More than 15,000 scientists from 184 countries issue 'warning to humanity'

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I'm no expert on this subject, but I welcome compelling data. For the sake of balance, it's important to understand there there is a credible "other side" to the climate issue supported by very respected scientists.

His reasoning is mostly flawed and he makes a lot of declarations of fact that I don't believe are actually accepted to be facts. The biggest one is his assumption that .8 degrees of warming is inconsequential. He can't know that and it's certainly not a fact. I'd argue that in a stable ecosystem raising temps can favor certain pathogens that would then decimate their hosts and potentially lead to a chain reaction with the net result being a less complex and lower quality ecosystem. Basically, the butterfly effect. Loss of plants and animals that make human life a richer experience...

This guy would be crushed in a debate, he's not that sharp, and seems biased and emotional.

IMO, it makes sense not to radically change how much CO2 is in the atmosphere, and to preserve nature in general. OTOH, the people calling for radical actions and who believe in doomsday scenarios are too biased to make reasonable decisions or to evaluate evidence in an impartial manner.

I think we simply can't know what effects increased CO2 levels and raising temps will have with any reasonable degree of certainty due to the great non linearity of natural systems and their complex interdependence. Considering our ignorance as a species, it seems wise to err on the side of caution and reduce CO2 emissions, stop throwing plastic in the rivers and seas, reduce population, etc... these should be priorities even if there is no climate emergency.

Reactions: VLS and ack

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
What clearly isn’t being factored into current climate projections is natural forcings in energy exchange and also the game of thrones factor... clearly winter is coming, along with the arctic wildfires... just that the white walkers are much more likely to get here even quicker now they have an undead Tesla cybertruck as well as an undead dragon... obviously!! Dudes chill on the all knowing... we are all just making projections though the scientific ones are much easier to believe than the I have a feeling in my bones observations of the not so science. Either way peak oil is on its way out and greenhouse gas emissions are well beyond all 800,000 year recording and the planet is clearly now in a long term slow thaw and not in a sudden reversed coldslaw. That’s just science. PS the earth Is not flat either and the last time we checked the earth was also rotating around the sun. Just sayin.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I think that we are still alive. ...For now us here, but not everywhere on the planet.
We are still driving vehicles propelled by gas...the majority of us.
We heat our homes with various methods, in North America with electricity, natural gas, oil, wood, solar panels, ... but electricity is big.

The temperature changes with the seasons, volcano eruptions, natural hurricanes, smoking chemnys, CO2 in the ozone layer, in the buzy cities with buzy highways, the polar caps, ice, glaciers, etc. ...many natural elements and also others man-made...big factories releasing all sort of stuff in the air, in the rivers, in the lakes, in the oceans...plastics, chemicals, smoke, hot toxic stuff, etc.
We are into oil exploration everywhere because we can find it everywhere by shaking the ground under our feet, under the ocean floor, under the artic ice, ...

We all love money, making it, spending it, buying toys, all sort of toys and commodities. We love fast cars and Italian designs, great sounding audio rigs, HBO, Netflix and Tidal.
Women love shoes, Italian dresses, French umbrellas, Spanish purses, diamonds and lingerie.
We eat well...fresh fish, lettuce, carrots, watermelons, avocados, filet mignon, tomatoes, mashed potatoes, Swiss cheese, chicken, cereals, pineapple juice, ...
We have doctors, hospitals, dentists, washing machines repairmen, we have lawyers, financial advisers, we have insurances, security, privacy and pensions. We have universities, degrees and good paying jobs.

The Earth still rotates and is in orbit, the other planets follow the course.
We still see the moon and the sun and the billions of stars.
We have water, clean water, drinking water, irrigation water, swimming pool water with chlorine to keep it bug-free.

The grass is green mainly in our neighbor's yards...slightly greener depending.
Some are yellower and brownish depending of the area, time of the year, dryer seasons.
We have gardens, flowers, birds, cats, dogs, horses, zoos.
Brief we live free, drug lords-free, war-free, stress-free and we are moderate in alcohol consumption and prescription medicine.

We see good if wearing glasses or not and we hear good if our ears are young and healthy.
We still walk without a cane or rolling golf cart.
We still research to cure cancer. We work hard to stay healthy, we exercise on the trampoline and go to the gym and yoga classes. We skate on ice in Winter and paddle in the Summer.

Seems the same world as it was when we were born; the main difference being our physical shape and looks; mustaches, grey hair, larger biceps, dryer skin, puffed eyes, smaller belly buttons.

All in all it's not too bad in our own backyards but can't say the same for all backyards, depending on the conditions.

We maintain our parks relatively well, visitors like to visit.

Underneath it all we are more concern about us than about them.
What's new in this? We live more for now should we live less for tomorrow?

Who's right who's wrong what difference does it make?
How do we fix what's coming up before we can get out?
It seems all nice and peaceful should we be worry about climate change, fires, earthquakes, ice melting, oceans rising, water drying, pollution in the air, in the big cities, in the soil, in the oceans?
Who's cities, who's oceans...people living in them and nearby and around or others (from other planets)?

I just had a talk with someone, about everything, about changes, about living older, about new arrivals (babies), about winter coming up, about cold, snow, about colder temperatures, about the North, about the Eskimos and the penguins, about shorter daylight, about grey skies, about the sun being covered, about life, The Irishman, first man on the moon, Jimmy Hoffa, about the Big Bang and the Last Bang.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It's insanity. To my knowledge, the US is the only country in the world where a major political party engages in climate change denialism. I guess that's part of our American exceptionalism (being sarcastic here). And yes, Breitbart and Fox News are pure propaganda indeed. But people, including otherwise intelligent ones, like to be brain-washed, it seems.

. . .

PURE POLITICS HERE!!! PLEASE STOP!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: PeterA

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
" people, including otherwise intelligent ones, like to be brain-washed" is more high end audio than politics

Reactions: ddk

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
With Brexit, we're about to practice ecomomic Hari Kiri that will make a nice practice run for the true end of civilisation.

. . .

NO POLITICS!!! I HAVE COMPLAINED ABOUT YOUR BREXIT POLITICS POSTS PREVIOUSLY!!!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
NO POLITICS!!! I HAVE COMPLAINED ABOUT YOUR BREXIT POLITICS POSTS PREVIOUSLY!!!

Ron, those are older posts, one is from over two years ago and the other ten months ago.
If you are going back to all the threads from WBF beginning ... well you know.
I think you missed the dates.

* And Marty you were correct; the first link was a worthy reply, the second was also but I respect the point you made.

Edit: ago

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron Resnick

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, those are older posts, one is from over two years old and the other ten months old.
If you are going back to all the threads from WBF beginning ... well you know.
I think you missed the dates.

Better late than never to highlight violations of our ban on politics.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
We all know by now Ron. I was expecting this reply from you.

Even Paul McGowan, of PS Audio, I believe has decided finally to stop discussing politics on his blog. I replied to one of his posts that “nothing good comes from mixing audio and politics” and he replied that he agrees.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Actually, Ron, this is not politics, but facts. Anyway, as Bob pointed out, the post is some 2 years old. I would not have written that post these days.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
" people, including otherwise intelligent ones, like to be brain-washed" is more high end audio than politics

LOL, yeah it's high-end audio too, for sure.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Actually, Ron, this is not politics, but facts. Anyway, as Bob pointed out, the post is some 2 years old. I would not have written that post these days.

Thank you, Al.

But “Fox News [is] pure propaganda” is not a “fact.”

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ron Resnick
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing