viber_image_2022-04-23_19-17-37-215.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
AMR, well yes, there should be 2 rooms if that happens, but I do not have 2 rooms now. :D Agree with your notes on active subs, it's the way to go for a full range feeling. Yes, I'm fine with the electronics. VAC preamp and Jadis amp work well for me. A long long shot of a dream project would be getting another turntable/arm/cart combination as a 2nd rig, and what I have in mind would be an Acoustic Signature turntable with a Triplanar arm and a Koetsu Jade, with a possibility of adding a Koetsu SUT in between. Thanks for inspiring me to dream. :)
That cartridge looks absolutely stunning. I could just look at it for a whole day. I'm looking at Phasemation PP-200 and Nagaoka MP-200. It's probably going to be the latter, due to the price. I believe PP-200 might be the cheapest Hi-End cartridge out there. At least for me.

How would you describe the difference between Maggies and Quads?

Reactions: jadis

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
That cartridge looks absolutely stunning. I could just look at it for a whole day. I'm looking at Phasemation PP-200 and Nagaoka MP-200. It's probably going to be the latter, due to the price. I believe PP-200 might be the cheapest Hi-End cartridge out there. At least for me.

How would you describe the difference between Maggies and Quads?
Indeed the Jade looks gorgeous. Have not heard a Phasemation here so far though.

The Quads are superior in clarity, and it is like they do it with such ease. And the music just COMES to you. The images are eerily holographic too. The Maggies now sound more recessed, lack immediacy and palpability, like you have to crank up the volume some more for it to come alive. But for orchestral and large scale music, the Maggies beat the Quads, which is not surprising due to quad's short size, so a natural lack of bass power. Now, some of my vinyl albums sound better on the Quads, and some better on the Maggies. This is really a convergence of 2 worlds. LOL. I have to jot down the records where each would excel in. Vocals and light acoustic intrumentals, for me, hands down the Quads are more musical. The Magnepans are great for more dynamic materials, they give the scale, as they are taller, and a more lifelike soundstage. That said, I still tell my friend that Magnepans are really suberb value for money speakers. The 3.7i's cost half the price of the smaller Quads like mine. It's an all -around speaker system. Going to the 30.7 really intrigues me. :)

Reactions: Chops

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The ARC 160s - Full circle with Audio Research

I started my high end journey in the mid 80s with an ARC D-115 MK2 power amp and SP10 Mk2 preamp. Somewhere down the road, VTL, Conrad Johnson, and Jadis joined my audio stable. Then went back to 2 ARC amp models and another Jadis model, and now, one of the latest ARC amps made by this illustrious company, the Ref 160s.

On another thread, I had shown my displeasure over the biasing method of the Jadis PA100 amp and I had been searching and scouting for a good back up or an eventual replacement. A few weeks ago I was alerted by the former local ARC dealer that they have some stocks on a going out of business 'sale'. I noticed the 160s and took interest. After more readings, a deal was reached.

20220917_213416.jpg 20220917_213448.jpg 20220917_213430.jpg

It looks pretty, or handsome as they would call it. Auto Bias all the way, using 8 KT150 tubes for a total of 140w. Has a Triode (70w) and Ultra Linear Button. That's interesting. It has a tube cage which I normally remove when using, for better air flow. It also has the touted 'ghost light meter'. A sight to behold. I'll be spending some hours burning them in before making serious listening.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
The ARC 160s - Full circle with Audio Research

I started my high end journey in the mid 80s with an ARC D-115 MK2 power amp and SP10 Mk2 preamp. Somewhere down the road, VTL, Conrad Johnson, and Jadis joined my audio stable. Then went back to 2 ARC amp models and another Jadis model, and now, one of the latest ARC amps made by this illustrious company, the Ref 160s.

On another thread, I had shown my displeasure over the biasing method of the Jadis PA100 amp and I had been searching and scouting for a good back up or an eventual replacement. A few weeks ago I was alerted by the former local ARC dealer that they have some stocks on a going out of business 'sale'. I noticed the 160s and took interest. After more readings, a deal was reached.

View attachment 98037 View attachment 98038 View attachment 98039

It looks pretty, or handsome as they would call it. Auto Bias all the way, using 8 KT150 tubes for a total of 140w. Has a Triode (70w) and Ultra Linear Button. That's interesting. It has a tube cage which I normally remove when using, for better air flow. It also has the touted 'ghost light meter'. A sight to behold. I'll be spending some hours burning them in before making serious listening.
So you got seriously fed up with the Jadis (dis)service. I fully understand.
If the ARC sounds only have as sexy as it looks, you will be very happy.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
So you got seriously fed up with the Jadis (dis)service. I fully understand.
If the ARC sounds only have as sexy as it looks, you will be very happy.
Thanks, Christoph.

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Initial findings. First hour could actually break one's heart, if he didn't believe in the burn in/break in phenomenon. There was practically no bass, and the soundstage is a bit squashed to the middle. There is depth but no width. And I was wondering if this thing is really 140w. :eek:

Fast forward to the 10th hour, and amazingly, everything came in, as in everything. Bass was stout and full, sound was so alive and balanced, width showed up and there was a full stage, peppered with instruments. And the power, it felt strong. This is more like it. :)

MikeHorns

Jul 6, 2014
Los Angeles
Congrats Phil, no more fussing around with self-biasing.

Just for kicks, at some point in the future, try the KT-88s from Jadis(less power for sure) to see what you hear about the differences in sound on power tubes.

Reactions: christoph and jadis

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Congrats Phil, no more fussing around with self-biasing.

Just for kicks, at some point in the future, try the KT-88s from Jadis(less power for sure) to see what you hear about the differences in sound on power tubes.
Thanks, Mike. That's a nice idea.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Initial findings. First hour could actually break one's heart, if he didn't believe in the burn in/break in phenomenon. There was practically no bass, and the soundstage is a bit squashed to the middle. There is depth but no width. And I was wondering if this thing is really 140w. :eek:

Fast forward to the 10th hour, and amazingly, everything came in, as in everything. Bass was stout and full, sound was so alive and balanced, width showed up and there was a full stage, peppered with instruments. And the power, it felt strong. This is more like it. :)
Now you have to change your screen name...:eek:
Congratulations!

• Haha

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm fond of taking pictures of the tube glow. And now, the ghost meters enter the fray as well.

IMG-565db5b60aa3a77813d25be5f000b2c0-V.jpg

Last edited:

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com

When I had the 160Ms, i found it quite a roller coaster during breakin, which can take at least a few hundred hours to be fully settled. The good thing is continuous improvement lies ahead, with some bumps in the road where you’ll have an occasional night where things don’t seem congealed at all, or flat, or dull. Then back the next day and viola! everything is back and sounding even better.

Direct Drive

Sep 16, 2020
East Anglia, UK
Fascinating journey Phil. Like many of us it is a journey which often pauses at points but then continues. Like you I have a love of the planar sound. I have owned boxes, SD1s in the 80s with ribbon tweeters, B&W 802s wigh the sealed bass units ( very power hungry...killed my valve amps) but kept coming back to planars.
I do wonder if you now you will notice tthe difference with new ARC. I my experience Maggies and Quads need a lot of power and current. Something I have struggled to achieve with valves. The only amp that has come close (but could not drive the B&Ws....just motorboated) was a Beard P101.
One of Rogue Audio 120 monos, like your story, flashed an caught fire....driving Maggies. KT88s were fine, not so the melted pcb, resistors and caps!
I now run solid state and plenty of power .
Enjoy.
P.S. I do like your room.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
When I had the 160Ms, i found it quite a roller coaster during breakin, which can take at least a few hundred hours to be fully settled. The good thing is continuous improvement lies ahead, with some bumps in the road where you’ll have an occasional night where things don’t seem congealed at all, or flat, or dull. Then back the next day and viola! everything is back and sounding even better.
Thanks Bobvin. You are right, there is continuous improvement going on. And I am hearing its 'power' coming in. It's quite powerful now, :)

Reactions: Bobvin

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Fascinating journey Phil. Like many of us it is a journey which often pauses at points but then continues. Like you I have a love of the planar sound. I have owned boxes, SD1s in the 80s with ribbon tweeters, B&W 802s wigh the sealed bass units ( very power hungry...killed my valve amps) but kept coming back to planars.
I do wonder if you now you will notice tthe difference with new ARC. I my experience Maggies and Quads need a lot of power and current. Something I have struggled to achieve with valves. The only amp that has come close (but could not drive the B&Ws....just motorboated) was a Beard P101.
One of Rogue Audio 120 monos, like your story, flashed an caught fire....driving Maggies. KT88s were fine, not so the melted pcb, resistors and caps!
I now run solid state and plenty of power .
Enjoy.
P.S. I do like your room.
Thanks, Gerard. Well, I have used 2 ARC amps prior to the Jadis amp and this 160s. Those 2 ARC amps, compared to this 160s, are more 'upfront', forward and lights it up in front of you, This 160s is more laid back, relaxed, and is superior in soundstage width and depth. I have added some things since day 1 of the 160s, like a 3" solid wood base, then a change from 4 ohms to 8 ohms (my bad, the Quads are 8 ohms), then adding a long Furutech power cord to run the 160s to the middle of the room where the p12 power plant meets the front end power cords, and now, putting on 4 Center Stage feet under the 160s. Amazing, that each change would result into an obvious increase in bass, spatial expansion, and detail. And I'm just at 50 hours. Yes, Maggies and Quads have the same sensitivity @86db and power is good for them. 150w thereabouts is enough. It's tougher to compare the Jadis PA100 to the 160s because the difference is so close. The Jadis is quite a beast too, sonically. In the end, I figure that the differences in both would be attributed to my use of NOS Telefunkens and Mullards on the Jadis amp. The ARC 6H30 small tubes cannot be rolled into these types.

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
Thanks, Gerard. Well, I have used 2 ARC amps prior to the Jadis amp and this 160s. Those 2 ARC amps, compared to this 160s, are more 'upfront', forward and lights it up in front of you, This 160s is more laid back, relaxed, and is superior in soundstage width and depth. I have added some things since day 1 of the 160s, like a 3" solid wood base, then a change from 4 ohms to 8 ohms (my bad, the Quads are 8 ohms), then adding a long Furutech power cord to run the 160s to the middle of the room where the p12 power plant meets the front end power cords, and now, putting on 4 Center Stage feet under the 160s. Amazing, that each change would result into an obvious increase in bass, spatial expansion, and detail. And I'm just at 50 hours. Yes, Maggies and Quads have the same sensitivity @86db and power is good for them. 150w thereabouts is enough. It's tougher to compare the Jadis PA100 to the 160s because the difference is so close. The Jadis is quite a beast too, sonically. In the end, I figure that the differences in both would be attributed to my use of NOS Telefunkens and Mullards on the Jadis amp. The ARC 6H30 small tubes cannot be rolled into these types.
Actually the 6h30 can be substituted with a Russian (if available due to the war), with a 6h6 (6n6p). They are very inexpensive. Sound wise they are slightly more relaxed sounding than the 6h30 “Super” Tube.
Depending on what direction you want to move the sonic “goal posts”, they might be worth looking into. I used them in a Ref 6SE preamp with good results. They might behave differently though in the 160s amp.
Cheers....

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Actually the 6h30 can be substituted with a Russian (if available due to the war), with a 6h6 (6n6p). They are very inexpensive. Sound wise they are slightly more relaxed sounding than the 6h30 “Super” Tube.
Depending on what direction you want to move the sonic “goal posts”, they might be worth looking into. I used them in a Ref 6SE preamp with good results. They might behave differently though in the 160s amp.
Cheers....
Thank you for the advise, Mr Jazz. I will be looking into that tube substitute. I had used gold pins premium EH Russian 6H30Pi on my ARC VS115 before and I couldn't really tell the difference over the stock Sovtek tubes. This 6h6 looks interesting.

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
If you end up trying them, please post your results.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing