Crackle in the left channel of my Gryphon Colosseum

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Larry I think you can make that work. Perhaps a wood plate that covers all 4 corners on the bottom. You could use 2-4 glued together and create a 2-3" platform. You can buy cork on amazon. I would adhere cork on the bottom of the wooden plate/platform (between the floor/platform). The rack can sit on top and with the cork it will provide another layer of decoupling...

Reactions: LarryK

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
Larry I think you can make that work. Perhaps a wood plate that covers all 4 corners on the bottom. You could use 2-4 glued together and create a 2-3" platform. You can buy cork on amazon. I would adhere cork on the bottom of the wooden plate/platform (between the floor/platform). The rack can sit on top and with the cork it will provide another layer of decoupling...

I’ll see about doing what you say once I get the Pandora and turntable back up and running. :)

That way, I’ll know what before sounds like.

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
I’m building it as we speak.

The guy at Lowe’s was pretty impressed by how much gear was going into the rack, lol.

I figured out a way to use a washer and a nut as a safeguard in case the top nut breaks. The rod will only drop about 1/4” if that happens.

Reactions: John T

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
Should I use the Green Bias cable from the Pandora to the Colosseum or not?

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
I think I’m of the opinion that I will decide the bias and that High is where most of the magic lives, so, I don’t think I’ll connect it.

Besides that, I don’t like that type of cable and find it hard to install on the bottom of the Cantata speakers. It will be difficult on the bottom of the Colosseum.

Last edited:

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Larry, start off using the green bias cable. you will see as the volume increases when it changes between Medium/High. Drives me crazy when guys leave it in HIGH BIAS, your not utilizing high bias at certain volume levels. With the Mephisto/Pandora 47 changes to high bias. After I realized how it reacts, I removed the Green bias. But valuable to understand how they sync. Once you understand this you can remove the green bias and change manually...If your at 35 on the Pandora, your not utilizing high bias...

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
Larry, start off using the green bias cable. you will see as the volume increases when it changes between Medium/High. Drives me crazy when guys leave it in HIGH BIAS, your not utilizing high bias at certain volume levels. With the Mephisto/Pandora 47 changes to high bias. After I realized how it reacts, I removed the Green bias. But valuable to understand how they sync. Once you understand this you can remove the green bias and change manually...If your at 35 on the Pandora, your not utilizing high bias...
Ok, I’ll try it but I’ve always been a High bias guy. I dislike that fiddly little cable.

I’ve got all the DC cables connected and most of the power cables. There are a lot of cables, lol.

This may seem silly but why don’t I see Left and Right marked on the back of the control unit? Maybe I just missed it.

If looking at the back panel from behind, the right channel is on the right and the left channel is on the left, yes?

My last preamp has left and right above and below..

Last edited:
Reactions: John T

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
The jacks should be red for right and white for left. That’s ok for unbalanced but not visible for balanced, I think.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Ok, I’ll try it but I’ve always been a High bias guy. I dislike that fiddly little cable.

I’ve got all the DC cables connected and most of the power cables. There are a lot of cables, lol.

This may seem silly but why don’t I see Left and Right marked on the back of the control unit? Maybe I just missed it.

If looking at the back panel from behind, the right channel is on the right and the left channel is on the left, yes?

My last preamp has left and right above and below..
If you are just leaving it in High bias all the time you're just making the unit run hotter. Why heat the amp unnecessarily if you're not utilizing the cut off of Class A? If the Pandora is at 32 your getting Class A. The whole concept of the green bias is to show you when the volume exceeds into Class A. Decibel output engages the cut off...Hook the green bias up, increase volume until it switches into high bias, then you will know the parameters...

John T

Feb 15, 2022
The jacks should be red for right and white for left. That’s ok for unbalanced but not visible for balanced, I think.
Run balanced!

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
Run balanced!
I’m running as much balanced as I can but the tape loop is unbalanced.

There are red disks under the unbalanced inputs to indicate which side is the right channel.

Facing the front of the amp, the right side is right, left side is left.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
I’m running as much balanced as I can but the tape loop is unbalanced.

There are red disks under the unbalanced inputs to indicate which side is the right channel.

Facing the front of the amp, the right side is right, left side is left.
I'm not sure what to tell you here...

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
Ok, back at it.

We survived the storm. The Pandora is not blowing in the wind.

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
Ok, I am up and running!

I don’t understand the Green Bias setting which only lets me select Low or High.

I picked High but I have no idea what that means.

Actually, I don’t believe I can pick any setting except High. I am completely confused.

Attachments

• IMG_1711.jpeg
    IMG_1711.jpeg
    503.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
As for how the amplifier sounds, I think it sounds amazing.

My sound was better with the repaired amplifier and the old preamp, and it is even better with the repaired amplifier and the “new” Pandora.

I feel the sound has much more depth and presence than before. There is real slam with orchestral pieces.

I have tested the tape loop, CD input, FM tuner, and the DAC input. Tomorrow, I will try the phono section.

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
Ok, the phono section works fine so I have to up my record cleaning game.

I’ve ordered a DeGritter Mark II. I need a hands off solution.

I have sent off a note to SoundSmith about the Green Bias cable. Hopefully, someone at Gryphon can answer my questions.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Ok, I am up and running!

I don’t understand the Green Bias setting which only lets me select Low or High.

I picked High but I have no idea what that means.

Actually, I don’t believe I can pick any setting except High. I am completely confused.
Larry Green Bias should only work in Medium and High. Manually press medium bias. It should illuminate. Then turn the volume up on the Pandora gradually until it switches to High Bias, for me around 47-48...Then you will see how the green bias functions...

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
Larry Green Bias should only work in Medium and High. Manually press medium bias. It should illuminate. Then turn the volume up on the Pandora gradually until it switches to High Bias, for me around 47-48...Then you will see how the green bias functions...

Hmm, I tried that and it never switched to High. I’ll try again.

What do the blinking Low and High settings mean? I can’t seem to pick Low.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Hmm, I tried that and it never switched to High. I’ll try again.

What do the blinking Low and High settings mean? I can’t seem to pick Low.
Mine doesn't blink. Will it stay in medium bias? Another option ( I don't use the green bias cable ) disconnect the green bias cable and do as I. For listening say 35-43 on the pandora leave it in medium, if you are cranking it up beyond that manually switch to High Bias...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing