Munich show 2023 Hifideluxe and MOC .

How about the opposite as well? I listened to some rock on Diesis and I liked it very much.
The immediacy of a well executed horn is great, esp. when it comes to recordings of live music -- as you note above.

Your specific experience is quite clear, positive in this case. And if someone wants to disagree with you on diesis, that is fine... you guys can discuss accompanying electronics etc… but those have not heard Diesis to say so is not

BTW, another one I enjoyed is the Thrax room.
I cannot offer an analysis of the finer parts of the system, etc, but three of us (you know who you are :cool: ) got them to play us Black Sabbath (War Pigs, of course). That filled the room btw -- and made our day!

Reactions: PeterA and morricab
Did someone listen to Lansche speakers ?

My favorite room at the MOC this year definitely the Odeon room.
Favorite one at Hifi Deluxe the Bayz Audio room.
Now I need to find a way to be able to afford Odeon Carnegie lol
Odeon …. My wife saw (not heard) a pair of Odeon in Germany a few years ago and when she got back home I was told that if I want to change loudspeakers it should be Odeon. She really liked the design. Myself, I have never heard them nor seen them.
Good Luck in finding the way to finance them.

Odeon …. My wife saw (not heard) a pair of Odeon in Germany a few years ago and when she got back home I was told that if I want to change loudspeakers it should be Odeon. She really liked the design. Myself, I have never heard them nor seen them.
Good Luck in finding the way to finance them.
THey have affordable models that also sound good. The Carnegie model at the show this year was their top model and it is quite expensive (still a lot less than some other "flagship" speakers). Their smallest three-way with a horn mid is under 20K. They have some two and two-half ways that are well under 7K.

Reactions: Rhapsody
BTW, another one I enjoyed is the Thrax room.
I cannot offer an analysis of the finer parts of the system, etc, but three of us (you know who you are :cool: ) got them to play us Black Sabbath (War Pigs, of course). That filled the room btw -- and made our day!

The Thrax electronics are pretty good. Their phono is great. Audioquattr owns one, DCC owns their preamp. Their hybrid amp is quite musical as well it was better than the Darts with the Stenheim Alumine 5 at Anamighty, and the preamp was better as well. The phono is one of my favorite phonos but too expensive, they are now coming out with a new iteration. And it is one box and flexible inputs.

However, it seemed they did not know which every PA designer knew; that bass is very inefficient and if you have efficient tops, you really have to go overboard to match them. They have missed this and it became evident when they tried to play EDM music at the after party, the sound got cut off. I could easily see the right channel top woofer going into over excursion and even hitting the coil and shorting. I tried to explain this but they were busy themselves trying to figure out what was going on. Just 3 sealed woofers per side for this ultra efficient large scale horn system is definitely not enough. If they wanted to go with sealed subs, they should have had at least double but preferably four times the number of bass woofers. Even then, I am not sure if messe halls provide that amount of current supply to drive those. In that case they should have gone more efficient subwoofer solutions and built horn subs and at least 8 of them...
They should use several of these horn loaded subwoofers:
NNNN - Devor 16

Matt

Reactions: kodomo
The Thrax electronics are pretty good. Their phono is great. Audioquattr owns one, DCC owns their preamp. Their hybrid amp is quite musical as well it was better than the Darts with the Stenheim Alumine 5 at Anamighty, and the preamp was better as well. The phono is one of my favorite phonos but too expensive, they are now coming out with a new iteration. And it is one box and flexible inputs.
Interesting 300b preamp and all 300b mono amp concept. Only one tube type through the whole amplification chain.

Reactions: carolus and bonzo75
For me the highlight of the show was meeting fellow members. We had a lot of online chatting with @christoph but it was really nice finally meeting with him and his knowledgable friend and having longer chats, walking around and listening to different systems together. He also introduced me to another fine gentleman @audioquattr and we had some brief chats and exchange of ideas with him too.

For an audio/hifi hobbyists, the very rare chance to experience first hand, the first high fidelity speaker ever (made in 1926) in its original form is a big reward. I felt lucky and indebted to everyone involved bringing down and original Western Electric 12b, and even using a VT2 tube from 1918 for our listening pleasure. These are one of the rarest items in hifi. They also have some strengths that even totl hifi today hardly matches and that is very educational itself. I spent the longest time in total in this room. Visited at least 6 or 7 times and listened to a lot of music. It was also very nice to meet JC Morrison whom I have always followed with interest.
View attachment 110593

For the rest of the show, I tried to visit this year all the horns I could and some of the rest as well. I will write about a few of the horn rooms as I am not into the others too much and spent much less time in them. There were more than a few rooms that sounded good, at least in show situations which is a hard thing to pull off.

Aries Cerat room was nice and I met Stavros at last, another forward/different thinking designer I follow and applaud. I joked him about his room acoustics and how adding my diffusers would help but I guess it was lost in translation or show chatter :D It was a very small listening space as the speakers were well into the room. I had the chance to sit in front right but then all I could hear was the right channel and I was so close I heard the tweeters and the rest in a very non coherent fashion. Then for the second time I had the chance to sit at the very back and it was a lot better. I enjoyed what I heard and it was evident Aries Cerat would be able to sound good if setup well in a suitable space. Kudos to Stavros.

View attachment 110594

Helloo

It was great seeing you. I loved the diffuser but too much clutter on the room for proper chat. Working with CNCs on the daily ,soi can really appreciate the work you have done on the diff.. Bravo. Maybe in another show:)

Cheers
Stavros

Reactions: kodomo
Not a problem for Taiko, Pilium or Alsyvox regarding your analysis of our room. We will all be showing together next year at Munich 2024. We (Taiko, Pilium and Alsyvox) were very pleased with the sound that we got with this combination. Hundreds of visitors loved the sound and several press reviews have already echoed the majority of visitors experience.

I did the disc-jockeying and I must have had at least 100 and I think many more come to me and shake my hand and literally adoring the sound. People don't do that if there are any issues.

Here is link from Enjoy the Music, where we do NOT advertise giving the Alsvyox room second to only the Western Electric room. Again, you didn't like it, but they surely did. www.enjoythemusic.com/HIGH_END_2023/Chowkwanyun/Saturday/

I can go back through this thread and dig up four or five other visitors opinions saying that the Alsvyox room was their favorite room, but why bother.

You can always run tubes if you want to soften the sound, we REALLY like the sound the way that it was presented during the show. But that is our taste and not yours, so no big deal. We like it, you don't. The good thing for us is that we sold at least one pair of speakers at the show and I think one more coming as well, not sure if it will be Rafaello or Caravaggios yet.

To each their own and for those that did and do like "our sound" come and see us in 2024. We enjoyed seeing all of the visitors that visited our room and loved that we had a packed room for pretty much every hour of the show.
Or, why wait until 2024 or travel all the way to Munich? Is possible to hear Alsyvox, Pilium, and Taiko together at several locations in USA. Come visit me in Portland, I promise the room will be a big step up vs any show conditions — you can get a real genuine taste of Alsyvox.

Also a damn fine horn/hybrid in Diesis Roma.

BAYZ too!

Reactions: Lagonda

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing