Next up: What is room pressurization?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Actually, I think it was Bruce who said he could hear it before the needle hit the groove. I never have. Tim

No... I said before the music starts playing while the needle is in the groove and between tracks.

A room is pressurized before the music even starts (or between tracks) on an LP. You don't need music to pressurize a room.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
No Tim, actually it was Bob (me) who said that he can feel that pressurization before the needle hits the album's grooves. :b
{Bruce said that it was when the needdle was already in the grooves at the beginning and between the tracks, without having real music content.}

* And that has to do with the cartridge (arm pickup) registering my own room's ambiance with all there is mechanical and not.

P.S. Oops, I just read Bruce's above post. Which confirms what I just said. :b

Last edited:

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
No... I said before the music starts playing while the needle is in the groove and between tracks.

Sorry, Bruce, my bad. Doesn't sound like something you'd say. I hear what you hear.

Tim

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yeah, but you're talking about actual math, Frantz. I'm referring to the romantic notion that digital, regardless of its resolution rate, is a mere sample of analog, that analog has infinite resolution. There is a lot of denial in that romance, for sure, but I'm trying to be a kinder, gentler Tim here. Cut me some slack.

Tim

I don't think even the most analog diehard will be crazy enough to say Analog has infinite resolution although I'm sure you're just being witty :) Analog's quantization can be calculated. It's been done for film and video as well as photography and digital photography. As in film vs 1080p what you will notice in capture are more gradations. Strangely enough, when film is transferred to 1080p via telecine, the gradations remain largely intact better than DVD anyway. Depending on the ASA these can be sharp or grainy. Same goes for tape and +dB ratings. I'm just theorizing at this point but I can imagine how the added cumulative gradations can really make the presentation denser which to me is synonymous with making images more solid which requires more excitation in whatever area of space an image takes up as a result of L and R summing at that position. Now will you be able to measure this? I believe so but not from the usual 1m at 2.83v.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I'm sure you're just being witty

Not at all, I've seen it written in quite a few audiophile posts. By people who are devoid of humor on the subject of analog vs. digital. :)

Tim

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
"Simple" could also mean complex in a certain way.

Eg.; You are at church on a Sunday morning, simply praying;
then all of a sudden you are hearing the angels sing all around you,
and a bright light blue light comes down from the sky and through the church's roof!
You quickly run outside for cover, but you just cannot outrun your destiny! :b

* Simple, but not so simple ...

... Talk 'bout 'pressurization'! :b

Last edited:

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Hey Tim, sorry for this small & quick interruption, but how do you feel so far to be a simple member,
without the moderator's responsabilities?

It's good. How's that for simple? :)

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing