More 70's Music on Vinyl- Original or Early Pressings

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
AcousTech did the CCR catalog, Steve Hoffman/Kevin Gray. I have their Cosmo's release and thought it sounded great, but that was the only time I've heard that album. Surprisingly the original Fantasys are very cheap. I have a weak condition Willy and the Poor Boys and even through the SN it's a nice, punchy rocking pressing, I'm looking forward to the upgrade.

I like so many of their tunes, including 'Fortunate Son.' For some reason, perhaps because of the movies on the subject, I always link them with Vietnam stuff. They were great.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
To add to the pile, the old Dunhill/ABC pressing of Three Dog Night-One is terrific. I bought a copy a couple weeks ago that turned out to be trashed, but found another that plays M-. We are talking about 8 dollar records here folks, clean 'em and play 'em. They sound great! (Some terrific songs on this record).

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
To add to the pile, the old Dunhill/ABC pressing of Three Dog Night-One is terrific. I bought a copy a couple weeks ago that turned out to be trashed, but found another that plays M-. We are talking about 8 dollar records here folks, clean 'em and play 'em. They sound great! (Some terrific songs on this record).

I would love to have a great copy of that LP.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I would love to have a great copy of that LP.

Get 'em while they're hot. i think both (the trashed one and the minty one) were around 8 bucks each. Suitable for Framing is good too.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Suitable for framing is actually one of my favorites. I have always said that Three Dog Night had three of the best voices in rock music.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The Three Dog Night show I attended at the Montreal Forum (not the infamous L.A. one) was one of the best concerts ever. Their harmonies are almost second to none.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
The Three Dog Night show I attended at the Montreal Forum (not the infamous L.A. one) was one of the best concerts ever. Their harmonies are almost second to none.

I saw them in concert many, many years ago in Louisville, KY, and they were outstanding.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
For fans of singer/song writer male vocals I've been really enjoying Nick Drake's three albums. The original US pressings on Antilles (these have come down quite a bit in price since the recent reissues came out) and early UK pressings for all of them sound great. And the Pink Moon reissue that came out recently is fantastic as well, but make sure you get a European pressing since people are reporting the US pressings are on noisy vinyl.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I have the Pink Moon reissue, don't remember where it was pressed, the label looks like the old pink rim.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
For fans of singer/song writer male vocals I've been really enjoying Nick Drake's three albums. The original US pressings on Antilles (these have come down quite a bit in price since the recent reissues came out) and early UK pressings for all of them sound great. And the Pink Moon reissue that came out recently is fantastic as well, but make sure you get a European pressing since people are reporting the US pressings are on noisy vinyl.

I'm a drake fan, i can take it in small doses. pink moon is well recorded and imo, the most accessible musically. the song writing is darker on other albums, perhaps a precursor to his untimely suicide which some point to his well known depression (and sexual ambivalence).

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm in absolute amazement at how good this UK Harvest 3a/3b DSOTM sounds. Like a veil was lifted. Stunning!:D

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
In keeping with the spirit of cheap, easy to find, great records, sonically and musically, Jim Croce, You Don't Mess Around with Jim, old ABC pressing. (Mine still has the shrink). I haven't heard this on a real hi-fi ever. Worth the 2 bucks!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
In keeping with the spirit of cheap, easy to find, great records, sonically and musically, Jim Croce, You Don't Mess Around with Jim, old ABC pressing. (Mine still has the shrink). I haven't heard this on a real hi-fi ever. Worth the 2 bucks!

Indeed! Played it a while back. :)

Jim Croce - You Don't Mess Around With Jim.JPG

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Just bought from a member at the SHF's:

Kate Bush–The Kick Inside–U.K. EMI LP–laminated cover is VG+ (due to creasing)/LP is NM; matrixes end in 1 and 4. Correct UK white, curved corner inner sleeve–$13.00

Neil Young–Harvest–Orig. U.S. Reprise–tan labels, leaning slightly to orange as was common on Harvestn –STERLING and LH on side 1; STERLING on side 2 (no LH on side 2); Cover is EX++ (just some very light back ring wear, almost impossible to see); textured brown inner is perfect, no splits, tears, etc.; lyric insert is also perfect; LP is EX+ (a few extremely light scuffs, none affecting play - the cleanest copy of this I have ever had. $32.00

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Just bought from a member at the SHF's:

Kate Bush–The Kick Inside–U.K. EMI LP–laminated cover is VG+ (due to creasing)/LP is NM; matrixes end in 1 and 4. Correct UK white, curved corner inner sleeve–$13.00

Neil Young–Harvest–Orig. U.S. Reprise–tan labels, leaning slightly to orange as was common on Harvestn –STERLING and LH on side 1; STERLING on side 2 (no LH on side 2); Cover is EX++ (just some very light back ring wear, almost impossible to see); textured brown inner is perfect, no splits, tears, etc.; lyric insert is also perfect; LP is EX+ (a few extremely light scuffs, none affecting play - the cleanest copy of this I have ever had. $32.00

The LH Harvest is fabulous.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011

it is a nice sounding record with great tunes. i have the rainbow label ABC which i believe is the later pressing. the vers in Johnny's pic is the 1st press w/ gatefold jacket?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
it is a nice sounding record with great tunes. i have the rainbow label ABC which i believe is the later pressing. the vers in Johnny's pic is the 1st press w/ gatefold jacket?

Gatefold..yes. Not sure if its first press.

Side One - ABCX 756-A-RE-2
Side Two - ABCX 756 -B-RE-1

There are also some very very faint scribbles that look like #'s...327? I can't really make it out.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Let me add one of my choices that I think you'd enjoy...provided of course you are a fan.

Gordon Lightfoot - Summer Side of Life (Reprise Tan/Orange label MS 2037)
Deadwax: Side One - 31191 / Side Two - 31192 ....there are other markings as well, but I can't make them out.

Deadwax matrices are also on the label underneath the catalogue # as (31,191) and (31,192)

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Stevie Wonder's "Songs in the Key of Life" (1976) original pressing is pretty fine!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing