Miscommunication ...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I don't know the level of misinterpretation in the world today on average in any given day...zero clue.
It just popped up sometimes out of nowhere, like it did just now. I just don't know why.
Anyway, just for fun I decided to investigate ...

We have Messenger, smart phones, Face Time, Skype, Emails, computers, Macs, 4G, 5G, Tower cells, telephone lines, we have so many devices and technologies to communicate, more than there are people on the planet. Our cars are communication devices, we have Blue Tooth, satellites patrolling all skies above, drones, Google glasses, our music servers are communicating their music searches, our TVs are equipped with mics and cameras...we talk to our families through our TV screens, front projectors, everything comes with a remote, if not we use our androids and get a new app, we talk to our stereos to turn them on and off, adjust the volume, tune to the person we're calling, etc., etc., etc.

We have all the tools available to know what's happening anywhere in the world and to communicate solutions to issues.
And yet we often fail miserably to get the basic info across.
Hmmm..., miscommunication or what?

https://www.userlike.com/en/blog/causes-of-miscommunication

https://www.moneycrashers.com/causes-miscommunication-use-plain-language/

If only we could all speak and understand and write in all world's languages...US English, UK English, Canadian English, Mexican English, French English, Japanese, Chinese, Italian, German, Russian, French, Spanish, African, Indonesian, Indian, ...

Plus understand all technologies from past, present and future. Know everything and how to translate into 7.65 billion of people.

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Bob,
I’m not sure if we actually suffer from a lack of information today, rather that we are more just short on wisdom. More information may not buy us more wisdom.

What if overloading a mind with information without contextual application for us utterly caused an overload that prohibited us from then applying it sufficiently and actually being able to digest it appropriately let alone deeply. If we can’t digest what we are fed than there is no nourishment. It is perhaps nourishment in life and in knowing and relationships and physical and spiritual wellbeing that ultimately leads to true satisfaction and perhaps then some whole and lasting happiness.

There can be complete misunderstanding with even very clear communication and accurate information. Conflicts grow out of lack of understanding and there is no guarantee that people having information actually have understanding.

Information without experience isn’t of itself really the whole box or dice. In the age of information technology and communication we venerate information and seem to have access to almost infinite information yet many still seem to miss the point of living completely.

There is so little discussion of deeper purpose and meaning and so much on everything else. We have more access right now to information than at any time in our recorded history and yet the national happiness index has been sliding downwards since its first inception and the measurement of happiness is at an all time low. Just sayin.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Well said.

By the way, Finland is the happiest country in the world.
. . .

How do we know this is factually accurate? You saw it on the internet?

(On its face this assertion doesn’t make any sense to me, as few people would be happy living in cold conditions except for possibly June, July and August.)

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last edited:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Seems like the same problem existed in the Garden of Eden...good luck.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
? https://www.forbes.com/sites/duncan...-countries-in-the-world-in-2019/#7253e8f748a5

? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Happiness_Report

Snow is fun Ron; you can skate on rivers in the winter, play hockey outside, cross country skiing,
toboggan, all family fun winter festivities and keep in shape.
And happiness is more than just the weather, as you can see how they evaluate in the wiki link above; it's a combination of several factors.

I don’t believe that survey.

I knew this was nonsense! Here are the categories of the survey:

“The sub-bars show the estimated extent to which each of six factors - levels of GDP, life expectancy, generosity, social support, freedom, and corruption - contribute to making life evaluations higher in each country than they are in Dystopia, a hypothetical country that has values equal to the world’s lowest national averages for each of the six factors.”

These categories, to me, bear very little relation to day-to-day happiness. No wonder the Scandinavian countries score well — weather is not even a factor!

Never take anything you read on the Internet at face value.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I am not giving you a hard time, Bob. Sorry if it came across that way.

So what is your answer to your opening post? Do you think we have too much information or too little information?

Do we have too few people or too many people on the Earth?

All I know is that when the cost of communication equals almost zero, as it does now, the volume of communication becomes almost infinite, and the quality of the communication declines.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I don’t believe that survey.

I knew this was nonsense! Here are the categories of the survey:

“The sub-bars show the estimated extent to which each of six factors - levels of GDP, life expectancy, generosity, social support, freedom, and corruption - contribute to making life evaluations higher in each country than they are in Dystopia, a hypothetical country that has values equal to the world’s lowest national averages for each of the six factors.”

These categories, to me, bear very little relation to day-to-day happiness. No wonder the Scandinavian countries score well — weather is not even a factor!

Never take anything you read on the Internet at face value.

I never believe what I read on the Internet, never. I know better than that; that's why music is the best langage of communication and it makes people happy. :)

Reactions: Ron Resnick

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I am not giving you a hard time, Bob. Sorry if it came across that way.

So what is your answer to your opening post? Do you think we have too much information or too little information?

Do we have too few people or too many people on the Earth?

All I know is that when the cost of communication equals almost zero, as it does now, the volume of communication becomes almost infinite, and the quality of the communication declines.

I know that Ron, you cool man, I like you.

* Here's to go a little further in my thought regarding miscommunication:
But first it's best to read the two short links I provided in my opening thread.
Because they mentioned some of the things contributing to miscommunication.

There could be several factors that lead to chaos, misunderstanding.
By eliminating them all from the line of communication between the communicators involved in the communication is to gain universal understanding.
Information is very good, the more the better. We simply have to use it for the benefit of all.

The number of people on Earth is not what I'm interested in in this thread right here right now, only miscommunication and related issues. Each country is responsible for their own population management.

We pay for information; it's not free. Internet, TV, smart phone monthly plans, fiber optic highway, satellites, newspapers, ...they all cost money, subscriptions cost money.
Nothing is free when it comes to the news around the world.

Some news are garbage, and leads to miscommunication.
It's important to have accurate scientific news based on real facts.
Anything; atmosphere, space, air, water, oil, electricity, natural resources, economic statistics, company's revenues, stock markets, housing, jobs, happiness.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing