MSB M500 monos : Home audition in Hong Kong

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
MSB announced their new S500 and M500 amp series earlier this year.
http://www.msbtechnology.com/amplifiers/
They are radically diff from their previous classA monos which got a nickname of "sea urchin" in Hong Kong.

The M500 was debuted at the Munich Show in May. Paired with Magico M6, they received many praising comments.

During the HK Hi-end Audio & AV Show in Hong Kong on 9th-11th this month, Pacific Audio, the HK dealer of MSB got the Munich pair of M500 in their room.
IMG-20190809-WA0125~2.jpg

Paired with a whole stack of Select Series frontend, a Raptor server and gigantic Extreme Audio MAAT Vector XAC speakers, the sonic performance surpassed all those of the previous years in that Pacific Audio room.
In fact I think that it's one of the top 3 rooms in the Show.

My friend Ricky is a die-hard fans of MSB. He arranged a home trial of that pair of M500 in his house after the HK Show.
I guess this may be the only occasion of M500 performing in a home environment. I of course won't miss the chance to audition them!

This is Ricky's audio system. All MSB frontend with a Crystal Audio Absolute Arabesque glass speaker.
20190825_143230_HDR~2.jpg

The ic and sc are Siltech triple crown.
Powercords are Audience Frontrow for M500 and Crystal Ultimate Dream for the frontends.

Here are the photos of M500 :
20190825_162346~2.jpg
20190825_162403~2.jpg

The external finishings is of very very top grade. Each heatfin surface & edge are unbelievably refined and smooth. IMO much better than many of the top brands in the market!
20190825_162257~2.jpg

Is this the result of their new in-house Haas 5-Axis cnc machine?
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2602920053108264&id=161361487264145&__tn__=*s*s-R

It seems that the the external chassis+heatfins are bolted to a inner core enclosure which contains the circuitry.
20190825_162243~2.jpg

When the M500 is playing, the logo is white in colour and there is a standby mode to shorten warmup time and the logo is orange in colour then.
20190825_141004~2.jpg
20190825_140931~2.jpg

Here is the back of M500. Both the gain and input impedance can be adjusted.
There are 2 grounding posts too. My friend connected them via the Select Powerbase to his 2 Tripoint Troy Signature groundboxes.
20190825_162332~2.jpg

I shall share with you my audition comments on a following post.
;)

Last edited:

DMSB

Industry Expert
Aug 9, 2017
If your listening is all at 94 and below on the Select DAC volume you may want to try out the gain switch in the back and put it into the "MED" or "LOW" position. The gain switch effectively scales the dynamic range of the amplifier to best match the speaker efficiency. I like to begin in the "LOW" position and switch the gain up one notch each time I reach 100 or more on the volume display.

Reactions: CKKeung

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
If your listening is all at 94 and below on the Select DAC volume you may want to try out the gain switch in the back and put it into the "MED" or "LOW" position. The gain switch effectively scales the dynamic range of the amplifier to best match the speaker efficiency. I like to begin in the "LOW" position and switch the gain up one notch each time I reach 100 or more on the volume display.
Thanks Daniel for your advice! :)

Here is the closer look of the gain control & impedance control on the back panel :
20190825_162317~2a.jpg

Ricky's Crystal Audio Absolute Arabesque speaker is highly sensitive.
We did try both the low gain and mid gain settings.
The mid gain setting was obviously much better in all aspects and the Select DAC volume settings is usually around 70-75.
:cool:

Last edited:

koalakoala

Aug 10, 2017
This is intriguing...

I play my select dac mostly at 70ish but always imagine that 90ish could be better (on manufacturer's recommendation)

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I wrote the 1st post of this thread on Monday and I said I would write a following post on my audition comments.
It's Thurs now because I find it not easy to describe the M500.

Then I remember how I described my MSB Select DAC a few months ago :
#1458 of https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/msb-select-ii-arrival.23302/page-73
" ... I don't have LP and open reel tape so I have concentrated on silver discs and CAS on my audiophile journey.
HK is a compact city and I did have listened to most of the top DAC in the market (except the famed Aries Cerat bcos there is not local dealer yet).

Most of these top DAC can impress listeners instantly : maybe their high resolution, maybe their huge dynamics, maybe their romantic sound, maybe their Swiss finesse characters ... etc

However I listened to Select DAC many times at shows/showroom demo/homevisits. Every time it's enjoyable yet when being asked what signatures it possesses, I can't give an accurate answer.
Via listening to it for longer time at home, I now understand it more.

IMHO the words to describe Select DAC are Righteousness and Allroundedness.
It seems to me that Select DAC has, at least amongst digital component/DACs, perfection in every aspects of sound.
..."

IMHO the same comments can be applied to the MSB M500 monos.
And again, the only pitfall I can pick out is its high price! :cool:

BTW a point to note is that my friend's Crystal Absolute Arabesque speakers are not the perfect partner for M500.
It is a highly sensitive speaker : 95db.
It doesn't need so much power. In the past, my friend paired it up with Kondo Ongaku (used as poweramp) and First Watt SIT3 with very good result.
And it's often our experience that using high power poweramps to drive high sensitive speakers can have a lot of downsides such as forwardness, coarseness ...etc
However I could detect nil of them during the audition.
In fact all my friends and I were surprised by the resolution and musicality of M500, both at low and high SPLs.
Awesome!

Last edited:

koalakoala

Aug 10, 2017
Nice review...In fact, I have similar feelings about this whole thing (although I have only heard m500 at the HK show)...

Righteousness is a dramatic word. I would rather put it as natural, or perhaps supernatural!

Reactions: CKKeung

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing