New Garrard Build

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I have several other head shells by Audiotecnica, Yamamoto (wood and carbon fiber) and I own an Arche headhsell. All different sounding, although I really can’t really say one sounds better than the other.
Best headshell for the SME tonearms was and still is the SME headshell. You’ll know it if you mounted the same cartridge in the SME headshell and then compared it back to back with of the other ones. Of course proper setup and specially accurate VTA is key to this comparison.
I do love the installation, the precise work, also the tonearms. But please do me a favor. Those SME headshells need a better substitution for really good sound!

best
E.

www.AudioCirc.com
Why? I find the unmodified SME headshells better than anything else I tried over the years in the SME tonearms. The SME 30xx is a complete system designed ground up including its phono cable and headshell, obviously you can change things substituting other components but all you get is a change and always worse IME.

david

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
I have added the Long Dog Audio Quartz Turntable Power Supply to my Garrard build and I have to say I'm very pleased. Using the RPM app on my iPhone (also highly recommended) my speed would vary between 32.5 and 33.9 while the platter was spinning. With the LDA engaged the platter is spinning EXACTLY at 33.3, its rock solid.

With the improved speed control the table sounds even better and more alive. I had several people over for father's day that are music lovers and they absolutely flipped over the sound of my system. They've heard it with the Ascona for many years and all said it sounded much closer to live music than ever before.

The LDA is highly recommended for anyone with an idler turntable.

View attachment 79447

I bought one of these for my Commonwealth and really like it. I have been using another company's PS on my Garrard's, but haven't swapped in the LDA for some reason to compare.... For my milage, adding a good PS was one of the best additions I ever made to any of my idlers - that's including some serious re-plinthing, custom platter and bearings, and other crazy mods.

For what it's worth, I feel that my Garrard's tend to sound better with all of the eddy brake apparatus removed. I adjust speed by varying the current through the PS. I use the European 50hz pulley and adjust for USA voltage.

Reactions: jeff1225

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Best headshell for the SME tonearms was and still is the SME headshell. You’ll know it if you mounted the same cartridge in the SME headshell and then compared it back to back with of the other ones. Of course proper setup and specially accurate VTA is key to this comparison.

Why? I find the unmodified SME headshells better than anything else I tried over the years in the SME tonearms. The SME 30xx is a complete system designed ground up including its phono cable and headshell, obviously you can change things substituting other components but all you get is a change and always worse IME.

david
I prefer the SME headshell. I only use the Yamamoto headshell for my some of my vintage Signet MM's that do not fit in the SME.

Reactions: ddk

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I bought one of these for my Commonwealth and really like it. I have been using another company's PS on my Garrard's, but haven't swapped in the LDA for some reason to compare.... For my milage, adding a good PS was one of the best additions I ever made to any of my idlers - that's including some serious re-plinthing, custom platter and bearings, and other crazy mods.

For what it's worth, I feel that my Garrard's tend to sound better with all of the eddy brake apparatus removed. I adjust speed by varying the current through the PS. I use the European 50hz pulley and adjust for USA voltage.
I read several opinions regarding removing vs keeping the eddy break. One day I will try the table without the braking system, but right now I'm just enjoying this amazing table.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Gorgeous. Two identical arms. What cartridges are you now using?
I have about 12 carts. The back arm is being used with vintage MM’s and the front arm is being used with MC’s. I ordered a new step up from DDK so I can run two MC’s through the Lamm phono stage.

The final configuration will probably be Ortofon SPU’s 85/95 on the back arm and VDH Stradivarius on the front.

Reactions: pcosta and PeterA

pcosta

Jul 25, 2010
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
I have about 12 carts. The back arm is being used with vintage MM’s and the front arm is being used with MC’s. I ordered a new step up from DDK so I can run two MC’s through the Lamm phono stage.

The final configuration will probably be Ortofon SPU’s 85/95 on the back arm and VDH Stradivarius on the front.
What step-up are you getting?

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Super nice! I really like the aesthetic of your turntable. It has a classic mid-century modern vibe that’s quite nice…. You might need to get an Eames lounge chair for your listening seat now …..

No need to completely remove the eddy brake assembly - at least to start. Just disengage it using the adjustment knob and then set the speed through the voltage adjustment on your PS. This will give you a good idea of the difference between the two methods for setting TT speed. See what you like and go from there. Like I mentioned earlier, the TT was designed to run on European voltage, using the 50hz pulley also makes a difference

Reactions: PeterA and jeff1225

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Super nice! I really like the aesthetic of your turntable. It has a classic mid-century modern vibe that’s quite nice…. You might need to get an Eames lounge chair for your listening seat now …..

No need to completely remove the eddy brake assembly - at least to start. Just disengage it using the adjustment knob and then set the speed through the voltage adjustment on your PS. This will give you a good idea of the difference between the two methods for setting TT speed. See what you like and go from there. Like I mentioned earlier, the TT was designed to run on European voltage, using the 50hz pulley also makes a difference
Thank you! I have an Eames Chair and Bose 901's in the living room.

Reactions: Ovenmitt and PeterA

pcosta

Jul 25, 2010
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
I have been using the Jensens with my phono stage and with the EMT TSD 15 cart and find them to compare favorably with some that were much more expensive. I have a Jensen MC-2RR-L and the JT-346-AX on the 1:12 tap. I would like to try the JT-347-AXT on the 1:24 tap with my EMT. Odd thing is the Jensens seem to be one of the few transformers that will behave with my EMT turntable without hum.

Reactions: jeff1225

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I have been using the Jensens with my phono stage and with the EMT TSD 15 cart and find them to compare favorably with some that were much more expensive. I have a Jensen MC-2RR-L and the JT-346-AX on the 1:12 tap. I would like to try the JT-347-AXT on the 1:24 tap with my EMT. Odd thing is the Jensens seem to be one of the few transformers that will behave with my EMT turntable without hum.
what model EMT do you have? It looks really clean.....

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
DDK ordered a step-up that matches the step-up in the Lamm LP2.1 Deluxe. I think it's a Jenson.
I've noticed Lamm getting some flack for using Jensen sut's. Oddly enough I have not used Jensen MC sut's but I have used Jensen studio tranformers lots. Imho if you can't get good sound using a good pro transformer ( Jensen and Lundahl come to mind ) then there are other problems afoot. Sure some of the 'cost is little object' MC sut's may and likely will be better ( Slagle and Consolidated come to mind ) but that is for those that want to play harder ( and pay lots more )...

pcosta

Jul 25, 2010
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
what model EMT do you have? It looks really clean.....
Big boy 927. Physically it was in good shape when I got it a couple of years ago, but I did send it to Dusch in Germany for a tune up. I really don't miss any of the tables I used to own. This thing has a quality with the way it presents music and sound that makes all others sound so anemic.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Big boy 927. Physically it was in good shape when I got it a couple of years ago, but I did send it to Dusch in Germany for a tune up. I really don't miss any of the tables I used to own. This thing has a quality with the way it presents music and sound that makes all others sound so anemic.
Very nice the 927 is the king of idlers.

Reactions: pcosta

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I would like to try the JT-347-AXT on the 1:24 tap with my EMT. Odd thing is the Jensens seem to be one of the few transformers that will behave with my EMT turntable without hum.
24X voltage amplification might be too much for EMT TSD 15 considering it’s 1mV output. You may overdrive your MM phono stage. Additionally you will be loading your cartridge with 80ohms which is not bad but not ideal either. I think 12X is a better choice.

pcosta

Jul 25, 2010
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
24X voltage amplification might be too much for EMT TSD 15 considering it’s 1mV output. You may overdrive your MM phono stage. Additionally you will be loading your cartridge with 80ohms which is not bad but not ideal either. I think 12X is a better choice.
I believe you're right about the 12x being the better ratio for the TSD, but...

I borrowed a step-up from a friend and tried out the 40 ohm tap and it was pretty much the same as what I was using in the Jensen at 1:10. The step-up I borrowed was a vintage The Head from Tim de Paravinci. It has three taps so out of curiosity I tried the middle tap labeled 15 ohms. That became my preferred loading, gain didn't change much, and my tube phono could handle it. It certainly didn't sound overloaded.

Does anyone know what the ratio may be for a 15 ohm tap on a step-up transformer?

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I borrowed a step-up from a friend and tried out the 40 ohm tap and it was pretty much the same as what I was using in the Jensen at 1:10.
Usually 40ohms tap gives you 1:10 ratio (20dB) and 470ohms on cartridge. To be more specific secondary impedance of the SUT is needed. That’s why you get the same level with Jensen.

Does anyone know what the ratio may be for a 15 ohm tap on a step-up transformer?
It may change due to transformer design and again SUT’s secondary impedance is needed to make a proper calculation but probably from 15ohms tap you get around 1:16 (24dB) ratio. It may be totally different due to SUT design.

It has three taps so out of curiosity I tried the middle tap labeled 15 ohms. That became my preferred loading, gain didn't change much, and my tube phono could handle it. It certainly didn't sound overloaded.

It may be because of loading 24ohms coils with a lower impedance than they need and eventually you get a lowered output. Your cartridge probably sees 150-180ohms which is just a little bit lower but ok for EMT TSD15 cause a SUT is more forgiving for inexact loading. As a result it’s impossible to speak certain when there is not enough information about the SUT you’re using. On the other hand if it sounds good to your ears don’t bother with these technical details and go on using it on whichever tap you like.

Reactions: pcosta

pcosta

Jul 25, 2010
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Usually 40ohms tap gives you 1:10 ratio (20dB) and 470ohms on cartridge. To be more specific secondary impedance of the SUT is needed. That’s why you get the same level with Jensen.

It may change due to transformer design and again SUT’s secondary impedance is needed to make a proper calculation but probably from 15ohms tap you get around 1:16 (24dB) ratio. It may be totally different due to SUT design.

It may be because of loading 24ohms coils with a lower impedance than they need and eventually you get a lowered output. Your cartridge probably sees 150-180ohms which is just a little bit lower but ok for EMT TSD15 cause a SUT is more forgiving for inexact loading. As a result it’s impossible to speak certain when there is not enough information about the SUT you’re using. On the other hand if it sounds good to your ears don’t bother with these technical details and go on using it on whichever tap you like.
Since that other SUT belongs to a friend, I gave it back. I have been using the built-in EMT 139stb phono in the 927 and just leave well enough alone, I don't feel as I am missing anything.

Reactions: mtemur

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing