Natural Sound

Great write up Peter! I'll have to make another trip out there to hear how the system has been taken to another level.

@ddk you switched a XLR cable for a single ended cable. Do Lamm amps prefer the single ended over the XLR?

They did lose me at the Venetian blinds…that was abit Alice in Wonderland - even for me :)

Andrew, years ago with my Magico Mini II system, Jim Smith suggested I play with adjusting the angle of the shutter slats. We ran out of time, so I did some experimenting after he left. I did not really hear a difference. Then with the Magico Q3 system towards the end, especially after I got rid of information robbing accessories and particularly with the Ching Chang power cords, I did start to hear differences. I opened them up a bit and angled them towards the ceiling. This added some energy into the room and opened up the sound. I liked the effect.

So then when David was here and the system was starting to really sound good with much more information in the room from the records, we experimented some more. Sure enough, it was even more audible now. David certainly hears subtle differences better than I do, so he could detect very slight changes and then different angles on different windows. This is when I knew the gear and the room were becoming an integrated system. Remember the room is small, and there are no audiophile treatments to absorb and remove information, so much more comes through now.

The looking glass in Wonderland indeed. Go ask Alice.

Last edited:
Great write up Peter! I'll have to make another trip out there to hear how the system has been taken to another level.
I'm very interested in your "before and after ddk" assessment

I'm very interested in your "before and after ddk" assessment

Hello Christoph, that is difficult to describe. I wrote this in my report:

"It is hard to describe the sound and how it changed over the three days. It is certainly more dynamic and present in the room. The tone is more beautiful and the timbre is more correct. The music comes more to life in the room and it simply sounds more right. This is natural sound to me."

I can now add the following: The instruments and musicians seem more present, more in the room if it is a studio recording, or I am more transported to the venue if it is a "live" recording of instruments on a stage. Everything sounds slightly more real. The sound is more immediate and there seems to be slightly less distortion because it sounds more clean/clear. I have often remarked that the single adjective I would use to describe the BSO performances that I have heard is "clarity". There is now more of that quality.

Yet, it is very relaxed in the sense there is no fatigue. I can listen loud if the music calls for it. There is no harshness in the highs because I think David's cartridge set up is better with lower distortion. Basically, the VTA is now correct, but there is also more nuance and tonal shading. Dynamics were good before, but now they are explosive and clean and open. Everything is slightly more effortless. Also, with the slight adjustments to the cartridge, the new cable, and the adjusted wood louvres, perhaps even the new rack and stands, there is better tonal balance, and no emphasis of one frequency over another.

I thought I had gotten it pretty close, but David simply took it a bit further. The sound is more complete, and I must really reiterate, that it is more natural. Sorry, but it seems simply the best way to describe it.

The leaf can't get much greener.

If ddk keyed in on changes daily use had the effect of rendering less distinct to you. No shame in deferring until you've had time to adjust. He obviously had a pretty good idea what wasn't right beforehand to prepare for setting upon the worthwhile finishing touches.

Or maybe the steak didn't sit so well and he's left you quizzical. :D

• Haha
Reactions: christoph
Fun as always, Peter.

Seeing the photo with David and a Vitavox together in your room the scale fully clicked. To think your standmount speakers probably were capable of filling the room with sound. They look head high bent over the TT. :D :oops:

IMG_1787.JPG
How tall is ddk?
The Vitavoxes look rather big :eek:

Reactions: Andrew S. and rando
Have you compared the SPU85 with your other carts?

Yes, I have compared the Ortofon A85 SPU to my VDH Colibri. The SPU has a beautiful rich and full sound but slightly less resolution than the Colibri. I think the SPU would be very nice on thin sounding recordings that have slightly accentuated high frequencies. This Colibri is the most resolving and correct sounding cartridge I’ve heard with the exception of David’s Neumann.

Yes, I have compared the Ortofon A85 SPU to my VDH Colibri. The SPU has a beautiful rich and full sound but slightly less resolution than the Colibri. I think the SPU would be very nice on thin sounding recordings that have slightly accentuated high frequencies. This Colibri is the most resolving and correct sounding cartridge I’ve heard with the exception of David’s Neumann.
Both excellent cartridges I would also go with the colibri.

Andrew, years ago with my Magico Mini II system, Jim Smith suggested I play with adjusting the angle of the shutter slats. We ran out of time, so I did some experimenting after he left. I did not really hear a difference. Then with the Magico Q3 system towards the end, especially after I got rid of information robbing accessories and particularly with the Ching Chang power cords, I did start to hear differences. I opened them up a bit and angled them towards the ceiling. This added some energy into the room and opened up the sound. I liked the effect.

So then when David was here and the system was starting to really sound good with much more information in the room from the records, we experimented some more. Sure enough, it was even more audible now. David certainly hears subtle differences better than I do, so he could detect very slight changes and then different angles on different windows. This is when I knew the gear and the room were becoming an integrated system. Remember the room is small, and there are no audiophile treatments to absorb and remove information, so much more comes through now.

The looking glass in Wonderland indeed. Go ask Alice.

Hi Peter - oh dear I caused offense. I am so sorry. I think we are at cross purposes - I'm gifted at doing that.

I forget sometimes I'm on a largely US based forum, and some Aussie humour doesn't translate very well.

I was just 'pulling your leg' a little - (not sure if you have the same phrase in the US = it means an affectionate tease) - at the lengths you and David went to get it right. Sort of thing you would say over a beer together. Sounded funnier in my head....

I loved your response - "Go ask Alice" - which referenced Jefferson Airplane. I chuckled out loud at that.

BTW - I have never doubted any of your experiences for a moment.

Cheers

Last edited:

@ddk you switched a XLR cable for a single ended cable. Do Lamm amps prefer the single ended over the XLR?
The system is all SE cable termination type is irrelevant but quality of wire and termination matter.

david

Reactions: jeff1225

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing