Most Accurate Stylus Force Gauge?

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
And one more note...

Measuring within .0001 or some crazy super accurate reading while nice is not really a value add. Reason? Because most arms do not have this level of super fine microscopic adjustment. As noted in this thread, knobs, or other conveniences in making adjustments often are flawed in design because their assembly being fixed to the arm often reduces the arms performance with slop, vibration, etc.

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
I use The Cartridge Man’s stylus force gauge and find it very accurate, I have had it for years and find it’s performance repeatable.

Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
One of the most important thing with VTF scales is measuring at the same horizantal plane with the record. Ortofon DS-3 is a good example and there are similar ones with same feature. Most scales -especially the cheap generic ones- measure above the record surface where tonearm applies lower or higher VTF depending on the location of center of gravity. If you’re using a dynamically balanced arm then there is no problem (usually).

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
Hi!

I don't see anything to argue about here. Just personal preference, but the Shure balance beam felt a little junkie, and I'm a little bit suspicious of generic, unbadged electronic units.

I would be curious to learn the results of Tim's suggested shootout, using a calibrated weight to compare the accuracy of the Shure balance beam to the Ortofon DS-3, the Clearaudio Weight Watcher, the Rega Alex and the Cartridge Man.
As MF notes, they nearly all come out of the same Chinese factory.

But it is true that some modicum of skill is needed to use a balance beam scale. I understand the driving force of personal preference.

And it is important to keep in mind that .1 gram is not just tiny, but actually minuscule.

None of these measurements tell you how it will sound. You need your own ears for that.

The SFG-2 is likely to be more accurate, but reports a less precise result, compared to the new stuff.

If I were picking a new one because my existing ones were unavailable, I’d go with Ortofon or Clearaudio. They are as important today as Shure was when the SFG-2 was the undisputed king.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The Rega Atlas arrived. It works, and it provided me a tracking force measurement.

It seems like a quality piece.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
I seem to like the....

Riverstone Audio Record-Level Turntable Stylus Tracking Force Gauge/Scale, 0.005g Resolution, Measures VTF at Correct LP "Record Level" Height (2 mm to 3 mm)​

Add copy shown below....

About this item
  • A Professional digital tracking force gauge designed for vinyl record purist's interested in precise measurement of vertical tracking force (VTF) at the correct vertical tracking angle (VTA). When used with the detachable cantilevered extension arm, the gauge closely approximates the vertical position of the stylus on the surface of a vinyl record when it is playing on a turntable- providing accurate “record-level” measurements of tracking force.
  • For optimal accuracy, tracking force should be measured at the same vertical position as the record surface. With Riverstone's VTF gauge's patented design (US Patent D878232), tracking force is measured 2 mm - 3 mm from the surface of a turntable mat - the height of a stylus tip resting on an LP record (LP's have a thickness range of 1.9 - 2.9 mm). With less expensive gauges, the measurement distance is typically 6 mm to 9 mm.
  • Precision strain gauge sensor provides 0.005 g measurement resolution and accurate measurements over the entire calibration range of the VTF gauge. To ensure accurate VTF measurement, our VTF gauges undergo a rigorous multi-point calibration procedure to verify the linearity, repeatability and accuracy of the VTF measurement. We have confidence in our gauges and provide TWO calibration masses (5g and 20g) to verify the readings at any time and also allow for future re-calibration if needed.
  • Manufactured using non-magnetic materials to minimize interactions with MM and MC cartridges. The housing of the VTF gauge is manufactured from a durable plastic. The cantilevered extension arm is made from a non-ferromagnetic grade stainless steel and the locking screw of the extension arm is made from brass. A polymer pad protects the stylus tip and allows stylus centering on the measurement platform.
  • Riverstone Audio Tracking Force Gauges are covered by our no-nonsense THREE-YEAR WARRANTY. The gauge is designed with two levels of battery protection, including auto-turnoff of the display and automatically powering off of the circuit after 60 to 120 seconds of inactivity. A detailed instruction manual (in English) is provided. Includes a tin storage box to protect the VTF gauge when not in use. PLEASE NOTE: *****Requires one AAA ALKALINE battery (SORRY, BATTERY IS NOT INCLUDED)*****
Can be bought on Am'zon for as little as $33.50 with free shipping.

Best wishes,
Don

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I have had many over the years, and back in the very early '70s, used the Shure balance type. In 1973, I bought the Technics strain gauge, which doesn't measure in the same increments a modern stylus pressure gauges, but it's a cool old artifact that I occasionally put out.
I've used the Acous-Tech one Chad sold back in the aughts- it is based on the more ubiquitous Chinese ones you see for less. I got a Riverstone, which was pretty well designed for the low price, but eventually migrated to the Ortofon DS-3 (the one that was originally for the Japanese market). My only complaint is that the weight pad doesn't have a "dimple," unlike the Cartridge Man one.
Believe it or not, some of the cheapies require warm up time to be accurate- that sounds crazy, but it was in the instructions for one.
I also agree that measuring to 100th isn't very meaningful. Repeatable results, stable readings are what I'm after. I haven't really thought about the subject in a while, since I'm fully "mounted" right now with no plans to change out immediately.
Does that Rega Atlas have a dimple? I found that where you place the stylus (as well as where you place the gauge) can have an effect.
When I do a set up here, I usually check in several spots on the platter.The Ofrofon is pretty good for the money. If I were going to go out and buy one for a new set up, I might consider that Cartridge Man unit.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
The Cartridge Man specs I found were +/- .05 grams. Similar to what I’ve experimentally discovered for the $15 to $50 Chinese sourced lot. Adequate to the task, but nothing special.

The Rega spec is +/- .01 gram. And the ad copy says that it was developed for their internal tonearm manufacturing activity where typical consumer gear regularly fails in use.

I may pick up the Rega just for fun. It does look to me to possibly be the most defendable “WBF What’s the best VTF gauge” extant.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing