My next step - Pandora?

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
Given the introduction of the Commander preamp, do you think some people will be selling their Pandora preamps?

I can’t justify buying new Gryphon gear so I have to content myself with used gear.

Given my system with Gryphon Cantata speakers, Gryphon Colosseum speakers, Aqua Formula DAC, Michell turntable, and SST Ambrosia Second Edition preamp, do you think upgrading my preamp would provide the biggest increase in sound quality for me?

Last edited:
Reactions: aangen

aangen

Dec 10, 2020
Minnesota
www.weirdenergy.com
Mine is for sale at Kyomi Audio in Chicago. I traded it in on a Commander. It has the Legato Phono Stage inside it. I highly recommend considering it. It was hard to let go of. I was hugely satisfied with it. I actually believe he has a second one without the phono stage. It's an amazing phono stage, I bought a new one to go with the Commander.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Mine is for sale at Kyomi Audio in Chicago. I traded it in on a Commander. It has the Legato Phono Stage inside it. I highly recommend considering it. It was hard to let go of. I was hugely satisfied with it. I actually believe he has a second one without the phono stage. It's an amazing phono stage, I bought a new one to go with the Commander.
Congrats! How is the Commander?

aangen

Dec 10, 2020
Minnesota
www.weirdenergy.com
Heavenly.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Could you describe the differences between the two?

aangen

Dec 10, 2020
Minnesota
www.weirdenergy.com
Could you describe the differences between the two?
It is hard to describe the differences as I went from a Pandora + Antileon EVO to the Commander and Apex. What characteristic of the new sound to I apply to the Preamp and which to the Amp. The combinations worked well in both cases. When I was listening to the Pandora EVO I detected no shortcomings. But the Commander Apex combo is an entirely different experience. I still recognize the music, but the sound is elevated so much that there is no real need to consider how and why. I could have stayed where I was, but oh my goodness do I love where I am at now. Golly.

Reactions: christoph

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Ok, Thx

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
Thanks for the responses. Wow, I can only imagine how the Commander and Apex sound. What are you using for speakers? What are your front end components?

I have friends who say that sound quality does not matter to them but it matters to me. I’ll never reach the rarified air of the Commander/Apex but I was so happy with my Colosseum before my latest woes.

I especially loved vocals and felt them so deeply when played back with the Colosseum. I can only imagine the Pandora would improve my sound quality. Did you find the Pandora to have a very low noise floor? The Commander is said to improve on this dramatically.

Last edited:

aangen

Dec 10, 2020
Minnesota
www.weirdenergy.com
It's all in my signature....

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
It's all in my signature....

Nice setup.

We should talk internet stuff. I’m slightly younger than you. I started writing LISP on a DecWriter in the 80s. I’m a big fan of Alan Kay’s work at Xerox PARC and still miss Smalltalk after programming in it for over ten years. I’m still grinding out code. It’s the only thing that ever made me happy.

aangen

Dec 10, 2020
Minnesota
www.weirdenergy.com
I started an Internet Company in 1994 hence my ability to buy fancy audio gear. I am a bit of a fan of the Internet.

Frankie67

Nov 2, 2021
What would be the greatest improvement in terms of SQ between a new Commander preamp or new Mephisto mono amps in a system composed of Essence momo amps and a Pandora preamp?

Frankie67

Nov 2, 2021

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
if you have money for Mephisto solo, may as well go apex stereo.

Reactions: John T

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Wow, Mephisto monos or Apex for Sasha DAWs! I think i’s a bit over the top. I would consider going Commander or Alexia V first or improve the front-end.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Wow, Mephisto monos or Apex for Sasha DAWs! I think i’s a bit over the top. I would consider going Commander or Alexia V first or improve the front-end.
I have the Mephisto Stereo with Pandora, I've also wondered if the Commander would be a big jump in SQ over the Pandora...

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Yes it will, only way to find out is try them. ;)
LOL!! Believe me the temptation is there! The hesitation is pulling the money out of my pocket!! LOL!!! I also know where this leads...Apex...

Reactions: TDX

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing