New security features on AudiogoN

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
It seems AudiogoN has learned their lessons and implemented new security features. I got the following email from AudiogoN today (I'm in Dubai on Holiday):

Your account has been locked because: You logged in from United Arab Emirates and normally login from Poland.

If you are traveling and logged in from this area intentionally, simply click the 'Unlock my Account' link below to unlock your account and we will disable this security feature for the next two weeks.

That sould greately limit the usablity of hacked accounts, and as a result - make them useless.

It seems AudiogoN has learned their lessons and implemented new security features. I got the following email from AudiogoN today (I'm in Dubai on Holiday):

Your account has been locked because: You logged in from United Arab Emirates and normally login from Poland.

If you are traveling and logged in from this area intentionally, simply click the 'Unlock my Account' link below to unlock your account and we will disable this security feature for the next two weeks.

That sould greately limit the usablity of hacked accounts, and as a result - make them useless.

They have had this feature for a while. I had the same message logging in from Florida using my iPad on a hotel wifi network.

I first got one of these messages at the end of last year and assumed it was a glitch in Audiogon's system. I changed my password as a precaution. About 3 weeks later I got it again and started to get concerned.

As it turns out when I'm logged into avon from my home or office network they correctly geolocate my IP address to Tucson, AZ. If I happen to check a listing or do a search from my iPhone when not connected to wifi (over AT&T's LTE network) they geolocate my IP address to CA and my account gets locked. Once I figured this out (agon has a page that can show you all of the login activity to your account with IP address) I've come to expect the message about once every 2 weeks.

Keep in mind that when you unlock your account they will assume you are traveling and not monitor login location for a period of 14 days.

I first got one of these messages at the end of last year and assumed it was a glitch in Audiogon's system. I changed my password as a precaution. About 3 weeks later I got it again and started to get concerned.

As it turns out when I'm logged into avon from my home or office network they correctly geolocate my IP address to Tucson, AZ. If I happen to check a listing or do a search from my iPhone when not connected to wifi (over AT&T's LTE network) they geolocate my IP address to CA and my account gets locked. Once I figured this out (agon has a page that can show you all of the login activity to your account with IP address) I've come to expect the message about once every 2 weeks.

Keep in mind that when you unlock your account they will assume you are traveling and not monitor login location for a period of 14 days.

I recently tried to get in from my iPhone from the area I live in and got locked out as well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing