My Pachanko Server is here. A bargain at 16k Euros?!

VK-GR

Aug 12, 2022
Sounds like you have a lot of great listening ahead of you. I need to get a Diretta Target to demo!
You do...!!!! I think in your system would make an even more profound "high-end" tuning. You pay for the development, the target itself I don't think is a lot of cost (I mean, it is a small box much like an isolator or an i2s converter). But the sound...... :eek::p

VK-GR

Aug 12, 2022
Sounds like you have a lot of great listening ahead of you. I need to get a Diretta Target to demo!
And adding to above info...

The model I tested was the Diretta Canarino which retails - in Japan :cool: - for Euro 700.
link is here...

I m not exactly clear with differences as I also see the model PS2 which retails at half the price.
And another Canarino model v2 which retails at Euro 1400....

AND Chan has also mentioned other higher end models which retail for far more (3-4k?)

Chan, can you enlighten us on differences, sonic and other, and how we can get the little (or larger?) thing....??????????

PS...Listening to Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio...WITH DIRETTA...and crying....or is it smiling????

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-09-09 at 18.11.26.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-09-09 at 18.11.26.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Reactions: bryans

pachankolabs

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2020
La Réunion
www.pachankolabs.com
And adding to above info...

The model I tested was the Diretta Canarino which retails - in Japan :cool: - for Euro 700.
link is here...

I m not exactly clear with differences as I also see the model PS2 which retails at half the price.
And another Canarino model v2 which retails at Euro 1400....

AND Chan has also mentioned other higher end models which retail for far more (3-4k?)

Chan, can you enlighten us on differences, sonic and other, and how we can get the little (or larger?) thing....??????????

PS...Listening to Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio...WITH DIRETTA...and crying....or is it smiling????
This one from SPEC : https://spec-corp.jp/audio/RMP-UB1/index.html
The biggest difference I've heard is on the soundstage and a bit more natural.

gentcan

Jun 15, 2022
I agree with you that you need to wait 1-2 years for a new car. However, you do not need to pay the full amount while waiting. And when you decide to pull it out, you can move on, no stress.
My dealer get me 25% deposit only until it’s ready for delivery. So no stress at all with its reasonable amount.

Reactions: pachankolabs

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
OK so I have had the CAT Masterpiece for about a month now. I must say I'm still in awe of this unit. The detail at times can be scary. I have some music that I have had in my rotation for decades, yes even those poorly recorded ones, now have so much more detail. I find myself "grooving" with the music so much more now.

Now I know some of you are hard core critical listeners and there is nothing wrong with that. Over the last month I find myself doing none of that. I'm simply just enjoying listening to my collection. My wife asked me why am I doing so much more listening, is that good or bad :oops:?

Now let me first say I am a believer in breaking in gear. But I'm not one of those who can say 500 or 1000 hours ago my system sounded like this or that in great detail. I "think" I know but do I really? All I can say is how much I am enjoying my system today. Today with the Masterpiece my system has tremendous detail, pace, air, smoothness, is way more dynamic, and just enjoyable to listen to. The toe-tapping factor is at an all time high. Yes I know I made up toe-tapping factor :cool:.

Now I'm still using Roon (non HQPlayer) over 90% of the time. I haven't done any upsampling, etc. so at some point I will start playing around with HQPlayer in more detai. The CAT is just sounding so good I just want to enjoy it as is.

Also I must say Pachanko support (Chan) has been on point. I haven't had any issues, just a bunch of questions like backup procedures, optimization of unit, etc.

pk_LA

VIP/Donor
Oct 21, 2021
it is a bit of head scratcher for me. I just auditioned a pile of top line dacs and I don't think any of them made the difference that switching from my Roon Nuc to the Pachanko Masterpiece has. It has brought warmth, density, texture and a relaxed-ness to my system that I love!

I do also notice that it must be warmed up to sound its best.

I only have a few hours on it. I will report back when I have sufficient time.

Also, Chan (the Pachanko rep and principle) has been incredibly supportive - day and night *I felt a little bad as he was talking to me the other night at 0330 his time!

pachankolabs

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2020
La Réunion
www.pachankolabs.com
it is a bit of head scratcher for me. I just auditioned a pile of top line dacs and I don't think any of them made the difference that switching from my Roon Nuc to the Pachanko Masterpiece has. It has brought warmth, density, texture and a relaxed-ness to my system that I love!

Also, Chan (the Pachanko rep and principle) has been incredibly supportive - day and night *I felt a little bad as he was talking to me the other night at 0330 his time!

Are you referring to this post for dacs?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Not for me Patrick. I recall that many of us suggested you consider a better server as your Roon. Nuc was a big limiter to good sound in your room. May you have many hours of aural bliss

Reactions: gleeds

TDX

Jan 14, 2020

geez, just noticed that you have so high end equipment but use a NUC… glad you’ve had a high end server now the system is completed.

Jul 8, 2022
...IGNORANCE IS BLISS....

Over the last 45 days I have enjoyed applying changes to my digital front end.

This was not entirely planned this way. I think though this info to be useful to other members as long as I explain as plainly as possible what changes I applied and how these affected my stereo system. The most important aspect of below info is that, with every change, I had at least two or three weeks of listening. And also that it was an upward journey, with audible improvements in every step.

So:
DAC: Project Pre Box RS2 Digital
Keces P8 Linear Power Supply

A. Front End Initial setup

Mac Mini with all UpTone Audio mods and Linear Power Supply feeding inexpensive bridge (allo usb), Intona USB Isolator

B. Front End Stage 1 (older Constellation Mini)
Previous Version Constellation Mini (fed by LPS), Intona USB Isolator

C. Front End Stage 2 (new version Constellation Mini)
New Constellation Mini (fed by LPS), Intona USB Isolator

D. Front End Stage 3 (new version Constellation Mini & Diretta Target)
New Constellation Mini (fed by LPS), Diretta Target, Intona USB Isolator

Impressions and Listening

1. from A to B - Normal/Generic pc and bridge feeding DAC to a dedicated digital transport or music server

The change is ENORMOUS.
It amounts to as big a difference as "when you purchased your first pair of higher-end speakers".
When you went from those generic Sony, Philips or Aiwa speakers bundled with a mini stereo system, to your first Wharfedales or KEFs or...
It is this kind of a difference....

Most notable...
The complete change below 200Hz where for the first time you can hear an undistorted and fast bass
The complete change above 2000HZ where for the first time the digital "brightness" and edge is removed from your highs and the vocals start "hanging: in the air, above the center image and providing you with a realistic phantom that is clearly singing and entertaining YOU!
The mids have substance, weight, and are flowing effortlessly.
The soundstage has grown in proportion and the image itself is well defined.

When listening to classical music, orchestra, you can now place the instruments in exact position. Yes, I know they were already in position.
But you know that slight flickering of the image...a slight move 5cm left/right...this is gone...
the instruments and vocals are pinned to their correct places.

What I got with the Pachanko Constellation versus other gear which I auditioned before purchase
The darkest - "pitch black" - backgound that i have been raving about in this forum.
At this price point, this aspect is - for me -what sets the Pachanko in a league of its own
And the client service experience - I was lucky here - from both Pachanko and Chameleon Audio (Greek distributor)

2. from B to C - Old Pachanko Constellation Mini to New Pachanko Constellation Mini

When I installed the new Mini in the system I did not really expect to see any difference at all. Really.
But what I got was more PRaT.... It was not like a sledgehammer revelation. It was subtle. But it was there!

I had spent a month with the old mini and when I installed the new mini I was amazed to find a little bit more rythm in the music. a bit more toe tapping. When I reported this to Chan ,saying "I am certain this is my bias, since this is a new unit or my unit etc..."
"Better Resonance Control in the new case"...said Master Chan! May the force be with him!!!

3. from C to D - Adding Diretta Target to System (Pachanko, Diretta and DAC fed by LPS)

* connection Chain is Ethernet to port1 of Pachanko, Pachanko Lan Port 2 to Diretta Target, Diretta Target to DAC by USB cable

Now, this is again interesting. I would not call the changes which I heard subtle but rather "the best high end refinement in my system"

The center image level lifted some 25cm above the top of my speakers, which was the previous level at which center image sat.
Soundstage equally grew by some 25cm each side.

Initially I thought this was a 2D effect. But by listening at my reference songs again and again I understood that it was as if I had actually doubled the layers of my sound image. I mean in depth. If there is a singer and a drum behind him/her then you can now place a distance between them.

The only way I can best explain or that I best felt this change is in songs such as Emeli Sande's "My kind of love - Live Royal Albert Hall"
The vocals are at center so you can very easily track the change in height of the image.

But...mid song...3:00 minute, there is a drum transient that goes from right border o the soundstage all the way to the left border.
The definition, weight, airiness and openness of the stage is now staggering. And this is where you can also well understand the layering when the drum traverses behind the singer at center.

Equally in "Billy the Kid - Suite from the Ballet: Gun Battle" from the McIntosh Audiophile Test Reference Recordings I was shi@@ing my pants!!!

Better bass definition and layering is also much apparent in other songs such as Alan Parson "Genesis"

(My) Conclusion

So... "Ignorance is bliss"... Not Exactly
Well, if i had not heard the differences every step of the way I would be non-wiser.
Sure, I would also perhaps be a richer man in my pocket. Don't purchase anything....

But the juice of this story is what I discussed with both Nick/Chameleon Audio an Chan/Pachanko Labs
If you hear the difference, the extra bit of magic in your system, you cannot go back.
And the cost is worth it in this case, I assure you, every step of the way up,

By far the biggest change was moving to a dedicated computer audio transport.
But all the other little changes also added so much!!!

Photo 1: stereo setup
Photo2: Pachanko Constellation Mini
Photo 3: Diretta Target

PS...I can only envy, in the best of audiophile ways, my fellow members Bogan88, bryans, Tannoysuperprestige....many more....for their higher-end front end setup....it is at this point that...IGNORANCE IS BLISS!!!!!... enjoy guys, I am certain you can hear alot more of all the above I refer to...:)
Wow! What a nice and detailed review! I had a real pleasure to read it. I have now the Pachanko Constellation mini Se with Stellar power supply in my set. Together with the Sforzato DSP-010EX (full set up). For a couple of weeks now. I am so deeply impressed of the sound this combination gives me. I make use of ROON, Diretta and the HQ Player. I like the sound of the HQ Player very much. Next week (8 & 9 of october) is the biggest Audioshow in the Netherlands. Piet de Vries, from Audiotweaks, importer of Pachanko in the Netherlands will also be there. With the topline of Pachanko, DIRETTA, SPEC and the new line of speakers from Fyne. Almost the same set up as last year. I am always helping Piet (as a friend) to cary all of the big cartons to the listening room and to make sure te get the best sound in the room. I am sure this year we will have a lot of visitors who will be positively amazed about the sound in our room. If you are in the neighbourhood......just come by and visit us. Be aware I have no commercial interests in this. I am just a listener and longterm music lover as you! Also this year I will try to explain to the visitors what a breakthrough DIRETTA is when used together with the gear from Pachanko! I will also put to it HQ Player.

Reactions: bryans and VK-GR

VK-GR

Aug 12, 2022
Wow! What a nice and detailed review! I had a real pleasure to read it. I have now the Pachanko Constellation mini Se with Stellar power supply in my set. Together with the Sforzato DSP-010EX (full set up). For a couple of weeks now. I am so deeply impressed of the sound this combination gives me. I make use of ROON, Diretta and the HQ Player. I like the sound of the HQ Player very much. Next week (8 & 9 of october) is the biggest Audioshow in the Netherlands. Piet de Vries, from Audiotweaks, importer of Pachanko in the Netherlands will also be there. With the topline of Pachanko, DIRETTA, SPEC and the new line of speakers from Fyne. Almost the same set up as last year. I am always helping Piet (as a friend) to cary all of the big cartons to the listening room and to make sure te get the best sound in the room. I am sure this year we will have a lot of visitors who will be positively amazed about the sound in our room. If you are in the neighbourhood......just come by and visit us. Be aware I have no commercial interests in this. I am just a listener and longterm music lover as you! Also this year I will try to explain to the visitors what a breakthrough DIRETTA is when used together with the gear from Pachanko! I will also put to it HQ Player.
Wish I could attend.

After my trial of Diretta I was also equally happy with the improvement.
Three days ago purchased my Diretta target and anxiously awaiting its arrival.

Ok, now joking abit, I also believe that the person who developed Diretta (hello Yu!) is the soul brother of Chan (Pachanko).
They are both the most helpful people on earth. This attribute, along with their knowledge of the digital domain, has made my Pachanko experience all the better...

WELL DONE GUYS the implementation of both your systems in one "bundle" sound combo gives me something extra in sound.

As I also understand, the Diretta target can be applied to any pc/server system, be that with a different implementation (no dedicated port, unless you are Bill Gates and can configure one!!!)

Again for those interested in Diretta targer/bridge (buying from outside Japan) you can purchase here...
https://www.diretta.link/shop/

And Pachnko Labs here....

or your local dealer....in Greece its "sound guru" Nick of Chameleon Audio here...
I think the service is worth it if your local dealer is as good as Chameleon Audio

Nick, Yu, Chan....I' send you guys my bank A/C details and invoice for marketing....:cool::cool::cool::eek:!!!!!
Chan, in your case it is 16K but I'll accept a masterpiece instead if you throw in all cables....o_O
I'm kidding, you all earned it!

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing