New iPhone 11 announced

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I watched Tim Cook's Key Note yesterday and I must admit that I like the changes for the new iPad but I really liked what is happening with the iPhone. I have owned the iPhone X for the past 2 years and really liked all of the new features shown yesterday

The price of the phones is either less than previous for the standard iPhone 11 whereas they are retaining the iPhone 8 and the iPhone X at greatly reduced prices. Apple also has a great trade in program to reduce the price of the new phone

The new camera on the iPhone 11 Pro is simply amazing and it makes me wonder why anyone would spend big bucks on a camera when the iPhone 11 Pro has 3 cameras all with amazing features. The iPhone 11 has 2 cameras. But for me the clincher and the route I am going is a new iPhone 11 Pro Max as I want a slightly larger screen

https://www.apple.com/in/newsroom/2...x-the-most-powerful-and-advanced-smartphones/

I was also impressed with the new Apple Watch series 5 with much longer battery life and the watch face now always on and visible. I still wear my series one daily

https://www.apple.com/in/apple-watch-series-5/

Nothing was announced about a new Mac Book Pro but I was impressed with the new iPads and will be buying one to use with streaming music

https://www.apple.com/in/ipad/

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Really impressive stuff, including an OLED screen I want. I may wait for 5G though. But really great technology

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I'm trying to decide bewteen 11Pro Max and XS Max, the latter and older phone being more expensive currently. Is it better build quality than the 11Pro and that is the reason it is cheaper or did apple give up margin ?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I want one too, Steve :)
The 11 Pro Max is not cheaper than the XS Max. Exactly the same prices.
And Apple insists on the stupid 64Gb entry-level model. Maybe so they can claim it's "$1099", while the first useful phone at that model is really $1250.

Steve Williams

Oh no Steve! That’s a Bose kind of comment!:eek: Mobile phones can not hold a candle to the better cameras. Not even close. :p
In theory I agree Howie but the 3 cameras have amazing processing abilities.

Reactions: howiebrou

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
In theory I agree Howie but the 3 cameras have amazing processing abilities.
Go grab a Leica Q and you’ll be amazed at the difference when viewed on anything more than a phone. But I agree the mobile cameras are pretty neat now. My Huawei can take years off my appearance!

Steve Williams

I totally agree. Having said that though the convenience of the smart phone with it’s excellent photos make traveling with a camera obsolete.
Now if I want to play photographer and set the scene of course the Leica is the winner. But in all honesty I haven’t travelled with my camera now in over 2 years

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
I have to admit the Keynote was underwhelming, nothing to write home about well may be only the watch. Just incremental updates on the phones. They say the A13 is quicker than anything else but no figures given just some silly blue lines, which means nothing to me. The camera on any phone is only good for snaps, I am an SLR guy and any serious work needs a serious camera no phone camera is going to come anywhere close.

Reactions: jackelsson

Steve Williams

I have to admit the Keynote was underwhelming, nothing to write home about well may be only the watch. Just incremental updates on the phones. They say the A13 is quicker than anything else but no figures given just some silly blue lines, which means nothing to me. The camera on any phone is only good for snaps, I am an SLR guy and any serious work needs a serious camera no phone camera is going to come anywhere close.

I can't disagree. I am a SLR and medium format guy too but in all honesty the pictures with the iPhone 11 Pro are truly exceptional

Out of curiosity what were you expecting that would have overwhelmed you?

My only disappointment was no news on a new MBP but I thought the iPad upgrades were terrific. Finally the fact that prices are the same or lower than previous years and there is a healthy buy back on users' existing iPhones

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Dropping the XR name if favor of just iPhone 11 was a brilliant move. You don't have to feel you are getting a sub par iPhone anymore.
I'm getting the 11Pro for my doughter to replace her iPhone 8. I'm gonna keep my iPhone XS till a completely new iPhone debuts in 2020.

Steve Williams

and I also read this...

2020www.macrumors.com

Apple may introduce three OLED phones in 2020: a smaller 5.4-inch model that would replace the current 5.8-inch model, the same 6.1-inch option as the XR and a larger 6.7-inch Max version, according to MacRumors and Ming-Chi Kuo. Apple might launch a low-cost iPhone SE successor in spring 2020.

nothing suggests a radical new phone
To me the iPhone X is the newest up grade and has only been around for 2 yearsu

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I've read it somwhere. Next year the iPhone X design will be 3 years old already. That is a lot. They have kept the original iPhone 6 design for 4 years, and when the iPhone 8 came out the design was already very dated.

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
Out of curiosity what were you expecting that would have overwhelmed you?

To be honest Steve Williams I was not expecting anything major as they have just run out of any revolutionary ideas lately. I just see Apple as trying to extract as much money from their client base these days, without giving much back in return.

Not just you but others too are excited that a phone at 699 is seen as a bargain. Apples prices have gone up since the market is saturated, most people that want one have one hence decline in sales numbers. They never post sales figures anymore, they are still making good money because the prices are even higher than before.

I am more of a computer person as I still have the older MacBook Pro and Mac Pro’s, their phones never really did it for me. The latest Mac Pro looks interesting though.

Steve Williams

I must admit that I agree with you. I am all Mac. When Steve Jobs died there was a blueprint in place with a 5 year plan for the future. Sadly Tim Cook is not the visionary that Steve Jobs was. So I can’t dispute what you say. Having said that, for me a smart phone is essential to what I do in day to day activities. I do have a MBP which I use first thing in the morning and last thing at night. In between my connection to the world is through my smartphone which IMO are only getting better

I can understand your stance as a computer person For me however I feel it is a small price to pay especially if you trade up every 1-2 years. As stated before I use SLR and medium format camera but I can tell you that when I travel my iPhone is it. We spent 18 days in NZ My pictures are posted here all with my iPhone.

Finally whether sales are down they are making money. I’ve owned Apple stock for easily 25 years and have gone through the 7 for 1 stock split and have been smiling a whole lot. Today the stock was up $6.89 per share this being one day after the Keynote.

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
I have to admit I don’t change my phone often, if it still works and do what I need that is good for me.

I don’t like being told what I can do with my phone, with Apple it’s either their way or the highway and with Google they like to know too much hence no ios or Android for me. I still use my 3+ year old Microsoft Lumia 950, it works and yes I know Microsoft have given up since they messed up so much. They had a product with potential but completely messed it up:(, oh well it still works for me.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I still remember when they moved from 6 to 6+, many women came calling to me. I have stayed at 7+ since.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing