My Pachanko Server is here. A bargain at 16k Euros?!

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
I must say things are now getting very tricky and uncomfortable. I’d like to list the time line of my orders below:
On 12th April I told Girand (Chan) I’m going ahead to make the order. I made the full payment by Wise transfer on the same day. I was told most of materials are ready and Chan is just waiting for a few other materials to come. I was told it takes 4weeks to make the server.

In May I followed up and Chan told me he’s waiting for LPS parts. By end of May, still ask me to be patient.

On 8th, 13th and 27th of June, I had to follow up with Chan as it’s way overdue. Chan said still not ready.

On 29th June, I ordered the AESEBU card to the server and paid extra money. Still no news about completion.

In July I followed up again, no response from Chan at all. On 27th July, Chan asked me to wait till 17th August and promised everything will be ready.

On 11th August when I asked about the server progress, Chan said everything will be shipped on 17th. And guess what? On 18th August Chan said he’s changing filter and capacitors and will be another month of delay till September. Unfortunately there is no way I still have patience to wait for this server. As such I asked for a full refund. Since then, Chan disappeared. This makes me very stressful due to the significant amount of money paid and the business owner disappeared.

For the audiophiles already received the products, I wish you enjoy it, I really thought it’s going to be a great option for streaming.

For potential buyer hasn’t bought the server yet, please be cautious. I don’t know when you will receive the server. Especially if you change mind, the business owner will just disappear.

Now I’m very anxiously waiting for Chan to get in touch and process the refund.

Guys, if you have any suggestions, please do advice

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
The last conversation happened on 18th august. Since then no response from Chan on WhatsApp. I don’t believe busy is an excuse for this matter.

pachankolabs

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2020
La Réunion
www.pachankolabs.com
The last conversation happened on 18th august. Since then no response from Chan on WhatsApp. I don’t believe busy is an excuse for this matter.
We are really sorry if you can't wait anymore, all companies are affected by components delay and mainly on this type of equipment. We are in the process of refunding your money.

Jul 8, 2022
It is always not nice when things are going not in the way we had planned it. In private or in business. TDX: your issue is an business thing. Please communicate this matter in a personal and business way towards Chan. Not at this forum. I honestly believe that Chan is full of the right intentions. It is good to keep that in mind. I had to wait a long time at mijn constellation mini SE. Several times I thougt by myself I waited long enough! I will cancel the order. Now I am glad I didn’t!!

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
It's important to be aware of the fact that we're in the middle of a global turmoil where the access to parts and raw material is scarce and very uncertain. There are also constant shipping delays. A high demand during the last couple of years has also increased the magnitude of the production.

Many of the manufacturers are under high pressure right now where we have to try to be understanding and patient.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
I don’t think we should mis-use the word “patience”. I’ve been waiting for over 17 weeks with all funds paid upfront. Right now I’m waiting for the refund for more a week with no updates either.

Reactions: DoctorWhy

VK-GR

Aug 12, 2022
Hello TDX, thank you for sharing info on your purchase experience.
It is a strikingky different experience than mine (and also other members I understand).

I think I want to keep impartiality in noting the following:

1. 17 weeks is indeed a long wait. Psychologically, for any audiophile, any amount of waiting time is torture.

2. Indeed there are very long ques for equipment deliveries (for lower end to high end gear). even companies like Cambridge and Yamaha who are supposed to control their supply lines are having problems with parts and deliveries.

3. I think for you personally, the most important input is two posts above where Pachanko Labs confirm that they are processing your refund.
This is a public statement made on a public domain so I trust that - at very least - this addresses your concern on funds.
Agreed, you have to receive funds, but I do not think you should be anxious on losing your funds after such a reaction from seller.

4. This is a personal experience, just as Tannoysuperprestige mentioned, the server is worth the wait. If you have enough "brain reserve" to hold out and allow Pachanko to fulfill order, if they can do it promptly, you shall not be disappointed on a sonic/sound performance level. I can attest to this.

5. I do not agree that such info should be only kept private or out of forums. We all have a thing in common in these threads, passion for audio, and any info and experience should be welcome and may be useful to buyers. Especially such info. At this spirit I can only say that my experience has been ultra positive. I do not know all the particulars of your order, but as a buyer and owner of Pachanko gear, what I wanted to see after this info is a confirmation of refund from Pachanko. I think this came promptly just hours after you posted your experience. So I hope this makes you a bit more confident with regard to safety of funds and transaction with Pachanko.

Keep us posted if you can and thanks for sharing experience. Sad for your wait. Even sadder if you don't get your first choice gear. Would have liked to compare "notes" with you on performance!

Last edited:

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
Hello TDX, thank you for sharing info on your purchase experience.
It is a strikingky different experience than mine (and also other members I understand).

I think I want to keep impartiality in noting the following:

1. 17 weeks is indeed a long wait. Psychologically, for any audiophile, any amount of waiting time is torture.

2. Indeed there are very long ques for equipment deliveries (for lower end to high end gear). even companies like Cambridge and Yamaha who are supposed to control their supply lines are having problems with parts and deliveries.

3. I think for you personally, the most important input is two posts above where Pachanko Labs confirm that they are processing your refund.
This is a public statement made on a public domain so I trust that - at very least - this addresses your concern on funds.
Agreed, you have to receive funds, but I do not think you should be anxious on losing your funds after such a reaction from seller.

4. This is a personal experience, just as Tannoysuperprestige mentioned, the server is worth the wait. If you have enough "brain reserve" to hold out and allow Pachanko to fulfill order, if they can do it promptly, you shall not be disappointed on a sonic/sound performance level. I can attest to this.

5. I do not agree that such info should be only kept private or out of forums. We all have a thing in common in these threads, passion for audio, and any info and experience should be welcome and may be useful to buyers. Especially such info. At this spirit I can only say that my experience has been ultra positive. I do not know all the particulars of your order, but as a buyer and owner of Pachanko gear, what I wanted to see after this info is a confirmation of refund from Pachanko. I think this came promptly just hours after you posted your experience. So I hope this makes you a bit more confident with regard to safety of funds and transaction with Pachanko.

Keep us posted if you can and thanks for sharing experience. Sad for your wait. Even sadder if you don't get your first choice gear. Would have liked to compare "notes" with you on performance!
Thank you for your kind word I’ll surely keep everyone updated.

VK-GR

Aug 12, 2022
Thank you for your kind word I’ll surely keep everyone updated.
No problem! I understand your frustration.

But here is a 7th point that I wanted to share above but then left out. Didn't wanna stress you further. This is ultra personal...I think it depends on my personality. Maybe yours is different.

I have also had delay experiences...
The one time when I felt I had to cancel my order and get a refund, like you after a couple of month of wait, it ended up in a huge f@@@ u@!!!
:rolleyes::rolleyes:...

I had already chosen my alternative option. Soon as I got refund I went to store to buy this second option.
Murphy's law...the gear was not available. The seller found fertile ground in my purchasing impatience, I WANTED SOMETHING THERE AND THEN, and sold me a piece of gear that provided poor synergy in my strero chain, until I sonld it at a loss and purchased new. In his store with his equipment it sounded amazing, in my listening room with my equipment not so much. It wasnt' bad....but it wasn't good either for years I regretted and though "what would have been".

I have never heard of a blacker background than that produced by this little Pachanko server....if you can, wait....or at least, if you opt for refund, line up your next purchase well ahead....

Bogan88

Aug 11, 2020
agree with the quiet background. that's what I experienced as well.

and re wait time. A lot of audio gear is being delayed as well as everything else.
try buying a car now. 12+months wait for some models, it's crazy.

I had to wait a while for mine too, but the important thing is it DID come, and I am still happy with it.

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
agree with the quiet background. that's what I experienced as well.

and re wait time. A lot of audio gear is being delayed as well as everything else.
try buying a car now. 12+months wait for some models, it's crazy.

I had to wait a while for mine too, but the important thing is it DID come, and I am still happy with it.
I agree with you that you need to wait 1-2 years for a new car. However, you do not need to pay the full amount while waiting. And when you decide to pull it out, you can move on, no stress.

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
I agree with you that you need to wait 1-2 years for a new car. However, you do not need to pay the full amount while waiting. And when you decide to pull it out, you can move on, no stress.
I agree.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
OK I promised an update and here it is. After waiting a week between US Customs and me traveling for work I finally was able to set things up last night. Now this is just Day 1 and really all I did was take everything out of the boxes and stacked up the gear as you can see in the picture. I'm using Pachanko Ethernet and USB cables. The USB is feeding my MSB Premier via ProUSB/ISL.

First I have to say the pictures on Pachanko's site doesn't really convey the mass of this unit. This thing is built like a TANK! If you are about power supplies this unit has it and more. Setup was pretty straight forward as Chan jump on the server and walked me through moving my files to the internal drive, restoring my Roon database, and doing the recommended settings.

I have to say after nearly 5 hours of listening this is one sweet unit. The detail I am hearing from some of my recordings is really amazing. Yes I have done a few double takes. The music has more body and weight to it in a good way. For example as I write this I'm listening to Death Row by Chris Stapleton (On From a Room: Volume 1). The bass thump is smooth, tight, and precise.

I'm not getting any digital harshness or fatigue even after a very long listening session. Now I'm using Roon with no DSP, etc.. I do have HQPlayer and the Diretta Host which I will play around with later.

With this being Day 1 I expect things to continue to improve.

Attachments

• Masterpiece.jpeg
    Masterpiece.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 54

VK-GR

Aug 12, 2022
OK I promised an update and here it is. After waiting a week between US Customs and me traveling for work I finally was able to set things up last night. Now this is just Day 1 and really all I did was take everything out of the boxes and stacked up the gear as you can see in the picture. I'm using Pachanko Ethernet and USB cables. The USB is feeding my MSB Premier via ProUSB/ISL.

First I have to say the pictures on Pachanko's site doesn't really convey the mass of this unit. This thing is built like a TANK! If you are about power supplies this unit has it and more. Setup was pretty straight forward as Chan jump on the server and walked me through moving my files to the internal drive, restoring my Roon database, and doing the recommended settings.

I have to say after nearly 5 hours of listening this is one sweet unit. The detail I am hearing from some of my recordings is really amazing. Yes I have done a few double takes. The music has more body and weight to it in a good way. For example as I write this I'm listening to Death Row by Chris Stapleton (On From a Room: Volume 1). The bass thump is smooth, tight, and precise.

I'm not getting any digital harshness or fatigue even after a very long listening session. Now I'm using Roon with no DSP, etc.. I do have HQPlayer and the Diretta Host which I will play around with later.

With this being Day 1 I expect things to continue to improve.
Looks fantastic! From your first impressions also sound fantastic.

When you have time to audition with HQPlayer I would appreciate a short comment on differences with/without HQP at same sampling rates.
Enjoy!

Reactions: Tannoysuperprestige

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Looks fantastic! From your first impressions also sound fantastic.

When you have time to audition with HQPlayer I would appreciate a short comment on differences with/without HQP at same sampling rates.
Enjoy!
Over the last few days I have been listening to HQPlayer comparing it to Roon (non HQPlayer). Now to me both sound quite impressive. With HQPlayer I tend to get a tad more upper detail, maybe a bit more airy if this makes sense. But less low end weight and rhythm. Now I have not played around with changing the sampling rates, etc. I have been playing music in whatever format it is via Tidal, Qobuz, local files.

At this stage I find myself listening more to Roon (non HQPlayer). But like always things a subject to change.

I'm still just enjoying listening at this point :)

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
Over the last few days I have been listening to HQPlayer comparing it to Roon (non HQPlayer). Now to me both sound quite impressive. With HQPlayer I tend to get a tad more upper detail, maybe a bit more airy if this makes sense. But less low end weight and rhythm. Now I have not played around with changing the sampling rates, etc. I have been playing music in whatever format it is via Tidal, Qobuz, local files.

At this stage I find myself listening more to Roon (non HQPlayer). But like always things a subject to change.

I'm still just enjoying listening at this point :)
Is Chan going to setup hqplayer settings for you? I guess that’s a lot to change.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Is Chan going to setup hqplayer settings for you? I guess that’s a lot to change.
Chan gave me instructions on how to set it up in Roon. It was pretty straight forward. HQPlayer was already setup on the server so I just had to enable it in Roon. Now I have never used HQPlayer in the past so I'm sure there is more for me to learn. I'm just using it with base settings.

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
Chan gave me instructions on how to set it up in Roon. It was pretty straight forward. HQPlayer was already setup on the server so I just had to enable it in Roon. Now I have never used HQPlayer in the past so I'm sure there is more for me to learn. I'm just using it with base settings.
Setup hqplayer in roon is very simple and straightforward. Setup hqplayer itself is a nightmare. The maker must be a nerd haha. But if Chan has already setup everything in hqplayer for you then not much to worry about. Enjoy!

VK-GR

Aug 12, 2022
...IGNORANCE IS BLISS....

Over the last 45 days I have enjoyed applying changes to my digital front end.

This was not entirely planned this way. I think though this info to be useful to other members as long as I explain as plainly as possible what changes I applied and how these affected my stereo system. The most important aspect of below info is that, with every change, I had at least two or three weeks of listening. And also that it was an upward journey, with audible improvements in every step.

So:
DAC: Project Pre Box RS2 Digital
Keces P8 Linear Power Supply

A. Front End Initial setup

Mac Mini with all UpTone Audio mods and Linear Power Supply feeding inexpensive bridge (allo usb), Intona USB Isolator

B. Front End Stage 1 (older Constellation Mini)
Previous Version Constellation Mini (fed by LPS), Intona USB Isolator

C. Front End Stage 2 (new version Constellation Mini)
New Constellation Mini (fed by LPS), Intona USB Isolator

D. Front End Stage 3 (new version Constellation Mini & Diretta Target)
New Constellation Mini (fed by LPS), Diretta Target, Intona USB Isolator

Impressions and Listening

1. from A to B - Normal/Generic pc and bridge feeding DAC to a dedicated digital transport or music server

The change is ENORMOUS.
It amounts to as big a difference as "when you purchased your first pair of higher-end speakers".
When you went from those generic Sony, Philips or Aiwa speakers bundled with a mini stereo system, to your first Wharfedales or KEFs or...
It is this kind of a difference....

Most notable...
The complete change below 200Hz where for the first time you can hear an undistorted and fast bass
The complete change above 2000HZ where for the first time the digital "brightness" and edge is removed from your highs and the vocals start "hanging: in the air, above the center image and providing you with a realistic phantom that is clearly singing and entertaining YOU!
The mids have substance, weight, and are flowing effortlessly.
The soundstage has grown in proportion and the image itself is well defined.

When listening to classical music, orchestra, you can now place the instruments in exact position. Yes, I know they were already in position.
But you know that slight flickering of the image...a slight move 5cm left/right...this is gone...
the instruments and vocals are pinned to their correct places.

What I got with the Pachanko Constellation versus other gear which I auditioned before purchase
The darkest - "pitch black" - backgound that i have been raving about in this forum.
At this price point, this aspect is - for me -what sets the Pachanko in a league of its own
And the client service experience - I was lucky here - from both Pachanko and Chameleon Audio (Greek distributor)

2. from B to C - Old Pachanko Constellation Mini to New Pachanko Constellation Mini

When I installed the new Mini in the system I did not really expect to see any difference at all. Really.
But what I got was more PRaT.... It was not like a sledgehammer revelation. It was subtle. But it was there!

I had spent a month with the old mini and when I installed the new mini I was amazed to find a little bit more rythm in the music. a bit more toe tapping. When I reported this to Chan ,saying "I am certain this is my bias, since this is a new unit or my unit etc..."
"Better Resonance Control in the new case"...said Master Chan! May the force be with him!!!

3. from C to D - Adding Diretta Target to System (Pachanko, Diretta and DAC fed by LPS)

* connection Chain is Ethernet to port1 of Pachanko, Pachanko Lan Port 2 to Diretta Target, Diretta Target to DAC by USB cable

Now, this is again interesting. I would not call the changes which I heard subtle but rather "the best high end refinement in my system"

The center image level lifted some 25cm above the top of my speakers, which was the previous level at which center image sat.
Soundstage equally grew by some 25cm each side.

Initially I thought this was a 2D effect. But by listening at my reference songs again and again I understood that it was as if I had actually doubled the layers of my sound image. I mean in depth. If there is a singer and a drum behind him/her then you can now place a distance between them.

The only way I can best explain or that I best felt this change is in songs such as Emeli Sande's "My kind of love - Live Royal Albert Hall"
The vocals are at center so you can very easily track the change in height of the image.

But...mid song...3:00 minute, there is a drum transient that goes from right border o the soundstage all the way to the left border.
The definition, weight, airiness and openness of the stage is now staggering. And this is where you can also well understand the layering when the drum traverses behind the singer at center.

Equally in "Billy the Kid - Suite from the Ballet: Gun Battle" from the McIntosh Audiophile Test Reference Recordings I was shi@@ing my pants!!!

Better bass definition and layering is also much apparent in other songs such as Alan Parson "Genesis"

(My) Conclusion

So... "Ignorance is bliss"... Not Exactly
Well, if i had not heard the differences every step of the way I would be non-wiser.
Sure, I would also perhaps be a richer man in my pocket. Don't purchase anything....

But the juice of this story is what I discussed with both Nick/Chameleon Audio an Chan/Pachanko Labs
If you hear the difference, the extra bit of magic in your system, you cannot go back.
And the cost is worth it in this case, I assure you, every step of the way up,

By far the biggest change was moving to a dedicated computer audio transport.
But all the other little changes also added so much!!!

Photo 1: stereo setup
Photo2: Pachanko Constellation Mini
Photo 3: Diretta Target

PS...I can only envy, in the best of audiophile ways, my fellow members Bogan88, bryans, Tannoysuperprestige....many more....for their higher-end front end setup....it is at this point that...IGNORANCE IS BLISS!!!!!... enjoy guys, I am certain you can hear alot more of all the above I refer to...:)

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    229.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    248.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    202.7 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing