Modem SMPS spec/upgrade question

dgale

Sep 22, 2020
Two questions really about replacing power supply to Xfinity Gateway Modem/Router -

1. Any benefit to replacing stock 12v/4.6a power supply with aftermarket such as ifi iPower SMPS? I have several external LPSUs throughout my system but wonder if wall to modem is worth an upgrade (As I wrote this, I imagine the answer is “of course “.

2. Stock SMPS for Gateway modem/router is 12v/4.6a ASAIK iFi and others only supply 12v/1.8 or 12v/2a Would reduced output spec like this be ok?

ecwl

Mar 20, 2021
Winnipeg, Canada
In theory, no. I think John Swenson at Audiophile Style talked quite a bit about the issues with SMPS & Ethernet connections. Because of the way Ethernet cables are designed, if you're using unshielded CAT-5 cables from your router to your music streamer, the only noise that can go from the router to the music streamer should be high impedance ground current leakage noise which comes from the SMPS of the router (or iFi power SMPS) through the ethernet cable into the streamer and then leaks out through the SMPS/LPS of the streamer. The cheapest way to prevent that is to use a gadget like iFi Groundhog+ (or get somebody to build the cable for you) and ground the SMPS at the router to the power plug so that the noise can't get into the Ethernet cable. The most expensive way to deal with this would be to change the router's SMPS to LPS. But replacing one SMPS with another SMPS might change the amount of leakage noise but not necessarily solve the problem. Of course, if you use shielded CAT-5/6/7 cables, more noise can leak from your router to the streamer which would be a different issue.

That said, lots of people talk about lots of changes to the sound they hear when the switch things up. So your mileage might vary.

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
I have two media converter boxes that create a fiber bridge from my ethernet (Ethernet > Fiber > Ethernet), this goes into my streamer. I added LPS to them, with a better one on the end that goes to the streamer. This made a positive impact on my system. Next I have a switch upstairs that takes one ethernet from downstairs and splits it out into the upstairs, of which one goes to the media boxes I described above. I decided to try an LPS on this switch, skeptical that it would make a big impact on my system.

I was surprised to find that it did improve my system. Not a big difference, but definitely worth the money I put into it. The difference was smoother more liquid sound, deeper blacks/less noise, overall better flow.

I am considering getting an LPS for my Modem/Router too sometime, wondering if that will continue to provide rewards.

From my experience I'd recommend it as a possible small refinement to a system that is already pretty much there, if you have the funds.

These Gateway/Modem/Routers use a lot more power than an ethernet switch, hence the 4.6 amps of the SMPS, this means a relatively beefier LPS. Here's one that should do the job though. I would email Alvin on the site to confirm this though. I use this very same voltage/VA LPS on my Lumin U2 Mini and can recommend its acumen as a LPS.

LHY Audio (Jay's Audio) LPS80VA

Reactions: NaimYourTubes

MaxwellsEq

Mar 18, 2023
The very large switches in vast data centers have to be extremely efficient to minimise the very high cost of heat extraction. They are often based on advanced PWM type switching. I suspect that more than 99% of Ethernet packets in the world pass through devices powered by PSUs designed to minimise waste energy. If the PSUs in these data centers interfered with the accuracy and timing of the packets passing through them, the center designers would have to replace them.

In practice, assuming it is not faulty, a PSU will not change the characteristics of the packets passing through the device it powers. Over decades I've worked with a large number of Ethernet switch manufacturers with hundreds of model types over many generations of networking hardware. In all this time and experience, I've never encountered a PSU have any impact on Ethernet characteristic unless it was faulty.

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
Two questions really about replacing power supply to Xfinity Gateway Modem/Router -

1. Any benefit to replacing stock 12v/4.6a power supply with aftermarket such as ifi iPower SMPS? I have several external LPSUs throughout my system but wonder if wall to modem is worth an upgrade (As I wrote this, I imagine the answer is “of course “.

2. Stock SMPS for Gateway modem/router is 12v/4.6a ASAIK iFi and others only supply 12v/1.8 or 12v/2a Would reduced output spec like this be ok?
The iPower and iPower X do not have sufficient current for your router. You would need to go to the iPower Elite, which is 12V 4A. I am pretty confident you would hear an improvement with the Elite or a linear supply on your router.

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
In theory, no. I think John Swenson at Audiophile Style talked quite a bit about the issues with SMPS & Ethernet connections. Because of the way Ethernet cables are designed, if you're using unshielded CAT-5 cables from your router to your music streamer, the only noise that can go from the router to the music streamer should be high impedance ground current leakage noise which comes from the SMPS of the router (or iFi power SMPS) through the ethernet cable into the streamer and then leaks out through the SMPS/LPS of the streamer. The cheapest way to prevent that is to use a gadget like iFi Groundhog+ (or get somebody to build the cable for you) and ground the SMPS at the router to the power plug so that the noise can't get into the Ethernet cable. The most expensive way to deal with this would be to change the router's SMPS to LPS. But replacing one SMPS with another SMPS might change the amount of leakage noise but not necessarily solve the problem. Of course, if you use shielded CAT-5/6/7 cables, more noise can leak from your router to the streamer which would be a different issue.

That said, lots of people talk about lots of changes to the sound they hear when the switch things up. So your mileage might vary.
Here's a post where John discusses the SMPS grounding issue:

The iPower Elite does not need any additional grounding, as it has a three prong AC plug which grounds the DC connector.

Last edited:

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
The very large switches in vast data centers have to be extremely efficient to minimise the very high cost of heat extraction. They are often based on advanced PWM type switching. I suspect that more than 99% of Ethernet packets in the world pass through devices powered by PSUs designed to minimise waste energy. If the PSUs in these data centers interfered with the accuracy and timing of the packets passing through them, the center designers would have to replace them.

In practice, assuming it is not faulty, a PSU will not change the characteristics of the packets passing through the device it powers. Over decades I've worked with a large number of Ethernet switch manufacturers with hundreds of model types over many generations of networking hardware. In all this time and experience, I've never encountered a PSU have any impact on Ethernet characteristic unless it was faulty.
A PSU change on a DAC, streamer, network switch, FMC or router, will definitely change the final sound quality. I have experienced this many times. EMI and RFI have no effect on the data in the network, but do affect the D to A conversion.

Last edited:

MaxwellsEq

Mar 18, 2023
A PSU change on a DAC, streamer, network switch, FMC or router, will definitely change the final sound quality. I have experienced this many times. EMI and RFI have no effect on the data in the network, but do affect the D to A conversion.
For the networking side, iperf3 would be able to help demonstrate the benefits.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing