New AlexxV

i gave a listen to alexx v and chronosonic xvx and greatly enjoyed both. they were in two different but very nicely set up rooms (for anyone in nyc this was at innovative audio).

the alexx v wasnt fully broken in and was being run on spectral with a linn digital front end. i heard sharpness and grain which i attribute to spectral being ruthless and linn being tipped up. i just couldnt get as agressive with the volume control as i wanted. however, at lower volumes the speaker was doing a great job on all the usual fronts. the speakers were still on casters so that + being used to sealed cabinet bass took some adjustment. overall, i really enjoyed my listen but couldn't help but think that my electronics on that speaker would be much better (for me/to me). so i want to stress that there are lots of things going on here but i did like the speaker and it put a smile on my face and i was toe tapping...i dont want anyone thinking the new wilson is harsh etc - it's not.

the chronosonic xvx was rigged up to dag monos, dag pre and had a berkley alpha ref dac. this was MUCH better. i was turning it up and jamming. however, this amp sounds closer to mine (symphonic line) and these speakers were broken in...this is precisely why i wanted to hear it. I felt it was a taste of what the alexx v's could become. the dealer was very gracious and invited me back to listen to the alexx's on dags after they break in some more - i will likely take them up on it.

the big comparison i want to make is that compared to my magico, all three speakers are great all rounders edging each other out in some aspects and not so much in others. however, specifically on moder hip hop, i was amazed at how much fun and just how damn good the xvx was. the driving midbass, the dynamics, everything was fantastic. i think the alexx v could match that. i think the s5mk2 is not far behind but because of the sealed cabinet and, generally, more polite nature it's a differen presentation. one that i enjoy for sure but the wilson's were damn fun.

this brings me to my "good problem to have". i have spent so much time on my digital front end (and it's still not nearly as much time as others have spent) that i really don't know what limitations i was hearing due to roon + an okay endpoint (linn dsm in the case of the alexx v) vs. the speaker. this is why i'm being more critical of the upstream gear and less of the speaker. i have kept a large thread here on my taiko extreme and today there were two important updates: the new usb card, and tas (their alternative to roon). the combination of the two allows my s5mk2 to image like the big wilsons...but better. it allows them to be more dynamic. the bass frequencies got cleaner and i was pushing my speakers at 20% above the normal volume i listen at and didnt feel it was "too loud" or sharp. the stage, depth, presence, flow, whatever you want to call it is all there and it truly sounds like a new speaker. that's where at the demo i was left wondering how these two beasts (particularly the alexx as the xvx makes no sense for my room and/or budget - "nobody pays retail" better be true LOL) would sound on my gear. i suspect they would be able to push forward beyong the s5mk2 and retain that nice driving bass line i heard. i'm very intrigued by this possibility but it's also worth pointing out that the taiko is just so far ahead of these other digital products that i just dont feel i heard all of what these speakers are capable of.

here’s a question... does mid-bass ‘hump’ mask transparency? If you flattened the hump, does the apparent transparency increase? and the corollary? (Asked somewhat tongue in cheek)
First question. It typically does. Second question. Yes. Not to be pretentious but I believe most experienced listeners would agree. Neither is better. That's for each person to decide.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobvin
this brings me to my "good problem to have". i have spent so much time on my digital front end (and it's still not nearly as much time as others have spent) that i really don't know what limitations i was hearing due to roon + an okay endpoint (linn dsm in the case of the alexx v) vs. the speaker. this is why i'm being more critical of the upstream gear and less of the speaker. i have kept a large thread here on my taiko extreme and today there were two important updates: the new usb card, and tas (their alternative to roon). the combination of the two allows my s5mk2 to image like the big wilsons...but better. it allows them to be more dynamic. the bass frequencies got cleaner and i was pushing my speakers at 20% above the normal volume i listen at and didnt feel it was "too loud" or sharp. the stage, depth, presence, flow, whatever you want to call it is all there and it truly sounds like a new speaker. that's where at the demo i was left wondering how these two beasts (particularly the alexx as the xvx makes no sense for my room and/or budget - "nobody pays retail" better be true LOL) would sound on my gear. i suspect they would be able to push forward beyong the s5mk2 and retain that nice driving bass line i heard. i'm very intrigued by this possibility but it's also worth pointing out that the taiko is just so far ahead of these other digital products that i just dont feel i heard all of what these speakers are capable of.
Dave Wilson was notorious for using cheap Parasound amps or iPods under a curtain as a parlour trick for audiophiles.

Reactions: tima
Dave Wilson was notorious for using cheap Parasound amps or iPods under a curtain as a parlour trick for audiophiles.
Never heard of this before. Sounds like a laugh. Are you suggesting that I'm overthinking the electronics in these setups?

Cheap amps including parasound could be just fine...my point with the dag, the taiko, etc is more the tonality. The spectral was just doing it's spectral thing which is fine but too much of a good thing on my not so great recordings (lot of modern rap and some modern pop). I think the dag tonality was a bit more forgiving.

Linn is just too thin and bright to my ears...they had an msb dac but weren't using that. I think if/when I go in for another listen I'd ask for msb + dag on the alexx v. Not the same as my gear but a bit closer. I could be wrong, maybe the speaker is more resolving since the tweeter is technically a new model with the carbon structure and the chronosonic has the "older" tweeter.20210401_173145.jpg20210401_171041.jpg

the alexx v wasnt fully broken in and was being run on spectral with a linn digital front end. i heard sharpness and grain which i attribute to spectral being ruthless and linn being tipped up. i just couldnt get as agressive with the volume control as i wanted. however, at lower volumes the speaker was doing a great job on all the usual fronts. the speakers were still on casters so that + being used to sealed cabinet bass took some adjustment. overall, i really enjoyed my listen but couldn't help but think that my electronics on that speaker would be much better (for me/to me)

I'd be curious to learn what amp and preamp were used for the Alexx V rollout at other dealers. D'Agostino is what Wilson often uses at shows. I would not make a buying decision based on hearing the Alexx V with Spectral electronics.

I'm keen to learn if there are changes to the Sensitivity and Nominal Impedance of the new V. The original Alexx is 91dB with 1.5 ohms minimum, 4 ohms nominal..

The Alexx V is 92dB with 2.0 ohms minimum, 4 ohms nominal. So a small incremental improvement but I wish they were more efficient to broaden amp choices. Although as I've learned about Wilsons, the numbers don't always correlate with the sonics.

the alexx v wasnt fully broken in and was being run on spectral with a linn digital front end. i heard sharpness and grain which i attribute to spectral being ruthless and linn being tipped up. i just couldnt get as agressive with the volume control as i wanted. however, at lower volumes the speaker was doing a great job on all the usual fronts. the speakers were still on casters so that + being used to sealed cabinet bass took some adjustment. overall, i really enjoyed my listen but couldn't help but think that my electronics on that speaker would be much better (for me/to me). so i want to stress that there are lots of things going on here but i did like the speaker and it put a smile on my face and i was toe tapping...i dont want anyone thinking the new wilson is harsh etc - it's not.
Thanks for sharing. However, I think this goes to illustrate the important of the source. In this case of all Spectral top of the line system. Their SV CD player would have been a better choice. In terms of system synergy.

I'd be curious to learn what amp and preamp were used for the Alexx V rollout at other dealers. D'Agostino is what Wilson often uses at shows. I would not make a buying decision based on hearing the Alexx V with Spectral electronics.
Why not? 2 out of the 3 Spectral dealers in the US are also Wilson Dealers.

I'd think the newer Wilsons would give you more resolution with Spectral than other amplifiers.

Subjectively, people may not like it. But, one man's "warmth" is another man's distortion.

Spectral is a system approach. As I've said to @Skanda I'd think his impression would be different if SV CD player was used in a Spectral system with the Alexx V or any other Wilson at Innovative for that matter.

Last edited:

I'd think the newer Wilsons would give you more resolution with Spectral than other amplifiers.

Subjectively, people may not like it. But, one man's "warmth" is another man's distortion.

Spectral is a system approach. As I've said to @Skanda I'd think his impression would be different if SV CD player was used in a Spectral system with the Alexx V or any other Wilson at Innovative for that matter.
one man's "warmth" is another man's distortion.

Excellent title for an upcoming Paul Simon song don't you think! lol.

I'm looking for neither warmth nor Spectral.

What's in your system?

The offical dealer of Wison Audio in Hong Kong has just got their first pair of Alexx V.
Its Ironman Red lools fabulous!
I shall go for annaudition after maybe 2 wks later, after some running-in.
:)
IMG-20210409-WA0023~3.jpg
IMG-20210409-WA0026~2.jpg
IMG-20210409-WA0025~2.jpg

Reactions: XV-1 and Mdp632
I'm wondering if anyone has had longevity issues with the carpetish covering around the drivers.

I wish wilson would change it up some how. With the covers on these models look great but they are somewhat ugly (not enough to not buy them) without. I look at a magico m series or even a series and it's so much sleeker for the viewer. I do like the wilson shape tho.

My Alexia v1 are going on 7 yrs old. No issues, they look brand new.

Reactions: Skanda
I'm wondering if anyone has had longevity issues with the carpetish covering around the drivers.

I wish wilson would change it up some how. With the covers on these models look great but they are somewhat ugly (not enough to not buy them) without. I look at a magico m series or even a series and it's so much sleeker for the viewer. I do like the wilson shape tho.

The "carpetish covering around the drivers" is called a Diffraction Pad in Wilson-speak. These are custom made and field replaceable.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing