New VPI Table

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
they look like the aluminium thumb screws from soundsmith. they make them in brass if you need more mass at the head shell.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Thanks Myles. I forgot to ask you if the speed is adjustable. A friend of mine tested his very expensive modern DD table with the TimeLine and the speed was off and there was no way to adjust it, so I'm just curious about this design. Will you check the speed with your digistrobo and report the results in the process of reviewing the table?

I'm confused by why Harry would mention a CD or the reference to a belt driven table. I just wonder if an end user has tested the speed of this direct drive table as it is surely one of the strengths of such a design.

I did try it with the digistrobo and it was rock solid at 33-1/3 rpm.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
they look like the aluminium thumb screws from soundsmith. they make them in brass if you need more mass at the head shell.

Yes they are the Soundsmith EZ mount screws. As Rob indicated, they come in different masses, in fact four, for different cartridges. Obviously you can swap new for old by replacing one screw at a time; of course will have to reset VTF.

Nylon: 0.52 g. each or 1.04 g total
Aluminum: 1.03 g. each or 2.06 g total
Brass: 3.07 g. each or 6.14 g total
Stainless steel: 3.16 g. each or 6.32 g each

They also come with nylon washers that I didn't use. Incidentally, they're easier to use when aligning the cartridge.

I think a set runs $50 (?).

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Thanks Myles/puri

I see you get all 8 screws + rest for $40

The brass / stainless steel would be good for adding mass for cartridges like the Denon 103.

Tried them with the Atlas yet Myles?

Another tweek that I certainly do not need, however I think I want a set to play with :rolleyes:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Thanks Myles/puri

I see you get all 8 screws + rest for $40

The brass / stainless steel would be good for adding mass for cartridges like the Denon 103.

Tried them with the Atlas yet Myles?

Another tweek that I certainly do not need, however I think I want a set to play with :rolleyes:

Besides the mass component, I think the headshell gripping/contact area aspect could definitely improve the energy transfer and sound.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Discussion on Audiogon sparked by a comment posted by Mark Doehmann of Continuum on the Michael Fremer's blog, it appears the Classic Direct sources the motor from the same company that supplies the one used in the Caliburn. ThinGap.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Discussion on Audiogon sparked by a comment posted by Mark Doehmann of Continuum on the Michael Fremer's blog, it appears the Classic Direct sources the motor from the same company that supplies the one used in the Caliburn. ThinGap.

Hard to have discussion on audiogon about VPI. They all seem to take delight in bashing VPI. Funny thing. If VPI's tables were so bad, how have they managed to stay in business for 30+ years?

Mark's comments were very interesting and very complimentary I thought. Like you said, it seems they source their motor from the same company but didn't say that VPI and Continuum tables used the same motor. And hell, that's no slight. How many table manufacturers use Pabst motors?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hard to have discussion on audiogon about VPI. They all seem to take delight in bashing VPI. Funny thing. If VPI's tables were so bad, how have they managed to stay in business for 30+ years?

Mark's comments were very interesting and very complimentary I thought. Like you said, it seems they source their motor from the same company but didn't say that VPI and Continuum tables used the same motor. And hell, that's no slight. How many table manufacturers use Pabst motors?

Myles,

There is a wide difference between sourcing a general purpose excellent zero cogging torque motor coil without bearing and building a turntable using it. I hope that soon we will be able to read your listening impressions on this new VPI promising design.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I'm glad VPI decided to do a DD TT. I wish more manufactures would do so. Just wish it was not so expensive to do it well.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I'm glad VPI decided to do a DD TT. I wish more manufactures would do so. Just wish it was not so expensive to do it well.

In the meantime Sean, I hope you are as happy with your SP-10 MKII as I am with mine.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
<snip>How many table manufacturers use Pabst motors?

Only one, I think. I use one, but it is a no longer produced motor originally used to turn large video tape reels. I was able to acquire a large stock of them, and they require modification for use in a turntable. Then, there is the added task of supplying power to the three-phase beast. There are no suitable Papst motors currently made that I am aware of, and the one I use is extremely expensive to properly implement. It is worth the effort because of several factors, but this isn't the thread for that. It's VPI's thread, but I mention it in passing.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles, I'd love to read an update. How is the new VPI DD sounding now that you've had it for a while?

Hi Peter!

Don't want to scoop the review but let's put it this way. Would love to go back and re-review 20 years worth of products. :) It's also interesting how things go back and forth in the system. First you had something like the Goldmund that allowed you as HP put it, to hear more of the cartridge's flaws. Then we reached a point where the phono section was the weak point in the analog playback chain. Then lately, the neutrality--not to mention the noise floor--of phono sections have improved to the point where the warts of the turntable were again becoming more apparent. This table's neutrality once again shifts the balance back to the phono section. In fact, I've never heard such big differences between phono sections before.

There's no secret as to the impact of the front-end to the sound of the system. At least for some of us. In fact, this room acoustics vs. front-end argument is much like that old Miller beer commercial: taste great vs less filling. In other words, you don't know what you have until both are optimized.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Soooo...what you're saying is, is that you like it! I wish we could see pics of the 'table's guts i'm interested in the drive system and platter underside.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Soooo...what you're saying is, is thhiat you like it! I wish we could see pics of the 'table's guts i'm interested in the drive system and platter underside.

There's really nothing to see as it's sealed.

Suteetat

Sep 3, 2013
Bangkok
Myles, do you know the actual weight of VPI DD? I can't find information anywhere and my local dealer asked VPI a few times but no answer on the weight so far.
Looking forward to read your review!

Suteetat

Sep 3, 2013
Bangkok
Well, I finally get to hear VPI DD in my system and I am very impressed. Matt from VPI mentioned that it is supposed to be 5% better than Classic 4. I have a Classic 3 in my system and if it is a 5% improvement, it is a huge 5%. The background is blacker than table that I ever heard or own (granted none in my system is this expensive, heard a few other more expensive tables elsewhere though). It is not neccessarily more quiet than CD player but the sound seems to emerge from blacker background somehow!
The bass is highly detailed, excellent pitch and definition while remains very musical. May be Graham 12 inch arm on my TW Raven AC with upgrade BN platter, BN motors is competitive in the bass but I could never get the midrange to my liking and I feel the Graham was too analytical for my taste (I tried VPI DD and TW/Graham both with Air Tight PC-1 supreme). TW with Reed/Lyra Atlas could compete with VPI DD in the rich, smooth midrange but can't touch VPI in the bass area.
For those that are addicted to Timeline, I am happy to report that VPI passed the test with no problem at all.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Well, I finally get to hear VPI DD in my system and I am very impressed. Matt from VPI mentioned that it is supposed to be 5% better than Classic 4. I have a Classic 3 in my system and if it is a 5% improvement, it is a huge 5%. The background is blacker than table that I ever heard or own (granted none in my system is this expensive, heard a few other more expensive tables elsewhere though). It is not neccessarily more quiet than CD player but the sound seems to emerge from blacker background somehow!
The bass is highly detailed, excellent pitch and definition while remains very musical. May be Graham 12 inch arm on my TW Raven AC with upgrade BN platter, BN motors is competitive in the bass but I could never get the midrange to my liking and I feel the Graham was too analytical for my taste (I tried VPI DD and TW/Graham both with Air Tight PC-1 supreme). TW with Reed/Lyra Atlas could compete with VPI DD in the rich, smooth midrange but can't touch VPI in the bass area.
For those that are addicted to Timeline, I am happy to report that VPI passed the test with no problem at all.

Thanks for the report, Suteetat. Did you ever try the VPI 3D arm on the TW table or the Reed arm on the VPI DD table to isolate what the table itself is doing?

Also, how would you describe the difference between the Atlas and the Supreme? Given the many possible combinations with two arms, two tables and two cartridges, do you have one favorite combination? Thanks.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing