My Mola Mola Tambaqui Revuew

If you ask the MM US importer Bill Parish who also happens to carry Grimm as a dealer, he’d tell you to stay with the Tambaqui and consider a great preamp. Personally, for me the MM Markua is an Incredible match made in heaven for the Tambaqui. It sounds and performs like a 30k preamp at only 13k or so.

I stayed away from Grimm bc it only supports only Roon and I far prefer Squeeze these days. My Antipodes is agnostic and allows the customer to decide which program he wants to run. Swapping from Roon to Squeeze is a breeze and I’ve become a huge fan of Antipodes ecosystem.

I'm still comparing. Seems the MU2 was not fully broken in, thus it has been cycling between good and dull sound. But when it has been in the good part of the cycle, I prefer the MU2 to the MU1 + MMT. The MU1 refines the sound of the MMT and the MU2 takes that same refinement further. It seems to square the circle by being both relaxed and dynamic. I believe the aim was to provide a piece of gear that disappears as much as possible.

Of course, only an in-home demo to compare the MU2 to the MMT will tell your ears in the context of your system whether this is the direction you prefer. The MU2 and MMT direct to amps are equally good (that is, very very good), but different in presentation. The MM Makua preamp improved both MU2 and MMT vs. direct to amps. At least to my ears in my setup. Both DACs gain nuance and fluidity with the preamp. As someone who has not used a preamp in many, many years, this was a surprise.
Thanks for the update. Very interesting. Certainly “refinement” has been a common theme in the MU2 reviews so far.

Not surprised to hear that the MMT benefits from a preamp given digital volume control, and given my experience. Quite surprised though to hear that the MU2 benefits as well, given its full analog stage and resistors volume.

Cheers, enjoy the buffet.

Reactions: PYP and KrellFan1
If you ask the MM US importer Bill Parish who also happens to carry Grimm as a dealer, he’d tell you to stay with the Tambaqui and consider a great preamp. Personally, for me the MM Markua is an Incredible match made in heaven for the Tambaqui. It sounds and performs like a 30k preamp at only 13k or so.

I stayed away from Grimm bc it only supports only Roon and I far prefer Squeeze these days. My Antipodes is agnostic and allows the customer to decide which program he wants to run. Swapping from Roon to Squeeze is a breeze and I’ve become a huge fan of Antipodes ecosystem.
If I had more than $800k invested in my equipment, set it up in a huge room and helped voice the Tambaqui in that very room, I might agree. We will never know. ;)

Can't remember which reviewer thought the Makua was the best of Mola Mola's offerings (at that time) but I tend to agree. All Mola Mola gear provides very high performance for the price. That is true of Grimm too.

Grimm is working on a software update that will enable the MU1/MU2 to use software other than Roon. But Roon these days sounds pretty darn good. Always beneficial to have alternatives, however.

Reactions: KrellFan1
If I had more than $800k invested in my equipment, set it up in a huge room and helped voice the Tambaqui in that very room, I might agree. We will never know. ;)

Can't remember which reviewer thought the Makua was the best of Mola Mola's offerings (at that time) but I tend to agree. All Mola Mola gear provides very high performance for the price. That is true of Grimm too.

Grimm is working on a software update that will enable the MU1/MU2 to use software other than Roon. But Roon these days sounds pretty darn good. Always beneficial to have alternatives, however.

But Roon these days sounds pretty darn good. Always beneficial to have alternatives, however.
As I may have mentioned I am a lifer with Roon and feel like most all others that the Roon interface is head and shoulders in a league of its own I use it primarily on Friday when Qobuz issues new releases. At last listen I remain convinced Squeeze sounds better though perhaps the disparity between the two has narrowed a bit. I’d have to give it a more serious and extended listen. But in my view Squeeze still much better - especially in the mid frequencies which sounds congested compared to Roon.

All that said, very good and wise of Grimm to provide the customer the option to use other software. I’d have considered buying their unit but they lost me as a likely customer for lack of this feature. This will no doubt help them grow their customer base so that’s good!

Reactions: PYP
At last listen I remain convinced Squeeze sounds better though perhaps the disparity between the two has narrowed a bit. I’d have to give it a more serious and extended listen. But in my view Squeeze still much better - especially in the mid frequencies which sounds congested compared to Roon.
It is interesting how "small" differences can be so meaningful in our hobby. I've packed the MU2 and Makua to send back to Bill and enjoyed our "old" system last night as much as ever. Yet, I have asked for trade-in quotes because the differences I heard may be worth the investment. I'm a believer in diminishing returns and think the Mola Mola and Grimm gear provide gear that can disappear and leave music at at price point that is, in today's hobby, a bargain.

The mids sound especially good to me with both the MU2 and the Tambaqui (with the Grimm MU1). I'm intrigued to hear a different perspective/improvement on those presentations via Squeeze! And curious to test JCAT and the linux version of Audirvana too. We all have different ears, rooms and preferences. It is great to have a menu of items to try.

Reactions: KrellFan1
Has anyone tried the Tambaqui with a Lumin U1x?

I’m vacillating between the Tamaqui and the dcs Vivaldi Apex (used) and would pair it with the Lumin and a Nagra HD pre

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing