New Lexicon Processor

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
could Kal or Amir compare the new Lexicon to the Harmon Processor which has more DSP than the Lexicon
Funny you should ask as the reason this thread exists is because I was chasing that answer! Alas, the only thing I have permission to disclose is what I said at the start of this thread: namely, the Lexicon will run at a higher resolution than JBL Synthesis (assume that is what you mean by "Harman"). Once the device is released, I will be able to provide more specifics.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I have the Lexicon MC12HD B and am thinking of upgrading. I have owned 4 Lexicon processors over the years and I recall one time that Lexicon had an upgrade program where they took your old unit in as trade. I am sure this is pipe dreaming but any word on this as a possibility.
Not a pipe dream! Confirmed today that there will be an upgrade program. Details are TBD as much as how much credit you get. But news is good!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Not a pipe dream! Confirmed today that there will be an upgrade program. Details are TBD as much as how much credit you get. But news is good!

now I am definitely in...great news indeed.

ted_b

Feb 4, 2011
Great news indeed on the trade-in program. It was always the allure of the Lex processors (aside from their technology), to be able to start at the DC-1 and move up to the MC-8 (my story) with probably 3-4 processors in the meantime, and not a lot of addtl cash to get there. I went away from Lex at that point, but this new box may bring me back. :)

Filecat13

Apr 25, 2011
Hmm. I have that JBL Synthesis® gear in my rack. So one piece of equipment will replace all three? While replacing three with one is nice, it's not worth the price, unless there's something really big going on inside. Sean?

Last edited:

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
My son uses my DC-1 as a DAC for his PC! What an attractive well designed box it was.

I still use the plain vanilla DC-1($180 delivered) as a DAC at our Santa Cruz place, with optical input from Mac Mini. I don't see any reason to upgrade, great sound quality, and I was surprised when it decoded a 48 Khz/24bit signal from the Mac Mini without batting an eyelash. I thought those units only did 20 bits. I have contemplated using it with a Meridian 518 since the bit rate decodes higher than 16/20.
Also, with a Ratshack adapter, it is an outstanding headphone DAC. On the cheapskate side, you don't need to spend a lot to get good sound, but you probably do have to spend a lot to stay in fashion.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hmm. I have that JBL Synthesis® gear in my rack. So one piece of equipment will replace all three? While replacing three with one is nice, it's not worth the price, unless there's something really big going on inside. Sean?
The combo will be cheaper than the three parts. And, the audio will stay in digital domain. With current synthesis system, you go through an A/D and D/A stage (not an issue for movies but for music, would be good to eliminate).

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Nothing new other than it will be there and will be based on the old (higher) pricing of the processor. Details of that would be sorted out once the MSRP is confirmed and device is about to ship.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing