Network Acoustics - Tempus network switch

It's maybe more like you don't hear noise in the system, until it's gone. And it's maybe not so much about actual "noise" but more of disturbances coming in through our networks affecting the performance of the streamer, even when playing files stored locally on a streamer it is being affected with a connected network cable. Similar to what the introduction of better DAC's did many years ago, people talked about a veil being lifted off their speakers. A switch was definitely a product I didn't think I needed in my setup a few years back, but hearing is believing.

I've been through the etherRegen and the Innuos PhoenixNET myself, the switch and network cables are to me an essential part of digital playback. The more frustrating part is maybe recently realising that while the switch is more or less a requirement it still can't do everything and the addition of a passive filter as in Network Acoustics Muon Pro solution after the switch will make things even better. In the Taiko Audio camp they're taking things even further and also want to replace your router creating a dedicated network inside your home.

As with everything in our hobby there's no right or wrong, you don't have to buy into anything and everybody choose themselves which direction to go with different solutions, but the better our setups becomes the more important all the details gets and everything all of a sudden matters, my advice is only for people to keep an open mind about the development in the digital playback domain as my feeling is that we're still learning a lot here.

As for money, I still think etherRegen is a good starting point for much less, to me the guys at UpTone Audio started this evolution and made us realise these things can be improved upon, but as with everything there will always be new, better (or only different) and more expensive solutions following any break through products. The next generation of etherRegen is also in development afaik.

Personally I can't wait to hear what the Tempus will bring to my already wonderful sounding system... :)
as I said pointless in my ecosystem. Enjoy.

Reactions: VoicesInMyHead
@jasond

I think the tempus has fully settled in now - I can't seem to detect any changes after 6 days of continuous use. When I posted my second impression, I though the sound was quite rich and organic and possibly just a smidgen dark, I think it was just going through an adjustment phase. The switch has now fully opened up - it not quite as rich (not to say it's clinical in anyway) as it was at days 4-5.

It is very dynamic and quite dark noise wise - so all good.

It is still a very listenable switch and presents music with a natural even way/tone. Previously I used to think with Edison switch the music could do with a just a touch less "Digititus", I no longer feel that way, so that's a very good sign, to say that the Tempus is presenting the music in a natural realistic way.

Now that I have over a week's worth of use - my aural memory of Edison switch has totally gone.

So, I think you'll be very pleased once you get yours. Give it a good week of continuous use for it to show it's true colours.

Cheers

1700629895215.png

Last edited:
@Jambo thanks for sharing your thoughts, very appreciated.

I’m looking with attention at your experiences as I highly respect NA products, having in use a Muon Pro filter and their USB cable, even though I still like my PhoenixNET at 100Mb in the chain. The Tempus switch could be my next upgrade or at least I’d be curious to compare it with the PNET before decide.

Having said that, I hope Rob will send you soon a Muon Pro to try, assuming it is a perfect match with the Tempus.

May I ask you which ethernet cables are you using?

I found them a crucial part of the streaming rig in my system, the Pink Faun cable especially that I consider the more natural and lifelike sonically speaking. I‘m waiting for a new Stealth ULTRA (yet unreleased model) that is expected to be here early in December and I’m going to compare it with the Sablon2020 and the Muon Pro Streaming cable itself.

Reactions: keithc and jasond
Last edited:
A small futher update from me, I was talking to NA just a short while ago and they said that the power supply is curicial to SFP performance and they done a great deal in the Tempus. So we were chewing the fat so to speak and Rich said try the SFP.

My pink faun has an SFP card, so I got out the modules and inserted one in the Tempus and one in the pink faun.

Crossed my fingers and hit play - wow could not really detect a difference initially between my AUD $5000 ethernet cable and SFP.

So the moral of the story (from my view point) is that the power supply is critical for SFP to work thier magic. So I think I can give myself a huge pat on the back for getting the Tempus, it has finally realised the performance of SFP. I will do a lot more hours and going back and forth, with SFP and ethernet cable but the power supply that come with the Tempus must be rather special to extract such performance from SFP.

So one for the SFP boys (and girls)...LOL.

Last edited:
A small update from me. I tried the SFP on the Tempus as I mentioned yesterday. Not too much to report, expect that on direct comparisons with ethernet, I found it a touch soft (lets say the notes just a very small touch rounded, but thankfully not remotely sterile).

Now at the same time I had ordered the Telos USB noise reducer which I had one on the Pink Faun server already, and put the new one on the router. Now these are meant to have cumulative effect, so I took the one out of the router and inserted it into the Pink Faun, so now with both on the Pink Faun the music became super focused, possibly a touch too focused via Ethernet, but via SFP just about perfect. A bit like digital image sharpening - sometimes you can over cook the image.

Then I repurposed the Dalby ethernet cable feeding it from the first switch to the Tempus, so this added a much needed focus to Internet streaming Qobuz/Tidal. So now the internet became a lot closer to local screaming. I think I’ll have to order another Telos USB noise reducer for the Router and this will further close the gap between internet streaming and local pink faun streaming, its already very close now.

So with the Tempus I have improved both forms of streaming by quite a significant factor.

P.S. If anyone is interested in what I’m talking about, this is it:

I’m using a similar product, CAD USB Control

Plugged to my Statement server/streamer it brings audible benefits in noise reduction and musicality.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jambo
Hi @luca.pelliccioli, thanks for that, Yes, I'm aware of the CAD USB control. It's just that it was easier to get the Telos in Australia and cheaper. The only thing the Telos needs is an Active USB port to work with. Now the CAD does not require an active USB port, and since my CH C1.2 does not have an active USB port, I just ordered the CAD USB Control for my CH C1.2. I was planning to get one anyway.

Cheers - have a lovely day

Last edited:
Reactions: luca.pelliccioli
Hi @jasond

I use a rather nice power cord already - I use a Vertere HB mains power cord terminated with the latest Furutech NCF plugs, and the power cord is then plugged into a power conditioner.
On the last switch (Edision) I was quite surprised the effect a proper power cord had - so no going back.

P.S I have also already changed the default fuse on the Tempus power supply to a SR Orange Fuse (since I had one spare). I plan to get a better fuse to say an SR purple or Audiomagic M1.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
interesting to hear! I am using SR Purple in all my Farad Super3 - it’s really needing a lot of burning time. Also already thought about using one for the Tempus too (which voltage are you using?)
Also the power cord is really important for the power supply - great to see you are using a nice one too.

The tempus is a universal voltage (remember it's a switch mode power supply so will work from 115v to 240v). But here in Australia the voltage is 240V.

Reactions: jasond
@Jambo
Many thanks. Sifting through these new audiophile switches was daunting. Along with NA switch I’ll get their Ethernet filter. Still deciding on the Ethernet cable.

On a side note, Synergistic Research has a network router here that you place in between your home router and audio chain.

Interesting that the 3 components (switch, filter, router) cleans up the signal. A one box solution would be nice.

Hi @KPC - you are most welcome, hopefully some of the information I posted helped somewhat as well as others who have posted on this tread.

Interesting product that SR Router.
What I found is that if I doubled up on the switches, one switch after a standard router feeding ones audiophile switch that the internet streaming performance was very close to direct streaming from a decent music server (pink faun in my case).

So when I purchased the NA switch I repurposed my existing audiophile switch for it to come before it and connect to the router first.

Another thing I found is that using some USB noise suppressor dongle (typically using a USB port on the router) also greatly helped (Telos dongle in my case).

So doing these two things, has virtually closed the gap to local pink faun streaming. And since I only tend to listen critically with the pink faun, this is more than good enough for me (it really is very close), so even internet streaming can be listen to critically to be frank, without missing much.

So I think it's a reasonable effective to achieve the same as the SR router, or at least get close enough to it (not that I know how it sounds).

Why waste your existing quality switch and not repurpose it to great effect.

I finally bit the bullet and ordered the Muon Pro filter, since they were discounted by 10% for this black Friday deals that are currently in place. I did not order the Moun ethernet cable as I currently have a very good ethernet cable already and one does not have unlimited funds, even if my heart and my desires thinks otherwise.

Hope you’ll like the Muon Pro and I’m curious to know your thoughts about how it works with the Tempus switch. IME the Muon Pro cable is an option but I need to compare it with other cables yet, actually I’m liking more my Pink Faun Ethernet cable. And I’m waiting for a new Stealth ULTRA Ethernet cable, early in December.

After Taiko also SR has designed a specific router, maybe also NA will go soon on this way. It seems we need to learn more about the streaming path nowdays.

I’m wondering if an audiophile router, that is intended to separate the system network from the rest of the house network, makes sense in my case. I already have a dedicated fiber internet line, from the external of the house, with a single router providing internet exclusively to my switch PhoneixNET then connected to my Statement server. It means I already have a separated network, dedicated only to my hifi system. That is quite uncommon I know. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Hello @Jambo and all, Happy Monday! I am reading with interest as digital front end is super important to me. I have just ordered the Tempus.
I have Muon Pro filters in both of my systems, and regardless of what I have done upstream of them they have always improved things. (the better the upstream Switch the less impact of the Muon, but it still helps). My system uses the M12 gold switch first with JCAT Optimo and now using Sean Jacobs AR6 to power it. It only feeds my two audio systems or occasionally my laptop if I am loading files from my RAID HD.

So at CAF I heard the DEJITTERIT SWITCH X at GTT Audio room. It sounded special. (GTT is amazing) So I have had one on demo (all broken in) for a week now. It is pertinent to these recent posts as it is both ROUTER and SWITCH with its special DeJitterit power supply. It creates a new or sub network deemed CLEAN SIDE. It sounds really good, better than the M12 Gold it is replacing. I have gone back and forth several times. It comes with the Wifi X as this is needed to access an ipad on the Clean Network. Obviously this is what SR and Taiko are doing, albeit in a distinct box not in the same box as the switch.

Also, I tried adding back in the M12, but just prior to the Muon rather than between my Verizon modem and the Switch X. It did not seem to improve things prior to the Muon. I will try it upstream of the new switch as suggested.

Lastly, I have runs of 10m and 15m of Supra CAT 8 from my office (Switch) to my two audio systems. I don't' really want to explore fibre for this. But, are there other ethernet cables that any of you recommend for runs of this length that would be superior?

Tempus coming....

I’m wondering if an audiophile router, that is intended to separate the system network from the rest of the house network, makes sense in my case. I already have a dedicated fiber internet line, from the external of the house, with a single router providing internet exclusively to my switch PhoneixNET then connected to my Statement server. It means I already have a separated network, dedicated only to my hifi system. That is quite uncommon I know. Time will tell.
Interesting. I have fiber (Verizon) in my Garage, where the ONT converts the fiber to ethernet. Do you split the fiber or do you have two internet service accounts? Do you use remote (ipad etc) access of your music? Can you see your server / streamer (downstream of Phoenix Net) on your network? Can wifi on your home network see your music? Or is it indeed a second or private LAN in your home? Do you have two wifi networks?
Chris at DeJitterit does a nice job of explaining noise on a home network which helped me.

Interesting. I have fiber (Verizon) in my Garage, where the ONT converts the fiber to ethernet. Do you split the fiber or do you have two internet service accounts? Do you use remote (ipad etc) access of your music? Can you see your server / streamer (downstream of Phoenix Net) on your network? Can wifi on your home network see your music? Or is it indeed a second or private LAN in your home? Do you have two wifi networks?
Chris at DeJitterit does a nice job of explaining noise on a home network which helped me.
I have 2 different internet service accounts, one for devices throughout the house (with wifi and satellites managed by its own router), the second dedicated to my basement listening room. So I have 2 different LANs, completely separate. The hi-fi network has fiber from the service provider to the router (no Wi-Fi), so it only works via Ethernet wired to the Innuos PhoenixNET switch and from this again Ethernet to the Statement server. All at 100 Mb/s from the router onwards.
I'm using an iPad as a controller, which is wired (wifi disabled) connected to the router, also using a Pink Faun LAN isolator.
After the router I'm using the Muon Pro filter, I haven't decided yet if it sounds better if connected upstream (between router and switch) or downstream (before the server), I need more time to get a final result.
At home the 2 LANs cannot communicate with each other, they don't need it and I don't want it.

Reactions: MarkusBarkus

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing