Munchen High end show 2022

I m going 19 - 22 may to the show in munchen

Who s going?
What brands you wanna hear ??

IMG_9857.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Conversely - normal music lovers would utterly despair at the moronic drivel played 99% of the time at audiophile shows. Mutton dressed as kebab female elevator jazz vocalists trowelled in blue eye liner, weird boom boom sound effects out the Breuningner playlist, and a smattering of audiofool favourites from Dire Straits and Pink Floyd.

The sanctitude found in the Silbatone room (when they are there) is due to them playing some of the most wonderful music recorded during the Golden Era by some of the most incredible artists ever to have lived.
Good tunes were also available at Verity Audio and, of course, at FM acoustics where Mr Huber seemed always happy to play real music.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill
I actually commented mostly on systems...it just so happened that the ones I like the best were powered by tubes or hybrids and not SS and had analog or tube DACs.
This is very interesting and also informative on your preferences, i.e. I think I have an inkling of understanding on how you like to tune your system.
Conversely, my impression in a number of rooms was that the tubes were not optimally implemented (e.g. choice of difficult speakers, etc).

I expected a lot of this set up but it left me uninvolved.
Lean thin sometimes even sharp sounding .
A analytical sound with this XVX set up
Lots of my wbf big wilson comments were based on listening to the maxxes / Alexandria.
So either wilson has changed their voicing or i grew in another direction soundwise , but anyway it wasnt my sound.
What doesnt help is that im not a nagra fan .
I ve owned a plp myself years sgo

It was a let down for me as well. I went there three times just to check if it was based on the recording being played but for my ears, no. Dull dynamics, no virility, everything is there but with no life to them. I don't mean they are bad, they are not good enough!

Also, 900euros for a double tape album. I love tapes and am willing to pay extra but this is just too much.

This is very interesting and also informative on your preferences, i.e. I think I have an inkling of understanding on how you like to tune your system.
Conversely, my impression in a number of rooms was that the tubes were not optimally implemented (e.g. choice of difficult speakers, etc).
Well, I don't make a secret of what I use in my systems...horns and SETs ;)

Reactions: carolus
It was a let down for me as well. I went there three times just to check if it was based on the recording being played but for my ears, no. Dull dynamics, no virility, everything is there but with no life to them. I don't mean they are bad, they are not good enough!

Also, 900euros for a double tape album. I love tapes and am willing to pay extra but this is just too much.
I was there when they played the last movement of Beethoven's 5th Symphony on tape and the big crescendos just fell flat...there was no power to it...the rest was ok but forgettable...can't imagine having a system that cost that much and the best you can say was that it was ok and forgettable.

Reactions: andromedaaudio
Absolare-Rockport room was a room that was balanced, well behaved (except for the very low bass), relaxed and good sounding so I went there a few times just to relax and listen to music, which is a good indication.

Kharma room close to it was another highlight. It sounded well, had a lot of investment in the room which in turn help them have better bass than most rooms.

Vivid Audio horn system also sounded very well behaved and balanced. A good, enjoyable sound. These three were at the top of the heap for me at the show.

For horns, tune audio was ok, avant garde was really bad in every way for me, tried a few times and always came back the same. Cessarro had smaller systems, they were ok but nothing extraordinary there for me. Aries Cerat had the new interesting looking setup, there was nothing wrong with it, sounding good but just did not get me excited there and then. It does have potential in sound, the looks does not work for me at all. JBL Everest dd67000 was very underwhelming and I do not know why, setup, amps? I heard the WE prototype speaker and the new 777 wideband driver. Interesting and capable driver, would love to see a different speaker system with it.

One horn speaker highlight was Admire audio and their WE based snail horn system with Lamar compression driver. The best midbass of the show but too much volume, too small a room so one can not sit and relax to listen to music. Still, that midbass!

Coolest system, OMA of course. Beautiful amps, speakers and a very nice person to meet and talk, Jonathan Weiss. The turntable was jaw dropping and would love to hear it through one of their more capable systems.

Wolf Von Langa system was crammed into a troublesome room, did not sound very good but at least played different music, at one point I was visiting I heard Pink Floyd's Ummagumma playing (those birdsongs)!

Hifideluxe Kroma big system was also good sounding, quite extended and dynamic. Seawave's horn system had potential and sounded ok in the small room. Acapella also did not work for me, and I had high hopes. It was not refined, a guitar string sounding like a rope (I am exaggerating to make a point) again too much volume.

I got myself a few tapes, records and a pair of Western Electric 300b's, met friends and had a good time, so all in all a good trip.

ps. turn on the AC god damn it! I know the energy prices are gone up but this is a high end trade fair!!!

Kodomo we have a lot in common.
Your absolare / rockport avior comment was spot on
If you read back i also mentioned Viva and admire as hornhighlights.
I dont know what happened but i missed OMA unfortunately.
Were they up in the atrium or on the groundfloor.?
I went back twice to the wilson nagra set up to check my opinion.
Same goes for the Alexx V room dcs
To be honest based on the munich set up s of those systems i could not even listen in those rooms long term

I d rather buy and experiment with the Viva hornsystem / admire horns to get something special
Magico M 6 also nothing special based on what i heard.

Last edited:
Well, I don't make a secret of what I use in my systems...horns and SETs ;)
Quite.
But horns & SETs are an outstanding combination, both somically & electronically.
Huge Wilson Benesch + tube push-pull, for example, much less so!

The OMA room at the 2022 Munich Show has on active display;

K3 TT with Schroder SLM tonearm and PhaseMation PP-2000 cartridge
Custom K3 stand with Consolidated Audio Step-up transformer
OMA PD2 Phono Stage (premier)
Special K Integrate Amplifier (premier)
The Museum Loudspeakers (premier)
Fleetwood Sound Company Deville SQ Loudspeakers (appointment listening)
Equi=Tech 2QRE Balanced Power Supply
Analysis Plus Silver Apex Cable and Power Cord Loom
OMA Racks Sound Treatments

View attachment 93014
One of the better rooms in the show, i just didn't want to leave the room - well-done job.
shame that the base sounds that came out of PMC in the next room could be heard in the OMA room

Quite.
But horns & SETs are an outstanding combination, both somically & electronically.
Huge Wilson Benesch + tube push-pull, for example, much less so!
I like big planars too! There were some quite nice hybrid amps that would work well with them I think

Vivid Audio horn system also sounded very well behaved and balanced. A good, enjoyable sound. These three were at the top of the heap for me at the show.

Can you elaborate...Vivid audio displayed a horn speaker?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing