MSB Analog DAC vs Totaldac d1

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
You are welcome.

Elberoth compared the MSB $45k DAC against the totaldac d1, if I am not mistaken. I am sure you will let me know if I am. :)

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
You are welcome.

Elberoth compared the MSB $45k DAC against the totaldac d1, if I am not mistaken. I am sure you will let me know if I am. :)

He definitely auditioned other MSB DAC models than the top of the line Diamond. If this also included the analog I don't recall.

john925

May 3, 2013
I felt MSB Analog has more attack, but Totaldac D-1 Dual more balanced. Analog plays brass beautifully while Totaldac makes Woodwind vivid in your face.

Alexis

Mar 3, 2013
I am also very curious. I' bought the analog, but i'am looking forward to test also the D1..
I heard the total dac system last Munich High End show and was very impressed.
In my opinion total and analog are the most hot dacs on the market now..

I also bought the total usb filter cable.

Alexis

Mar 3, 2013
I felt MSB Analog has more attack, but Totaldac D-1 Dual more balanced. Analog plays brass beautifully while Totaldac makes Woodwind vivid in your face.

Hi john,
You compared msb analog a) with powerebase or with the standard brick b) via usb? It makes a big difference..:)
Thank you very much

john925

May 3, 2013
Hi john,
You compared msb analog a) with powerebase or with the standard brick b) via usb? It makes a big difference..:)
Thank you very much

I listen to Analog with its standard power not the better powerbase and via AES not usb. I would say Analog is a very good dac that I've heard of. But maybe due to the synergy with the amplifier, ASR Luna 6, and speaker, Marten Django, I felt Totaldac is a little more balanced. IMHO.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I had both DACs at home, but not at the same time so it is difficoult to make definitive statements. I wish I could be more helpful. I ended up buying the MSB Diamond DAC.

Alexis

Mar 3, 2013
Tomorrow I' ll try my old debussy with dsd firmware upgrading against my new msb analog, Both via usb with the total dac filter cabel. (wow)
In my prediction deb is more forward and fast, analog indeed more relaxed and envolving. I presume a better marriage with my tad speakers.
The last firmware upgrading on the msb, last month, should have change something, since my last audition.
Let's see.

Alexis

Mar 3, 2013
I listen to Analog with its standard power not the better powerbase and via AES not usb. I would say Analog is a very good dac that I've heard of. But maybe due to the synergy with the amplifier, ASR Luna 6, and speaker, Marten Django, I felt Totaldac is a little more balanced. IMHO.

John, may I ask you was you mean ezactly with more "balanced"?
Thank you!

john925

May 3, 2013
John, may I ask you was you mean ezactly with more "balanced"?
Thank you!

The Django has three woofers. It definitely won't be shy on the bass. So matching with Analog, which already has enough authority on the low register, gives me a little bit to much bass. I'm not a guy hunger for bass. Totaldac suited better in this scenario. It delivered sweeter highs and more vivid woodwind. But the sound stage of the orchestra is almost the same between the two. But I guess the Analog might perform better on some piano sonata. I own neither of them and I don't think I can recall every detail correctly. You may find a dealer to compare these two. If you can do a home audition, then it would be perfect.

Alexis

Mar 3, 2013
I opened yesterday my brandnew msb analog, the sound is good, but I have to play some hundred hours for break-in, I suppose..
The last analog msb I tested last month ( a loan from the distributor) has a widly open soundstage...
some experience about break in time with msb?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing