Miyajima Zero Mono Cartridge VS EMT HMD 025

kozzmo

Nov 19, 2019
Does anyone out there have any experience with BOTH these cartridges?

Experience with the Miyajima Zero is well documented but I have never been able to find any real comparisons to MONO offerings from EMT, specifically the HMD 025.

Both are 1 mil offerings...I understand the HMD might have vertical compliance and the ZERO does not....

I am getting close to pulling the trigger on a new mono cartridge..but am torn...I can save a little with the EMT...

I have been using a Lyra Dorian mono for more than a decade now, but it's time to move on...

Also wouldn't mind hearing comparisons with either of these cartridges to the more modern monos like the Lyra's....

Thanks
David

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
Does anyone out there have any experience with BOTH these cartridges?

Experience with the Miyajima Zero is well documented but I have never been able to find any real comparisons to MONO offerings from EMT, specifically the HMD 025.

Both are 1 mil offerings...I understand the HMD might have vertical compliance and the ZERO does not....

I am getting close to pulling the trigger on a new mono cartridge..but am torn...I can save a little with the EMT...

I have been using a Lyra Dorian mono for more than a decade now, but it's time to move on...

Also wouldn't mind hearing comparisons with either of these cartridges to the more modern monos like the Lyra's....

Thanks
David

See my post on this subject. If most of your mono listening is reissues then stick with 0.7 mil spherical or modern non-spherical. If you plan to play mostly older microgroove LPs then a 1 mil stylus is appropriate.
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...-cartridge-on-mono-reissues.22938/post-446308

Ctkendall

Sep 8, 2020
David
curious which pu went with. I’m a Zero owner but considering the EMT to match my SUT. Haven’t heard much about how the HMD sounds relative to the vintage EMT monos or relative to Miyajima.

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
David, Would love to see this inquiry come full circle and hear about your choice and the outcome to a dedicated mono cartridge.

Can’t remark on your comparison interest as I’ve never heard the EMT, let alone in the same set up.

What I can tell you is the Miyajima 0.7 for me has been a phenomenal insight into modern mono pressings. A dedicated mono cartridge truly is a MUST have. As many others have written, I was bowled over by the palpable fleshiness, a very deep soundstage, a strong sense of rhythm and texture, and a greater fullness of body of these recordings compared to even some very notable stereo cartridges.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing