Nice review Spectral SV setup

Hiempie

May 6, 2016
Nice review Spectral SV setup

The review is in Dutch so if you can't read is use translation option like google translate :)

Kind regards,
Hiempie

Reactions: kennyb123

ChasFreeland

Aug 16, 2019
Thanks for this. Have never heard the speakers. Rare to find Spectral reviews.
I am a Spectral system user.

ChasFreeland

Aug 16, 2019
Just noticed that you are using Spectral with Sonus Faber speakers. That interests me. How do you like it? Any comments or reviews?

Hiempie

May 6, 2016
Just noticed that you are using Spectral with Sonus Faber speakers. That interests me. How do you like it? Any comments or reviews?
Hi Chas,

I live in The Netherlands so English is not my native language :) , here in Holland we use a lot Sonus Faber speakers. I play about 15 years with a spectral system. In my opinion Mit cables don't work good. You can read it in my threads I made about Mit cables. I don't use them for about 6 years anymore. Bought cheaper speaker and interlink cables and that was a big upgrade so for me no Mit anymore. from 50k euro cables back to about 10k and much better sound :). In my opinion Spectral is fast and SF has a warm sound and I like that. It is a wonderful combination. So I recomend SF in combination with Spectral. It gives very good bas and thight bas without resonation when you choose the right cabeling. Recently I changed from PTC copper cabeling to fine pure silver cabeling that I recomend now. No review SF and Spectral. In the past dealers always sold combination Spectral Avalon but I don't like the sound an my wife doesn't like the looks but she likes SF :)
BR Ismaël

ChasFreeland

Aug 16, 2019
Thanks for your response. I use MIT cables with an all-Spectral system. Seems to work but I've not compared them to any other cables. My audio dealer is a Spectral agent and he rather insisted on MIT. I was interested in Spectral 400 mono blocks with the Sonus Aidia II.

Hiempie

May 6, 2016
That is an interesting combination Chas. Next week my two audio friends and I have a appointment at https://audioexpertcastle.com/rooms/ this is a expierence center financed by SF group (must have a specific name) we are going to listen to the Aida II and Lilium maybee some more :) because one off them is also interested in buying SF Aida II. So next saturday I know more.

The bigest Spectral dealer here in Holland doesn't insist on combining MIT and Spectral, https://www.audioxperience.com/proj...ral-dma-300sv-dcs-rossini-en-vivid-giya-g4-s2 . I know the old story with several older Spectral amps was you need to use MIT but with the newer Spectral products it is not necessery anymore.

ChasFreeland

Aug 16, 2019
Those are beautiful rooms at Audio Expert Castle you are going to visit. Looks like they have the Aida II paired with ?? MacIntosh?? Have you heard whether or not Spectral will be releasing a new 400 monoblock? I have the SV preamp and the 400 monoblock reference amps. I'll be eager to read your report about the listening experience you had. Ever hear Pass Labs mono blocks, their 300 XS amps with Sonus? I ask because my Sonus dealer here in Bangkok has Pass Labs and MacIntosh. MacIntosh and Sonus are part of the same big company as I understand it.

Gene 15352

Feb 18, 2013
Canada
That is an interesting combination Chas. Next week my two audio friends and I have a appointment at https://audioexpertcastle.com/rooms/ this is a expierence center financed by SF group (must have a specific name) we are going to listen to the Aida II and Lilium maybee some more :) because one off them is also interested in buying SF Aida II. So next saturday I know more.

The bigest Spectral dealer here in Holland doesn't insist on combining MIT and Spectral, https://www.audioxperience.com/proj...ral-dma-300sv-dcs-rossini-en-vivid-giya-g4-s2 . I know the old story with several older Spectral amps was you need to use MIT but with the newer Spectral products it is not necessery anymore.
Glad you're enjoying your Spectral gear! I think your dealer in Holland is doing a great disservice in recommending cables other than MIT. I wish they're were other choices when it comes to cabling but this is what it is. Back in the 1990's I had a Spectral 150 amp in which I hooked it up to a non Spectral preamp and non MIT cables for a few sessions. A few days later the amp went into oscillation, and went back to Spectral for service. A Spectral dealer also told me that using a non Spectral preamp and non MIT cables may not oscillate the amp right away, but it will slowly start to do damage to the internal circuitry over time. The new Spectral speaker cable is worth trying as I couldn't believe the beautiful texture and correct tone it provided to the musical presentation.

Hiempie

May 6, 2016
Glad you're enjoying your Spectral gear! I think your dealer in Holland is doing a great disservice in recommending cables other than MIT. I wish they're were other choices when it comes to cabling but this is what it is. Back in the 1990's I had a Spectral 150 amp in which I hooked it up to a non Spectral preamp and non MIT cables for a few sessions. A few days later the amp went into oscillation, and went back to Spectral for service. A Spectral dealer also told me that using a non Spectral preamp and non MIT cables may not oscillate the amp right away, but it will slowly start to do damage to the internal circuitry over time. The new Spectral speaker cable is worth trying as I couldn't believe the beautiful texture and correct tone it provided to the musical presentation.
Hello Gene,
Thank you for your message and your warning about not using MIT cables. To be honest, I no longer believe those stories from dealers, I have not used MIT cables for 6 years and I am very happy about that because there are much better cables for sale for a fraction of the MIT prices. In the past I owned for a fortune MIT Oracle cables, just read my message:

I have now switched from PTC copper cables to pure silver and this makes everything sound much nicer in my system and no occilation or the like. my set sounds so nice, a huge improvement. Fortunately, I don't notice any damage to amplifiers.

Kind regards, Ismaël

Reactions: dan31

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
I have now switched from PTC copper cables to pure silver and this makes everything sound much nicer in my system and no occilation or the like.
Your amp would run hotter if oscillations were occurring. This would shorten the life of the amp. But I am not sure if this is still a risk with newer models.

Spectral does a disservice to their customers with the MIT requirement. I wish they'd partner with a company that cared more about value for the dollar. It has seemed to me that MIT is now primarily interested in catering to the ultra-wealthy. Tough to blame given the prices they've been able to fetch. Why care about the hassle of delighting the little people when there are some willing to shell out as much as $125,000 for a pair of speaker cables.

Reactions: Hiempie

Gene 15352

Feb 18, 2013
Canada
Your amp would run hotter if oscillations were occurring. This would shorten the life of the amp. But I am not sure if this is still a risk with newer models.

Spectral does a disservice to their customers with the MIT requirement. I wish they'd partner with a company that cared more about value for the dollar. It has seemed to me that MIT is now primarily interested in catering to the ultra-wealthy. Tough to blame given the prices they've been able to fetch. Why care about the hassle of delighting the little people when there are some willing to shell out as much as $125,000 for a pair of speaker cables.
I agree with you Kenny. I too wished Spectral would partner with companies that cared about value for the dollar. I think they're other companies like FM Acoustics that design their amps with extreme bandwidth and use their own designed cables to handle their amps.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I find it hard to believe a spectral amp would oscillate if using a spectral preamp and competent cables. Their preamps monitor this and would shut down if it was upstream or in the preamp. A well shielded cable, especially balanced xlr should be totally safe to connect the preamp and amp.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
I find it hard to believe a spectral amp would oscillate if using a spectral preamp and competent cables. Their preamps monitor this and would shut down if it was upstream or in the preamp
It happens downstream of the preamp.

The following comes from a scan of my amp’s manual. As such, I’ve only used MIT cables on the list approved by Spectral.

1702178883585.png
1702178958911.png

Reactions: Gene 15352

Hiempie

May 6, 2016

Hi Kenny,

My first Spectral amp was a DMA150s2 about 15 years ago. At that time I used a Krell preamp and even didn't heard about Mit so I used my Siltech LS cable :) but lucky me nothing happend. about a year later I bought my first Spectral preamp DMC 30 SL then I heard about Mit and stories about ossilating amps. So I bought newer Spectral Amps and Mit cabling the oracle line MA-X and MA-X2 interlinks Oracle Matrix 120 SHD LS you could buy a brand new Mercedes for the mony. But later I did blind tests with very cheap cables and we did'nt hear difference. Long story short I sold all MIT and don't want them again. In my opinion MIT has good marketing but there are cheaper and better cables for sale. The dealers in Holland say you don't need MIT anymore.

Here in Europe prices are over the top sky high you need to be a milionaire for buying new audio stuff.
A new DMA 300 SV costs 42.900 euro a new DMC 30 SV2 36.900 Mit oracle line SHD120 v2 starting at 42.500 euro. It is for the happy few.

Reactions: Gene 15352

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
My first Spectral amp was a DMA150s2 about 15 years ago. At that time I used a Krell preamp and even didn't heard about Mit so I used my Siltech LS cable :) but lucky me nothing happend
That’s good to hear. I purchased my DMA150s2 over 20 years ago and it has continued to serve me well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing