Memory Player 2023

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
Wow! That's some technology description!

agisthos

Oct 14, 2012
A while back (in the mid 10’s) these guys were taking orders for 20k+ product and then not delivering for years, multiple years. This was when it was run under Laufer Teknik. Check with them first that they have the product on hand to deliver.

unboxed

Apr 24, 2017
I used different iterations of Laufer-Teknik Memory Players for many years. My last Memory Player was delivered in 2021 after a 23 month wait. It is a one-off failed science project. But the description of it is fabulous. I had nothing but problems with it and it did not come with the digital outputs I specified so I cannot use any external DAC. Now it sits on the floor next to the desk I am typing at. It is bricked AGAIN. I need to get a neighbor to help me load it into my car and take it to e-waste.

It is a total loss. A very expensive lesson learned. I replaced it with a product from a reliable company that delivers a consistent, known product.

Attachments

• DSCN1051.JPG
    DSCN1051.JPG
    799.3 KB · Views: 94

Scott Naylor

Mar 19, 2021
I used different iterations of Laufer-Teknik Memory Players for many years. My last Memory Player was delivered in 2021 after a 23 month wait. It is a one-off failed science project. But the description of it is fabulous. I had nothing but problems with it and it did not come with the digital outputs I specified so I cannot use any external DAC. Now it sits on the floor next to the desk I am typing at. It is bricked AGAIN. I need to get a neighbor to help me load it into my car and take it to e-waste.

It is a total loss. A very expensive lesson learned. I replaced it with a product from a reliable company that delivers a consistent, known product.
That’s horrible, unboxed. I’m sorry you've had to deal with that. Thanks for sharing your cautionary tale

unboxed

Apr 24, 2017
Here is a better picture without the .jpg label hiding a critical part. A glued in iFi DAC. The iFi has a separate external power switch without a light so it is not possible to tell if the DAC is on or off without playing music. The DAC has an external remote to change settings but since the display is hidden it is all a guessing game. If music will not play is the DAC on and the setting wrong or is the DAC off?

As I said previously. I moved on to a reliable company with a reliable product. The music is good. Life is good. :D

Attachments

• DSCN1049.JPG
    DSCN1049.JPG
    802.2 KB · Views: 100

Republicoftexas69

Here is a better picture without the .jpg label hiding a critical part. A glued in iFi DAC. The iFi has a separate external power switch without a light so it is not possible to tell if the DAC is on or off without playing music. The DAC has an external remote to change settings but since the display is hidden it is all a guessing game. If music will not play is the DAC on and the setting wrong or is the DAC off?

As I said previously. I moved on to a reliable company with a reliable product. The music is good. Life is good. :D
Wow thats some shady stuff there!

AlexBerlin

May 8, 2023
Hello friends, I own two memory players by Laufer Teknik, one as as a player and one as a server, connected via ethernet over an uptone audio etherregen and external esoteric g-02 lock. In my opinion, these machines should be seen as a project similar to the Taiko Extreme, in the sense that every owner should feel invited to modify the software ecosystem and hardware in order to further improve the sound. Both products are MS Windows based and in fact and in the end Personal computers (the Taiko in fact with more hardware product design and better cooling) . I have made several significant improvements in my MP machines without being myself a Computer expert (better cooling without fans, Windows optimisation via Fidelizer software, network cards, more capacitor based power filtering, modification of the running tasks on the several cores, better implementation of the IDEAS software, etc.). In the end the Memory player beats other machines as Antipodes K50 or Linn Klimax DSM by far. I have had the opportunity of direct comparisons between these three server solutions and in my system there is no doubt about the MP being number 1. it sounds like master tape, the Antipodes in direct comparison is dark, narrow, compressed. The Linn is crisp but with condirably lower dynamics and very dry without the incredible tonal richness of the MP. Therefore you should see the PC-like optics and the sometimes clumsy Windows 10- Jriver/Qobuz for Desktop Software base as an opportunity. Other products are more beautiful by far but you can not modify them yourself. If it comes to sound the Memory Player with its unique IDEAS software is still a absolute World Class server, I am quiet sure about it. The onboard DAC on the other hand seems to be a mere gimmick.

Reactions: emyyl and CKKeung

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
I had 3 different iterations of MP, before I got the very first one, Sam Laufer explained in detail what I was getting into, with emphasis of being a software based system. I also investigated about the model with the iFi DAc, and again, Sam disclosed everything… I knew how good the iFi iDSD Pro was, because I had been using it in one of one of other systems for a while. Mark modify and upgrade it quite a bit when used with MP system.

AlexBerlin

May 8, 2023
I can confirm that a lot of Memory Players during all the years seem to be unique when it comes to the parts it was built of so this may apply to the onboard DACs as well. So my DAC "version" at home (Tube and not tubed, dating from 2022) may be an underperformer compared to other MP DACs.

Staxxx

Jul 8, 2018
I am having a problem with one channel of my MP64. I too have had many iterations of the Memory Player for over 15 years and have been happy with the sound and the software service through Team Viewer. Sam is usually quite busy so it does take a while to get your player.
Anyone using the latest iteration? Any issues? I understand they have moved away from the IFI Dac and now use the DAC in the graphic card on the Intel motherboard itself. So it is completely a software based solution. However I am unable to comment on it as one channel isn't playing.

Staxxx

Jul 8, 2018
I am having a problem with one channel of my MP64. I too have had many iterations of the Memory Player for over 15 years and have been happy with the sound and the software service through Team Viewer. Sam is usually quite busy so it does take a while to get your player.
Anyone using the latest iteration? Any issues? I understand they have moved away from the IFI Dac and now use the DAC in the graphic card on the Intel motherboard itself. So it is completely a software based solution. However I am unable to comment on it as one channel isn't playing.
Happy to say this has been resolved and Sam Laufer has been most responsive. In fact I would say he has always been one of the few in the audio industry that has always been there to provide support, guidance and advice.

Reactions: wisnon and Dimfer

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing