Munich show 2023 Hifideluxe and MOC .

Dentdog

Jan 5, 2014
Atlanta
Caesar, careful. Marc is lean and hungry looking
IMO Zu Def 4s are the most underappreciated component. Not widely exposed, many are far more well informed here but have my pair in storage, about to unbox them for another run.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
it's a classic definition of band wagon effect... popular brands become even more popular....

the Analytical Sound published a dealer directory recently, and wilson was at 90 percent of their preferred dealers. ( I think they have / had? a new wilson loving executive) ... the problem is that wilson is such a polarizing taste. when new comers - many multi-millionaires - experience this hobby via wilson, they aren't running to our hobby like kids to a park, to say they least...

but band wagon effects severely hurts our hobby. and it is very difficult to overcome band wagon effects.

the recent new comers like Stenheim, Gobel, and Borreson may be better but they don't stand a chance.

To overcome band wagon effects, brands must:

(1) be distinguished and differentiated. So many well engineered products lose to an inferior product because the offer isn't communicated clearly . The best way to differentiate is to compare and draw sharp contrasts and explain the trade offs. This is one of the reasons I despise so many of the worthless , disgusting reviewers, who just write meaningless gibberish and declare whatever they like or want advertising revenue from, as the best (Example: "Berkeley reference dac is the best dac extant" , "magico is the champion of the world" , etc)

(2) reach a larger audience (via a robust dealer network). Otherwise, the brand is doomed .

I really love the creative work rhapsody is doing in this regard with their satellite model. But I don't see either (1) or (2) met by Borreson, Stenheim, or Gobel

I love many aspects of the hobby, and would love to see a more robust industry , with more innovation, appealing to more diverse people and tastes , and growing. Instead, we have a small handful of companies making big money off hifi dreck , getting their asses kissed by worthless, filthy, disgusting “audio journalists”, while vast majority of other talented designers are living like church mice…and prices going sky high , shutting out the new blood while propping up hifi dreck…

This hobby should about enjoying music and gear, and generally, enjoying life. But instead it’s all about ego and propaganda and lies and misinformation coming from the “audio journalists” that drives their agenda... while locking in the incumbents

A few thoughts on a real problem for our hobby, smaller manufacturers, and the dedicated people promoting them.

I loved your post and especially the term "bandwagon" effect!
Is Rolex the best Swiss timepiece? Besides Rolex, the industry now has two near-monopolies dominating it that each own multiple large brands and control vast swaths of distribution, including their own brand stores. And yet online platforms like Fratello highlight many smaller, high-value brands using a more streamlined distribution model and attracting a much younger clientele. Sounds like one of several places to start creating a future for our hobby!

I agree that smaller brands will have a nearly insurmountable task competing due to a lack of dealer support, an inability to differentiate their products from that torrent of hyped ad copy we see today,; not to mention inadequate marketing skills, ad budgets, and, yes, a lack of reviews and exposure from important industry publications that help establish a brands credibility. But there is hope.

One example is a review in The Absolute Sound of the Wolf Von Langa Son. WVL is a small German factory producing bespoke and wildly innovative loudspeakers. The WVL Son is a two-way design, using a Mundorf AMT running dipole mounted in a clear, time-alignable magnetic frame running down to approximately 2500 Hz, coupled to a 12" field coil mid-woofer extending into the 30s. At 92db efficiency (depending on room size and music taste), a 10-20 watts SE tube amplifier will make them sing.

I was so taken by them, first at the Capital AudioFest and again at the recent The Show, I bought them on the spot from the US distributor to take their place among the handful of products Hear This sells that we are not the US importer for. If anyone is curious, please, and in the greater LA area, please DM or call me and stop by for a look and listen. No, Wilson and other big brands won't be quacking in their boots from these small and very deserving brands; however, products like these will open hearts and minds (even very well-heeled ones) one at a time to a different approach toward achieving musical nirvana.

FYI, the speakers are $18,000/pair, including the field coil power supply. The Trafomatic 300B integrated is the chosen to pair them with and costs $19K. Add a Lampizator Baltic 4 or Sforzato DAC for under 10k, or if you prefer a great vinyl deck like the new Wand turntable and arm and you have a system under $50k that can truly be called end game for adventurous buyers unafraid to veer off the trail.

To be continued...............

Attachments

• PXL_20230611_201243078.jpg
    PXL_20230611_201243078.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
  • Trafomatic-Rhapsody.jpeg
    Trafomatic-Rhapsody.jpeg
    6.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
A few thoughts on a real problem for our hobby, smaller manufacturers, and the dedicated people promoting them.

Is Rolex the best Swiss timepiece? Besides Rolex, the industry now has two near-monopolies dominating it that each own multiple large brands and control vast swaths of distribution, including their own brand stores. And yet online platforms like Fratello highlight many smaller, high-value brands using a more streamlined distribution model and attracting a much younger clientele. Sounds like one of several places to start creating a future for our hobby!

I agree that smaller brands will have a nearly insurmountable task competing due to a lack of dealer support, an inability to differentiate their products from that torrent of hyped ad copy we see today,; not to mention inadequate marketing skills, ad budgets, and, yes, a lack of reviews and exposure from important industry publications that help establish a brands credibility. But there is hope.

One example is a review in The Absolute Sound of the Wolf Von Langa Son. WVL is a small German factory producing bespoke and wildly innovative loudspeakers. The WVL Son is a two-way design, using a Mundorf AMT running dipole mounted in a clear, time-alignable magnetic frame running down to approximately 2500 Hz, coupled to a 12" field coil mid-woofer extending into the 30s. At 92db efficiency (depending on room size and music taste), a 10-20 watts SE tube amplifier will make them sing.

I was so taken by them, first at the Capital AudioFest and again at the recent The Show, I bought them on the spot from the US distributor to take their place among the handful of products Hear This sells that we are not the US importer for. If anyone is curious, please, and in the greater LA area, please DM or call me and stop by for a look and listen. No, Wilson and other big brands won't be quacking in their boots from these small and very deserving brands; however, products like these will open hearts and minds (even very well-heeled ones) one at a time to a different approach toward achieving musical nirvana.

FYI, the speakers are $18,000/pair, including the field coil power supply. The Trafomatic 300B integrated is the chosen to pair them with and costs $19K. Add a Lampizator Baltic 4 or Sforzato DAC for under 10k, or if you prefer a great vinyl deck like the new Wand turntable and arm and you have a system under $50k that can truly be called end game for adventurous buyers
unafraid to veer off the trail.

Another example is Classic Audio. I have never seen review of their speakers on mainstream media. Yet, they are able to maintain a loyal fan base purely due to the quality of their products Since they don't do much promotion, they can keep their prices reasonable, even though the quality of the components and woodworking is first class. This is the type of product for the enthusiasts, not the "men's jewellery" market that some other manufacturers aim for.

Reactions: gleeds

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
Those were?

Hello

you may read Robert HARLEY classification. Mine was 1, 2 and 4 in his BEST of the show. However there is a huge gap between ALSYVOX / TAIKO system and the others.

KR

Philippe

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Part of going to the show in Munich was getting to hear more SS amplification
VIOLA labs was a nice surprise but i still havent heard the LAMM 1.2 REF and Karan .

As it stands so far i d probably go for a Halcro Eclipse Power amplifier .... as it is dead neutral to my ears :cool:
Should play awesome with the CAT pre i think

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Part of going to the show in Munich was getting to hear more SS amplification
VIOLA labs was a nice surprise but i still havent heard the LAMM 1.2 REF and Karan .

As it stands so far i d probably go for a Halcro Eclipse Power amplifier .... as it is dead neutral to my ears :cool:
Should play awesome with the CAT pre i think
I am not familiar with Halco these day. My last hearing was when they were first in the US in the 80s! As for Viola, their pedigree (ML, Cello and now Viola) is second to none and Paul Jayson, the President is a man of impeccable integrity and credentials. He was also responsible for one of the coolest products of all time, The Cello Audio Palette. I find their choke regulated power supplies provide their amplifiers with nearly unlimited dynamics and very low noise. Over the decades, Paul has continued to refine their amplifiers on a continual basis.

In most, but not all cases in high-end audio "everything old is new again:) Glad you found Vilola a pleasant surprise! Good luck with whichever new amplifiers you settle on.

Reactions: andromedaaudio

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada

FYI, the speakers are $18,000/pair, including the field coil power supply. The Trafomatic 300B integrated is the chosen to pair them with and costs $19K. Add a Lampizator Baltic 4 or Sforzato DAC for under 10k, or if you prefer a great vinyl deck like the new Wand turntable and arm and you have a system under $50k that can truly be called end game for adventurous buyers unafraid to veer off the trail.

I’m a big fan of WVL. I own the field coil PSU and Wolf has been a pleasure to deal with. The product itself is great and it was a good value.

One point to make - if you’re trying to recreate live music sould levels, 20W will not be sufficient for a 92dB sensitive speaker. You’ll need about 200W, depending how far you sit from the loudspeakers.
You need to hit 105dB peaks to recreate live music. Art Dudlely one measured a symphony from row J (I believe) and the peaks were even greater than 105dB.
Note that these are peaks - it doesn’t mean the avg listening level is 105 - of course that would damage your hearing. But if your system can’t handle the peaks, then you’ll have distortion when it tries to recreate them…

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Zeotrope, I'm glad you are also a fan of olf's work. I hope to hear his big horns at gestalt Audio when I visit Colin in the fall. I also appreciate your comments on peak SPL. The Trafomatic amplifier arrived from Serbia yesterday. I'm keen to set it up with the Son's in my small listening room and will take some measurements to see if it gets me to the levels I enjoy without distorting.

My comments were confined to the fact there are many smaller and exceptional producers like WVL that do not enjoy the coverage and the respect for excellence they deserve. Of course, it is not 100% the industry's fault. WBF, for example is a wonderful and cost effective place to get the word out as a manufacturer, at least to our small band of enthusiastic members:)

IMO manufacturers should take the time to pick their heads up from the workbench occasionally and take the time to get their story out. My view is we should not solely blame the media for being the ones holding niche producers from enjoying more notoriety and commercial success.

To ALL - the "bandwagon effect is real" but there are ways to overcome it:)

Reactions: Zeotrope

caesar

May 30, 2010
Gentlemen, very interesting that Valin from the analytical sound didn't make it to Munich. Instead, "worthless to the audio fans" Robery Harley wrote the show report. (Anyone tell that guy that his buddies at mofi and music direct have to pay the fans $25M? maybe an apology to the fans? if the mofi 's / music direct insurance company denies the claim due to fraud, will he chip in? :)

Valin has A LOT of faults, but a great writer. And his comparisons are helpful. Most audio writers do not make it to his knee. some of the better ones make it to his chest.

he is probably getting very old and sick to miss a trip to Munich. what will analytical sound do when he's gone?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Ceasar i started this thread as a show report .
Can you please take your reviewer hatred to the Extended loans ( LTEL ) thread were it belongs .
Regarding reviews / reviewers its simple , if you dont like them dont read them / buy the magazines.

Why dont you visit munchen and write your own impressions here

Last edited:
Reactions: SCAudiophile

caesar

May 30, 2010
Ceasar i started this thread as a show report .
Can you please take your reviewer hatred to the Extended loans ( LTEL ) thread were it belongs .
Regarding reviews / reviewers its simple , if you dont like them dont read them / buy the magazines.

Why dont you visit munchen and write your own impressions here
Hey Andromeda, I was actually praising Valin. :) .

One thing though: there is no objective truth in audio (other than for the guys with a rule in their head that gear must measure great to sound great , but they are listening to awful systems) . audio is a subjective experience, in many ways formed by the individuals who have a common preference for similar experience , and who are trying to influence others that’s their experience is superior.

Many guys elevate up their egos by having Others join their bandwagon. The popular tastes win, most of us, and companies , who don’t share their preferences, lose. It’s very asymmetric.

So there is a reason why we see and experience the gear that’s at Munich , and elsewhere . Hard to separate the gear from the people that prop it up.

But it’s your thread and I’m happy to honor your request .

If there are no weddings or graduations in a May , Will be happy to make it Munich in the future . And would love to meet you one day.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi anybody heard these Jensen speakers at Munich? On video they sound good, someone seems to have picked up the Szeryng Tchaikovsky

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Hi anybody heard these Jensen speakers at Munich? On video they sound good, someone seems to have picked up the Szeryng Tchaikovsky

Yes … A friend had a pair of IMPERIAL G-610C ‘s for quite a few years … They were very enjoyable for an evenings relaxation with a good cognac and the right material …. however as Brad mentions, they were on the fruity side of neutral, quite promoting the midrange harmonics …. Think in the same vein as Vitavox CN-191 , Living Voice Air Scouts etc.

Reactions: bonzo75

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
They were like listening to little people actually inside the cabinets - v odd

• Haha
Reactions: Zeotrope

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
Yes it was quite colored and off tonally
Hi

yes, it was for me one of the most deceptive stand. I do not understand at all, why Audio Note of Japan compromised their demo. The sound was slow, colored and sound vintage.

Reactions: hogen

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019

I spent approximately 30 minutes in the room, and the sound was too warm and colorful for my liking.
The fascinating aspect was observing how the demonstrators experimented with various diffusers, showcasing their distinctions at various places.

Reactions: bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing