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
Actually there are three AS2000 in Bangkok. Two of them will be standing next to the coming AF0. I expect the AF0 to have a grand exciting sound stage exceed that of AS2000. If the AFO does nuances as well or better than the AS 2000 then it would really be the ultimate tt.

Kind regards,
Tang
Hello Tang,

Thank you for the clarification of the Bangkok AS2000 totals along with your friend’s coming AFO to join his two AS2000s. I will wait patiently for your upcoming comments and thoughts after his AFO delivery...exciting times.

Kind Regards,
Alan

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing