Multiple Subwoofer Placement

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Well, I continue to be impressed by the Geddes array.

With two subwoofers, the sound is a warm, embracing tide.

When the third above ear sub is engaged, the bass takes on a profound Prussian discipline. It is taut, tight, disciplined and subtle.

With all three subs engaged, it is nearly impossible to not listen to the bass line when it is present, it is just really THERE.

If I want the warmer, more wavering hippie dude bass, I just have to turn the small above the ear sub off.

Cool.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I was trying to attach a simple jpeg drawing but it came out wrong ... sorry ...

DWR

Jul 26, 2010
Western burbs of Detroit
OK here are a couple of shots that I have on my computer now if you want another overall picture let me know. The first picture shows the 15" and 18" subs the 15 above the left sono tube sub and the 18 behind the right Abbey and to the right of the right sono tube sub. The sono tube subs are for lfe only and only used for movies obviously. The second picture just barely shows the third sub, it is on the extreme far right of the picture and looks like a dark picture frame you can only see about 30% of it in the pic. The only part you see of that third sub in the room is the grille and frame it is flush with the wall. The entire sub enclosure is behind the wall which is a coat closet the height of that sub is 53" and it is a 12" ported sub.

Attachments

• IMG_9435..JPG
    IMG_9435..JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 794
  • IMG_9434..JPG
    IMG_9434..JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 656

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
1,2, 3 are subwoofer positions, with 3 being above ear level. Listening seat is indicated "seat", this is in a room about 19x13.5 ft with a dog leg to the left (not depicted).

Main speakers are opposite the listening seat into the room about four feet (planar speakers) out from the front wall a little bit further apart than subwoofers 2 and 3 on the back wall and equidistant from the seating position.

Attachments

• swpos..jpg
    swpos..jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 645
Last edited:

brianherlihy

Apr 21, 2010
New York
thanks CJFRBW and DWR. CJFRBW, i am curious to know where the dog leg is as i also have a dog leg behind my sitting position. did that impact the placement of the subs. To both of you, have you tried Geddes solution of having one sub halfway between your sitting position and the speakers? My listening room is 19 x 40 x 10.5 (slanted ceiling) with the first 20 of the 40 enclosed and behind my listening position i have one wall open (dog leg) to the larger loft.

DWR

Jul 26, 2010
Western burbs of Detroit
No I have not as it is pretty much not an option in my room. The fireplace being on the left side and the love seat on the right leaves me no real way to locate a sub in either location. I have thought of and may try moving the left side sub out next to the fireplace but that only gets it about 4 feet out further than it is right now.

Dan

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
Assuming everyone is running the subs overlapping with the mains...what frequency are you low passing the subs at?

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Trying one last time:

Seems to work this time

Attachments

• Drawing1..jpg
    Drawing1..jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 797

DWR

Jul 26, 2010
Western burbs of Detroit
72 hZ here, I run the mains full range and send the second full range signal from the preamp to the subs via a DCX-2496, the Abbeys start to roll off pretty quickly under 50 hZ. I have gone anywhere from 100 hZ to 50 hZ and found the bass sounds the best at the 72 hZ level. I delay the 3rd sub 5.82 mS to make up the distance difference and run all 3 subs 90 degrees out of phase with no EQ right now.

Dan

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
thanks CJFRBW and DWR. CJFRBW, i am curious to know where the dog leg is as i also have a dog leg behind my sitting position. did that impact the placement of the subs. To both of you, have you tried Geddes solution of having one sub halfway between your sitting position and the speakers? My listening room is 19 x 40 x 10.5 (slanted ceiling) with the first 20 of the 40 enclosed and behind my listening position i have one wall open (dog leg) to the larger loft.

New diagram, not absolutely to scale, with dog leg. I don't really let the dog leg influence my positioning of equipment, the room has a sloped ceiling for a trapezoidial cross section, but I think the dog leg acts as a good "mixing chamber".

Attachments

• spos2..jpg
    spos2..jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 754
Last edited:

Gedlee

WBF Technical Expert
Jul 21, 2010
Novi, MI
Are you guys looking for a picture that shows the subs physical locations in the room?

Yea - none of my subs are normally visible, so what would a photo mean?

Gedlee

WBF Technical Expert
Jul 21, 2010
Novi, MI
Assuming everyone is running the subs overlapping with the mains...what frequency are you low passing the subs at?

All three of my subs LP at different frequencies. In general, since the LP is part of the "EQ", I would expect them to all be different.

DWR

Jul 26, 2010
Western burbs of Detroit
OK I took a better picture today showing the location of the third sub, as you can see all that you see is the grille and frame.

Dan

Attachments

• IMG_9523..JPG
    IMG_9523..JPG
    256 KB · Views: 762

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
All three of my subs LP at different frequencies. In general, since the LP is part of the "EQ", I would expect them to all be different.

What is the methodology to select the LP frequency for the different subs, assuming one has access to high resolution acoustic measurement equipment?

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Brian

Just cleaned it and replied to you ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing